E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Factory sat not possible? I don't buy it.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 08:55 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i

This isn't the first time a German luxury manufacturer told me an upgrade wasn't possible. First Mercedes told me it was impossible to retrofit COMAND in my last car. I did it in 2 hours on a Saturday afternoon -- all it took was the COMAND head unit, GPS antenna, a length of wire for the VSS, some basic hand tools, and a couple bottles of Sam Adams. Now BMW tells me that I can't install factory Sirius in my 2004 530i (production date 7/2004). I don't believe that at all.

They say it's missing some wiring harness. Okay. So then I need to know what that harness is so I can get that too. I love BMW but they're a pain in the ass to deal with... at least with this sort of thing.

The service department provided me with a few printouts about the car. The first one lists all the vehicle data and options. Options:
  • 0ZCW Cold Weather Package
  • 0ZPP Premium Package
  • 01CA CO2 relevant vehicles
  • 0403 Moonroof
  • 0459 Power front seats
  • 0524 Adaptive light control
  • 0639 BMW Assist
  • 08SP CO2 control
  • 0925 Shipping package
  • 0ZFA First aid kit
  • 0ZPS Premium Sound Package
  • 0205 STEPTRONIC automatic trans
  • 0441 Smoker's package
  • 0522 Xenon headlights
  • 0605 BMW Assist software
  • 0697 DVD Area coding, North America (not sure what that is)
  • 0818 Battery switch
The other printout they gave me is some DIS/Diagnostic Report from when they put my car on the computer. It has a crap ton of information, but I don't know if any of it is relevant.

Anyhow I guess my issue is that I refuse to accept that it's "impossible" because they really haven't given me a good reason yet. It seems like they're saying it's impossible only because someone else told them it is -- not because they actually know what's involved. Maybe it's complicated and expensive, but I don't care. I don't want some aftermarket radio hanging off my windshield and an extra (and very visible) black antenna on my gray car. I've heard from a few people that it is actually fairly easy to integrate but requires me to sacrifice the CD changer that came with the Logic7. I'm actually willing to do that because I'd use the satellite more than I'd use CDs.

It may be of note that I'm also considering retrofitting the navigation system (just waiting on a final price) -- I'm not sure if that will make the satellite install easier.

Sorry about the length and tone of this too. I'm just really frustrated with the situation. The driving experience has been phenomenal, but the customer service and technical experience has been far less than impressive. I've gotten only general and conflicting information from BMW NA and the local BMW center.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Welcome on the forum!
I hope someone will be able to help you!

But don't forget to indicate your location in your profile!
Old 09-23-2007, 03:54 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='473335' date='Sep 23 2007, 02:13 PM
Welcome on the forum!
I hope someone will be able to help you!

But don't forget to indicate your location in your profile!
Thanks for the welcome, and good point -- I added my location to my profile.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:06 PM
Members

Any luck with this im about to purchace a 04 545i with nav and no prep and im ready to do what ever ot get it integrated
Old 10-29-2007, 07:24 AM
Members

It is "possible". I have been scouring the internet because I just bought a 2005 545i without satellite prep (the sales rep initially told me they could install it no problem). I spoke with BMW North America, and they did say it is possible, but cost prohibative for the average purchaser. I called up Greenwich BMW (An earlier post claimed they were going to do it for him) and they too said it is possible. However the service tech I spoke with said they need a $1,500 adapter in addition to the Sirius receiver, wiring and antenna. I don't know how much I believe that they need that $1,500 adapter, so I am still trying. In this post:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=43765
Rotton said Sonnen BMW in California did it for his 2004 545i that didn't have satellite prep. I have a call in to them and I am waiting for their return call. I will post back my findings.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:49 AM
Members

I spoke with Jackie at Sonnen BMW in San Rafael, CA. It can be done, and they have done it. She estimates that it takes 4-5 hours, and the parts needed are the Sirius receiver and install kit (no $1,500 adapter necessary). You will lose your 6 cd changer though. But when done, it does operate through the iDrive.

Also thanks to Rotton. He was very helpful and answered my barrage of PMs very quickly.

I then called my local BMW salesman who "owes" me (looong story). He is going to his service manager to try to talk him into performing this custom retrofit. I will post the results soon.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:36 AM
Members

Update: My sales rep at West German BMW said their service department can and will do it. They are pricing it out, and are going to let me know how much it will be. More details to follow.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:22 PM
Contributors

Doesn't affect me, but this is good news. It's a shame there is not a standard retrofit parts and price list, rather than having to go through such issues and find such different opinions on what is needed and different prices!
Old 11-03-2007, 08:39 PM
Members

man if you can get a price let me know ive got a 04 545 with nav no prep and no changer ill drive it down there (in CT) if they want to do 2 of them maybe we can get a discount worst case if i could see the parts list i would do it and then take it to be coded !!!! this is great news
Old 11-04-2007, 03:53 AM
Members

mines prewired for the changer is it as easy as using the wiring for it and running a antenna????? I wonder

Quick Reply: Factory sat not possible? I don't buy it.