E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

A few things I'm unclear on...any insights?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 07:27 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: SOLD...Jet Black 2008 550i M Sport with SAT, black interior. RPI exhaust and air scoop, 35% huper optik tint all around, CF roundels, flat black kidneys, Springfield Armory XD-40 jet black in glove box, charcoal filter removed.

OK, so what are spacers for the rear tires and when do you need them / what do they do for you?

Also, the LED's on the top of the LCI headlights - should they be on when the lights are on? Are they suppose to be (OEM) white or orange?

Euro stickers for the front and rear (?) lights - what are they and what do they do for the look?

Wheels - OK to just paint them or is powder coating the way to go? If paint is ok, what kind of paint to use?

I don't like the shiny look of the "eyebrows" on the headlights - any one tint them out or otherwise mute that bling bling someway? Same with the rear lights.

Have a 2008 550i sport, sport auto tranny - is an ECU update really worth anything? I already have the RPI axle back exhaust, RPI scoop.

Thanks for the help.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:20 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bha7176' post='1030483' date='Oct 12 2009, 11:27 AM
OK, so what are spacers for the rear tires and when do you need them / what do they do for you?

Also, the LED's on the top of the LCI headlights - should they be on when the lights are on? Are they suppose to be (OEM) white or orange? Orange

Euro stickers for the front and rear (?) lights - what are they and what do they do for the look? Euro stickers cover the orange look lights

Wheels - OK to just paint them or is powder coating the way to go? If paint is ok, what kind of paint to use? Please powdercoat, can't imagine them handnpainted (or buy a coated rim)

I don't like the shiny look of the "eyebrows" on the headlights - any one tint them out or otherwise mute that bling bling someway? Same with the rear lights. I've tinted tails and headlights I agree with the too "blingy" look

Have a 2008 550i sport, sport auto tranny - is an ECU update really worth anything? I already have the RPI axle back exhaust, RPI scoop.

Thanks for the help.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:32 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

spacers brings the wheels out a little to give it a more aggressive stance

Also, the LED's on the top of the LCI headlights - should they be on when the lights are on? Are they suppose to be (OEM) white or orange?
The LEDs on the top of the headlights are the eyebrows. The eyebrows are supposed to be amber and turns on when either ur parking lights or low beams r on. Me and nigxdoof are working to change that to white

Euro stickers for the front and rear (?) lights - what are they and what do they do for the look?
euro stickers are used to get rid of the amber reflector in pre-LCI headlights. U have LCI. It does not apply to you

Wheels - OK to just paint them or is powder coating the way to go? If paint is ok, what kind of paint to use?
powder coat is the best but u can paint them. I used duplicolor wheel paint with good results. Prime, base coat, then clear. I wouldnt powdercoat cast wheels though.

I don't like the shiny look of the "eyebrows" on the headlights - any one tint them out or otherwise mute that bling bling someway? Same with the rear lights.
many members have tinted that section. member C's Bimmer has his rear turn signals and front eyebrow tinted.

ECU reflash gives u a little more hp but much better throttle response and drivability. I recommend it. Powerchip is a good choice. Otherwise, u also have Dinan nearby.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:43 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

1) Spacers are used mainly to push the wheels out closer to the fenders for a more flushed and aggressive look. Another use is to clear calipers on big brake kits. They are used where needed, fronts and/or rears, not necessarily just rears only.

2) Yes and orange

3) I assume you're referring to Euro Stickers being sold by member AKAlius. They are used to cover the orange reflector portion that are integrated into the headlight housing on pre-LCI cars. Your LCI car doesn't have that.

4) You can paint or powdercoat your wheels but powdercoating is supposed to be more durable.

5) What shiny part of the eyebrows are you talking about? The lights themselves? Same with the taillights. What part of the rear lights are "shiny"?

6) Yes. Even though the gains are nominal on a normally aspirated car like your 550, aftermarket software can improve throttle response, remove the speed limiter and raise the rev limiter.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

j/k hope all these above answers helped
Old 10-13-2009, 07:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: SOLD...Jet Black 2008 550i M Sport with SAT, black interior. RPI exhaust and air scoop, 35% huper optik tint all around, CF roundels, flat black kidneys, Springfield Armory XD-40 jet black in glove box, charcoal filter removed.

Thanks guys, appreciate the info. Clears up alot.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='1031066' date='Oct 13 2009, 12:43 AM
6) Yes. Even though the gains are nominal on a normally aspirated car like your 550, aftermarket software can improve throttle response, remove the speed limiter and raise the rev limiter.
Some tuners, such as PES Tuning, located outside of Philly claim an over 20 bhp gain from their ECU reflash (PES's claimed gains are 23 bhp and 18 lbs-ft: http://www.pes-tuning.com/) for the price of $795. Member Brit in NJ has that particular reflash for his 545 and seems happy with it. Dinan claims a 30 bhp gain if you get its high flow intake system ($1099), high flow throttle body ($449) and Stage 3 ECU reflash ($699).

There is no way to get the 100 bhp gains that some tuners claim from reflashing the 335's/535's ECU and turning up the turbos' boost from a simple ECU reflash or slapping on a few performance-enhancing parts such as a RPI ram air scoop and a RPI exhaust. That kind of gain would take massive mods, such as a Supercharger or boring/stroking the engine. For that kind of $$$, you're in M5 territory.