E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Eyebrow Turn Signal mod

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009 | 09:36 PM
Members

My Ride: Jet Black 2006 525i: Cold Weather Package, HUD, Navigation System, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Premium Sound System.

I was thinking tonight on my way home that it would be cool to see an eyebrow mod done so that your eyebrow would blink if you turned on your signal. I was thinking that it could be done with a digital logic gate, in particular an EXOR gate. You could connect the signal that tells the eyebrow to be on to one input. Then splice the signal from the turnsignal to the other input. and the output would ultimatly go to the eyebrow. For those of you who arent an electrician and dont know how one of these work...

The 'Exclusive-OR' gate is a circuit which will give a high output if either, but not both, of its two inputs are high. An encircled plus sign () is used to show the EOR operation.

In lamens terms, if both inputs were off then so would the output signal. So If the lights were turned off and the turn signal was off, then so would your eyebrow. If one or the other was on then your eyebrow would be on. If your signal was turned on, and your lights were on, then your eyebrow would be off. Now they only thing with this suggested modifcation is that the eyebrow would alternate being on and off with the actual turnsignal light. If ones on, the other is going to be off.

The thing is, is I dont have the money to buy extra headlights to tinker with it. Plus Im not experianced enough to just go off and try this on my own I think. So im scared. Thoughts and inputs are welcomed.
Old 09-29-2009 | 11:09 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 525I CARBON BLACK WITH CREAM LEATHER AND SILVER INSERTS, FULL CUSTOM KEVLAR AND CARBON KIT, BUMPERS SKIRTS SPOILERS, CARBON VENTED BONET, CARBON MIRRORS, M5 WINGS, PURE HID FOGS, PURE WHITE EYES, XENON ADAPTIVES, CUSTOM GRILLS, 19" ONE OFF RIMS, APEXI SPRINGS -30MM, GROOVED DISKS AND EBC PADS, 40MM SPACERS ALL ROUND, CARBON DYNAMICS AIR INDUCTION KIT, CUSTOM MADE 80MM EXHAUST SYSTEM FROM CAT BACK WITH TWIN SQUARE EXITS, RDS CHIP TUNING, LIGHTENED FLYWHEEL, IPOD INTERFACE, AUX IN, MEDIA CENTER PC WITH ACTIVE INTERNET THROUGH 3G, MUTLIMEDIA INTERFACE, 2 ALPINE 7"TVS IN HEADRESTS, 2 1000WRMS ROCKFORD AMPS, 2 ALPINE XSERIES 12" SUBS SEALED ENCLOSURE, 2 JBL GT 12" SUBS PORTED ENCLOSURE, 2 FARAD CAPACITOR, KEF MIDS 8 AND 4S, COMING SOON PROFESIONAL NAVI.

Originally Posted by HollowPoint503' post='1020749' date='Sep 30 2009, 07:36 AM
I was thinking tonight on my way home that it would be cool to see an eyebrow mod done so that your eyebrow would blink if you turned on your signal. I was thinking that it could be done with a digital logic gate, in particular an EXOR gate. You could connect the signal that tells the eyebrow to be on to one input. Then splice the signal from the turnsignal to the other input. and the output would ultimatly go to the eyebrow. For those of you who arent an electrician and dont know how one of these work...

The 'Exclusive-OR' gate is a circuit which will give a high output if either, but not both, of its two inputs are high. An encircled plus sign () is used to show the EOR operation.

In lamens terms, if both inputs were off then so would the output signal. So If the lights were turned off and the turn signal was off, then so would your eyebrow. If one or the other was on then your eyebrow would be on. If your signal was turned on, and your lights were on, then your eyebrow would be off. Now they only thing with this suggested modifcation is that the eyebrow would alternate being on and off with the actual turnsignal light. If ones on, the other is going to be off.

The thing is, is I dont have the money to buy extra headlights to tinker with it. Plus Im not experianced enough to just go off and try this on my own I think. So im scared. Thoughts and inputs are welcomed.

wow sound like a lot of work to get it right, at work we use the same priciple for sound systems and tanoy systems it drives me nuts
Old 09-29-2009 | 11:23 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by infinityjk' post='1020799' date='Sep 30 2009, 03:09 AM
wow sound like a lot of work to get it right, at work we use the same priciple for sound systems and tanoy systems it drives me nuts

i was thinking about messing with it... but i am wondering if it is really reliable and make it turn off and on while it is blinking...

but i know for sure... i am not messing with those headlights...
Old 09-29-2009 | 11:50 PM
Banned

My Ride: A Car

they sell something that u splice in and makes it a whole world simpler. I forgot what it is tho. gotta research
Old 09-30-2009 | 04:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 M5

Originally Posted by infinityjk' post='1020799' date='Sep 30 2009, 03:09 AM
I'm not sure if you'll get any warnings with the mod but it is doable.
Old 09-30-2009 | 09:11 AM
Members

My Ride: Jet Black 2006 525i: Cold Weather Package, HUD, Navigation System, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Premium Sound System.

Originally Posted by 545ier' post='1020888' date='Sep 30 2009, 08:56 AM
I'm not sure if you'll get any warnings with the mod but it is doable.
Yea thats the problem. Im scared of doing it to my set of headlights. because i have to drive mine to work. And i cant roll around without headlights if it goes wront. Lol.

Hey john, did you find anything on that splice?
Old 09-30-2009 | 09:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Well here's the thing... the way the eyebrow lights up is based on one led. Now, I don't know if it's actually possible to signal just that one led (and not the other 5) to go on and off.

Unless, of course, you want the other leds to go on and off as well.
Old 09-30-2009 | 01:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Next Gen LEDS

using this logic, it should technically work, the only problem is implementing this design. however, maybe a different encoder might have to be used
Old 09-30-2009 | 03:25 PM
Contributors

How about sequential turn signals on the eyebrows.
Old 09-30-2009 | 04:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 BMW ///M5 V10

Why not just tap the trigger wire for the turn signal with the eyebrow wire?

Quick Reply: Eyebrow Turn Signal mod