E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

A Few New Mods (Long Post)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 03:45 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 06 550i
Model Year: 06
Default A Few New Mods (Long Post)

So it's been awhile since I posted a mods thread. These are just the recent ones I completed. I can post the entire list if anyone is interested. All of these I installed myself and pretty sure I got sick the other week because of the body kit install.

I started out by getting a few things off of ebay. First a set of replacement shifter and e-brake boots/gaiters. They're black with gray stitching, to match the trim. I then ordered a set of under door lights, I think they are the only black and white ones on ebay. I also got the handbrake handle custom engraved. The seller offers it for about $3 more. It took about a week of searching to find a font package that matched BMW's number font.

Moving on from ebay, I got a set of floor mats with contrast silver stitching from BavAuto. I decided to get a set of F10 side markers from Bimmian. I could have went with ebay but I wanted somebody to yell at if I got condensation or anything like that in them. The previous LED set I had this issue, along with the plastic cover literally falling off and pass. side intermittently not working. Granted by the time I replaced them it had been 3 years but still. Since the old LED sidemarkers had been spliced directly to the car I ordered an e39 ext. temp sensor wire repair kit from bavauto since I needed more wire and an actual plug for the new ones.

Now going to OEM upgrades, I don't know how many people here have heard of Troy Jeup, but he is a E60,63,64 M breaker. He offers brake sets shipped with 75% life for $800 and 95% for $950. I got a 75% set and just a heads up because I didn't see this in any of the recent threads about conversion to M5 brakes you will need part number 34111123072, which is basically a slightly longer rotor hex bolt. The rears rotors you will have to drill holes into them to make them match the bolt pattern for the little hex bolt, M5's have two bolts for each side of the rear so its your choice on how far to go with this. You will also need to either trim or replace the dust shield on the rears. I bought a $70 Dremel 3000 and a 20 pack of cutting attachments that I used for this and two other jobs. Almost forgot while I was down there I swapped in a set Stoptech SS brake lines, too. Also, the previous pic is before I've bedded them in, I will once I get those bolts on.

Still on OEM I bought a Mtech complete retrofit kit from GetBMWParts. Since I don't have a way to drop the kit off or pick it up without getting a friend with a truck I researched the 3 places around me that did bodywork. Surprisingly, I ended up going with Macco. They recommend I have it shipped to them and while talking to the owner he recommended that if I'm able to put the kit on myself, I should instead of paying the $700 his system quoted him. I had searched and found DIY's here on doing the conversion so I agreed. About 4 days after it showed they called and told me it was ready for pickup. It looked fantastic!! The only problem with it, which really wasn't a problem, was it didn't have as much orange peel on it as the OEM paint did, LOL. I used the box it came in to take it the 10 or so miles back to the house.

Now this is where the fun starts and If I hadn't gotten sick I would have made a DIY about it. So following, I believe addy545, on the rear and side made them easy. This is where I should point out that I believe there are multiple kits out there not just depending on pre or post LCI. From what I could see addy was not in the US and got a kit, or maybe he ordered the parts individually, but if he had a kit it contained replacement parts for the rear while mine didn't. I had to reuse multiple little screw captures during the bumper swap. Doing the sideskirt swap my kit came with complete replacement parts that I didn't use at all. Moving on to the the front I couldn't find one for pre-LCI but I figure it had to be the same so I used two for LCI cars. Turns out there's a major difference, pre-LCI doesn't come with a new foam absorber, you have to cut it to fit the new bumper support brackets onto it, I used my Dremel. Also neither one said that there are two supports that hold the old bumper on where you screw the new brackets into. I ended up ripping the old bumper off of these, luckily I didn't break them. I'll take a pic of the front later on, so you guys can tell me how the fitment is.

Last mod I did was switching to the motivemods "DCT" shifter retrofit. I would have to caution anyone doing this that this mod is permanent since you have to cut the stalk down to make it work. I used the Dremel here with a plastic bag to catch for the metal shavings. I prefer this look over the M5 SMG I've had for a few years. The ///M always bugged me on it. Let me know what you guys think of the leather boot.

Finally the last thing I did was 6 hours of paint correction on top of a basic detail done at a high end shop east of Seattle named Metropolitan Detail. I trusted these guys to fix my car after a buddy went to a self-serve car wash and used the foaming brush and thought he was doing me a favor. The quick video posted below is now on their webpage showing what paint correction is. I have mixed feelings about my car being the poster child for their paint correction skills.

Last edited by ETNav382; 05-03-2014 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:59 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 535d Sport

Does that shifter do away with the button you have to press to shift out of Park?.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:09 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I agree with you, I don't like people using my stuff either for their adverts. If they ask for consent, then perhaps, but just to use it and not ask is rather rude. At least in your case it's only a black hood that really shows. I had a vendor here once high jack some of my posting pictures and use for their website without asking. Pictures actually showed full car, partly my house and driveway. It just made me feel a little violated. They eventually removed them but only after I insisted. If they had asked up front, then perhaps I might have agreed to it.