E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Feed Back Needed | Custom Eyebrow Painting

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 08:26 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

hey everyone, i want to get some feedback on a project thats currently in progress...i took inspiration from four people (Eugene, DKNewYork, Ehssan and TheRacerBoss) and did a unique treatment to my headlights....

however before i wrap everything up (and while im waiting on my highpower LEDs to arrive in the mail) i want some feedback on the color scheme. in the attached pic, what ive done is the Ehssan black-out method with hi-gloss black paint (looks awesome btw), im doing the Eugene white LED treatment on the eyebrows and i took out the eyebrow assembly, painted it hi-gloss white, then masked out the areas where the actual tube and LEDs shine outward....frosting all other portions. (this means that the white LED light will shine directly forward clear as day w/o clouding, but the residual light will illuminate the frosted portions of the brow assembly as well.

only thing is....my car is Silver Gray Metallic....im not sure if the white treatment (tho looks awesome) meshes well with my dark color scheme. im considering taking off the frosting and turning the eyebrow assembly gloss-black instead....but as TheRacerBoss pointed out...i wont have much contrast.

shoot me some opinions....i have until wednesday (when i get all my LEDs to decide what to do before sealing things back up). The pic was a quick test fit/color check shot before i glued in my Orion V2s...
Attached Thumbnails Feed Back Needed | Custom Eyebrow Painting-photo-25-.jpg  
Old 07-25-2011, 08:30 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That white pops out a lot especially with the background blacked out, not sure if I'm too into it, it doesn't look horrible though. Maybe a more close up picture of the entire headlight?
Old 07-26-2011, 10:47 AM
Senior Members

Update....decided to go with a Gray color...closer to my paint color....here is another test shot (post Orion V2 install). Dont worry, i already know i need to clean up the frosting job.

i think im going to take the eyebrow portion (plastic piece) back out and have it sprayed at my local paint shop my exact paint color A08 Silver Gray Metallic. That combined with the frosting looks awesome.

Attached pic is with the gray color instead of white from yesterday...

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails Feed Back Needed | Custom Eyebrow Painting-photo-16-.jpg  
Old 07-26-2011, 11:58 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks better good choice
Old 07-26-2011, 12:03 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Silver looks way better. White stands out too much. Did you frost the lens yet? (pic with the silver) Interested on how it'll look lit up. That's the only thing I didn't do. Test it with the LED on. Looking good. I may have to do this now.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:18 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Sport Alpine White Options: Nav, Cold Weather Pkg, Comfort Pkg, Black Dakota Leather, Folding Rear Seat Mods: Dinan Free Flow Exhaust, Dinan Stage 2 Software, Dinan High Flow Intake System, Dinan High Flow Throttle Body, Carbon Fiber Front Strut Tower Brace, HID 8000k Fogs, LED Super White Side Markers Coming Soon: HID 8000k Angel Eyes and Lowbeams

I kinda liked the white because of the contrast. Off topic, is that a gloss black grill?
Old 07-26-2011, 10:01 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by GGTill
I kinda liked the white because of the contrast. Off topic, is that a gloss black grill?
I think OP posted in another post that he painted. Actually you can paint it gloss black or low gloss if you want to. Just sand, primer and spray paint with clear coat then you're set.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:33 PM
Senior Members

update....color matched AEs to my paint code A08 from my local paint shop...i think ima go this route (if i can remove this damn frost paint from the other headlight).

white LED eyebrows lit, Orion V2s not wired yet...check out that gloss black inside the headlights tho!

thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails Feed Back Needed | Custom Eyebrow Painting-photo-27-.jpg  
Old 07-28-2011, 06:26 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by umichchris
update....color matched AEs to my paint code A08 from my local paint shop...i think ima go this route (if i can remove this damn frost paint from the other headlight).

white LED eyebrows lit, Orion V2s not wired yet...check out that gloss black inside the headlights tho!

thoughts?
Need to take some shots further away to make judgment. So far looks good.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:42 AM
Senior Members

two more pics attached....

i think this is my final desired product. i just need to get the frosting off the other eyebrow now...

anyone know a good way to get paint off of clear plastic w/o discoloring it or pitting it? help!
Attached Thumbnails Feed Back Needed | Custom Eyebrow Painting-photo-17-.jpg   Feed Back Needed | Custom Eyebrow Painting-photo-18-.jpg  

Quick Reply: Feed Back Needed | Custom Eyebrow Painting