E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

First Mod on my 545i - RPI Exhaust + RPI scoop

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 12:07 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i Black Sapphire Metallic - RPI Exhaust, RPI scoop

Okay.. so I've been a consistent forum surfer for quite some time now but I haven't posted anything because
I really didn't have any useful input up until now. I finally got the chance to shuffle my priorities and decided to
invest in my first mod: RPI Exhaust & RPI Scoop

I put in a lot of time into searching for the correct exhaust and at first it was going to be b/w the Remus and the
Billy Boat but then I ran across a thread on the RPI exhaust. After researching, listening and comparing... I decided
to go with the RPI. I gave Eloy a call and despite being busy as hell, he took some time out to speak with me and
NOT get irritated by my novice questions. At the time, RPI was offering a deal and so I got a scoop as well.

Overall thoughts:

Personally, I was looking for sound more than anything else in my exhaust. I love the way the RPI exhaust sounds.
It has an aggressive note and the tips are a lot wider ....putting my OEM tips to shame. The note is the loudest
in the cabin around 1700-2000 RPM (just like others have mentioned in previous posts) and smooths out at
higher speeds. Some people have complained about the cabin noise at those RPMs but I love it.
At idle, the car sounds great as well.

According to some posted dyno charts from RPI in previous threads, the performance increase is ~13hp. Driving
it, I feel that it is "faster" but that could also just be the illusion I create in my head after hearing that great exhaust
note ... I'll give the RPI folks the benefit of the doubt though.

As far as the RPI scoop goes...I'm not too sure if it is making a difference. I want to say that I do feel like I'm quicker
at speeds above 70mph but I'm not totally sure. Its definitely not hurting my performance so I'm keeping it on.

Anyway... here are a few pictures and a link to the youtube video. Let me know what you guys think:

Attached Thumbnails First Mod on my 545i - RPI Exhaust + RPI scoop-pic_0001.jpg   First Mod on my 545i - RPI Exhaust + RPI scoop-pic_0008.jpg   First Mod on my 545i - RPI Exhaust + RPI scoop-pic_0009.jpg   First Mod on my 545i - RPI Exhaust + RPI scoop-pic_0012.jpg  
Old 06-22-2009, 12:09 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

looks great, congrats. Nice tips
Old 06-22-2009, 12:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i Production date: 02/04 Color: Black Sapphire Metallic Trim: Anthracite Options: Sport package with STEPTRONIC, Premium Sound, Rear Sunshade, Xenon

sounds great!!!
Old 06-22-2009, 12:43 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Congrats on the PRi Exhaust!
Old 06-22-2009, 02:21 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 545i Black Sapphire - Fully Loaded
Model Year: 545i 2005

anyone know how this compares to the magnaflows? louder? quieter?
Old 06-22-2009, 02:56 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Mystic Blue Metallic 545I

Originally Posted by Blizz' post='920163' date='Jun 22 2009, 01:07 PM
Okay.. so I've been a consistent forum surfer for quite some time now but I haven't posted anything because
I really didn't have any useful input up until now. I finally got the chance to shuffle my priorities and decided to
invest in my first mod: RPI Exhaust & RPI Scoop

I put in a lot of time into searching for the correct exhaust and at first it was going to be b/w the Remus and the
Billy Boat but then I ran across a thread on the RPI exhaust. After researching, listening and comparing... I decided
to go with the RPI. I gave Eloy a call and despite being busy as hell, he took some time out to speak with me and
NOT get irritated by my novice questions. At the time, RPI was offering a deal and so I got a scoop as well.

Overall thoughts:

Personally, I was looking for sound more than anything else in my exhaust. I love the way the RPI exhaust sounds.
It has an aggressive note and the tips are a lot wider ....putting my OEM tips to shame. The note is the loudest
in the cabin around 1700-2000 RPM (just like others have mentioned in previous posts) and smooths out at
higher speeds. Some people have complained about the cabin noise at those RPMs but I love it.
At idle, the car sounds great as well.

According to some posted dyno charts from RPI in previous threads, the performance increase is ~13hp. Driving
it, I feel that it is "faster" but that could also just be the illusion I create in my head after hearing that great exhaust
note ... I'll give the RPI folks the benefit of the doubt though.

As far as the RPI scoop goes...I'm not too sure if it is making a difference. I want to say that I do feel like I'm quicker
at speeds above 70mph but I'm not totally sure. Its definitely not hurting my performance so I'm keeping it on.

Anyway... here are a few pictures and a link to the youtube video. Let me know what you guys think:

Video clip
sounds great.
is there alot of work involved in doing this? or is it pretty much cutout old one and replace new one?
Old 06-22-2009, 03:03 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by ConviktColby' post='920309' date='Jun 22 2009, 06:56 PM
sounds great.
is there alot of work involved in doing this? or is it pretty much cutout old one and replace new one?
The mechanic that installed mine got it done in 20 minutes
Old 06-22-2009, 03:28 PM
Contributors

omg it sounds SO sick.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:59 PM
Members

watching your clip and other clips of 545's with the rpi exhaust on makes me want 1 now lol
Old 06-22-2009, 06:09 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Black Sapphire Metallic - RPI Exhaust, RPI scoop

Originally Posted by ConviktColby' post='920309' date='Jun 22 2009, 06:56 PM
sounds great.
Thanks man... its an easy job. Just like you said, cut out and then bolt on. It took the shop about 30
minutes

Quick Reply: First Mod on my 545i - RPI Exhaust + RPI scoop