E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

First mods to my new 08 535i...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 06:36 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just took delivery of my new 535i 6-speed manual... and just wanted to say: LET THE MODDING BEGIN.

I am coming out of a mildly built 06 EVO SE running about 320AWHP and 320AWTQ.. looking to get out of the crazy EVO style world of driving.. so went for the 535.. my first german car after several IS300's, S2000, NSX, etc...

I was looking to start with the H&R Coilovers (I always go with coilovers BUT with this car is it necessary or is it ok to go with the H&R race springs?) I will not be tracking/racing or anything like that.. just a DD with a aggressively lowered stance. I will be changing my wheels as well with some Work, SSR, Breyton, or others but will not be doing so till 6-12 months down the line...

So, anyone with H&R Coilovers? H&R Race Springs? H&R Sway bars that can chime in on how they feel, etc?

My second question: I have been looking all over the place, forums, searches, etc, but I CANNOT find a short shift kit for my car. I know barely anyone has this car in manual but why doesnt anyone make the short shift kit for this car? If anyone knows, please help me out...

Thanks again.. and happy to be part of the BMW E60 community.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 528i: Alpine White/Creme Dakota Leather/Bamboo Anthracite Wood Trim; Premium pkg, Ipod USB (6FL), Xenons, sunroof, Eibach pro-kit 1.2" drop all around, limo tint all around. LED license plate festoons. Soon to come: M6 replica 19" rims, Angel Eyes mod, fog light mod.

Originally Posted by Boosted4Door' post='679983' date='Sep 27 2008, 10:36 PM
I just took delivery of my new 535i 6-speed manual... and just wanted to say: LET THE MODDING BEGIN.

I am coming out of a mildly built 06 EVO SE running about 320AWHP and 320AWTQ.. looking to get out of the crazy EVO style world of driving.. so went for the 535.. my first german car after several IS300's, S2000, NSX, etc...

I was looking to start with the H&R Coilovers (I always go with coilovers BUT with this car is it necessary or is it ok to go with the H&R race springs?) I will not be tracking/racing or anything like that.. just a DD with a aggressively lowered stance. I will be changing my wheels as well with some Work, SSR, Breyton, or others but will not be doing so till 6-12 months down the line...

So, anyone with H&R Coilovers? H&R Race Springs? H&R Sway bars that can chime in on how they feel, etc?

My second question: I have been looking all over the place, forums, searches, etc, but I CANNOT find a short shift kit for my car. I know barely anyone has this car in manual but why doesnt anyone make the short shift kit for this car? If anyone knows, please help me out...

welcome and congrats on the new car!!
i dont have H&R springs but i will advise if u r gna drop then go for at the least for 1.5 all around. i did 1.2 on mine and the front is fine but the back is just not anything i wanted at all.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

Welcome to the forums & congrats on the new car. .......call these guys http://www.aatuning.com/viewproduct.aspx?id=Product45A they don't show any E60 stuff but they do sell them. BTW your front sway bar is active on sport suspension cars so I wouldn't mess with it. Post some pics of your ride when you can.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: No mods

H&R coilovers will give you a harsh ride. Try going with KW V2 or Bilstein PSS9 coilovers.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:43 PM
ADD
Senior Members

I also have a 6-speed 08 535. Had it delivered 8/15. Great car. Did you order from the factory or locate from inventory and incoming? When I was looking in July/August, there were only 6 6-speeds in the whole country that had PP/SP/CW that were not spoken for. Or did you get a used one? Details on the car?
Old 09-27-2008, 07:50 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ADD' post='680001' date='Sep 27 2008, 08:43 PM
I also have a 6-speed 08 535. Had it delivered 8/15. Great car. Did you order from the factory or locate from inventory and incoming? When I was looking in July/August, there were only 6 6-speeds in the whole country that had PP/SP/CW that were not spoken for. Or did you get a used one? Details on the car?
I went to Beverly Hills BMW - just a few min from my house.. and I told them I was looking for a 6-speed, they just had 1 on their lot which was loaded, with the exact color combo I wanted!

Just really looking for a short shift kit!!!!!!!
Old 09-27-2008, 07:54 PM
Members

Originally Posted by alpinewhite' post='679995' date='Sep 27 2008, 08:33 PM
H&R coilovers will give you a harsh ride. Try going with KW V2 or Bilstein PSS9 coilovers.
I've gone with H&R springs before on other cars and love the quality and feel. I have never tried their coilovers.. as I always go with Tein since I have always had Japanese cars. The EVO I am coming out of had a somewhat harsh ride with the Tein Coilovers (However, I made sure to use my stock rubber pillowball mount). When you use the aftermarket metal mount, that is what kills the ride with total harshness.

H&R always has great quality and feel at a reasonable price. The KW V2 and PSS9 will cost much more..

Have you experienced the H&R coilovers on your own car? Are they TOO stiff or just right? Thanks again for your input.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: No mods

Originally Posted by Boosted4Door' post='680004' date='Sep 27 2008, 08:54 PM
I've gone with H&R springs before on other cars and love the quality and feel. I have never tried their coilovers.. as I always go with Tein since I have always had Japanese cars. The EVO I am coming out of had a somewhat harsh ride with the Tein Coilovers (However, I made sure to use my stock rubber pillowball mount). When you use the aftermarket metal mount, that is what kills the ride with total harshness.

H&R always has great quality and feel at a reasonable price. The KW V2 and PSS9 will cost much more..

Have you experienced the H&R coilovers on your own car? Are they TOO stiff or just right? Thanks again for your input.
One of my friends and forum member mikebuzzsaw had H&R coils on his 550i. He told me the ride was harsh and stiff. He also said if he had more money at the time, he would had gotten the KWs.

Indeed H&R sport springs are great, I had them too on time on my ride before I had my Bilstein PSS9. I went coilovers because the ride is much sportier and it is height & stiffness adjustable.

PM NeRwEEzy or r1racer for coilovers, they got good deals.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:03 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

welcome and enjoy the forums. PM sent
Old 09-28-2008, 01:49 AM
Contributors

i personally have KWv2's on my 535 and the ride is perfect. i never w anted to lower it due to the seemingly harsh ride, but bit the bullet and took a chance on the KWv2's after hearing great things about it. i am totally and completely happy with the ride and drop!

i recently sold a set of KWv2's for one of my sponsors, Gravity Auto...at a insane price! PM me and let me see what i can do for you, if you're interested.

Quick Reply: First mods to my new 08 535i...