E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Explain how a tune works after addition of intake and exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 04:48 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I had an exhaust and intake put on my 07 530 and drove it for about a week. Then they removed my ECU (or whatever the computer is called) and "tuned" my software. The shop told me that the tune alone on the engine would boost the hp. But when you ad an exhaust and intake and more O2 comes in. The engine runs lean unless a tune is done to recaliberate for the inceased O2 and you get much more hp out of the mods than had you not tuned.

My question is how this works? Also if they take out the ECU to tune it-how does it "know" what mods I have on the car. Basically what are they tuning it to do after the mods are on?
Old 04-30-2007, 05:06 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by sleepyca31' post='419581' date='Apr 30 2007, 07:48 PM
So I had an exhaust and intake put on my 07 530 and drove it for about a week. Then they removed my ECU (or whatever the computer is called) and "tuned" my software. The shop told me that the tune alone on the engine would boost the hp. But when you ad an exhaust and intake and more O2 comes in. The engine runs lean unless a tune is done to recaliberate for the inceased O2 and you get much more hp out of the mods than had you not tuned.

My question is how this works? Also if they take out the ECU to tune it-how does it "know" what mods I have on the car. Basically what are they tuning it to do after the mods are on?
There is a balance between air intake, fuel system and exhaust back-pressure. If you lessen the restriction on air intake, then more air will come in but not more fuel unless you change something there as well. The same is true if you change any of these components without balancing the others. You can put on a low restriction exhaust system that sounds loud and powerful but your engine could be putting out less power if you did not change anything else.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='419593' date='Apr 30 2007, 06:06 PM
There is a balance between air intake, fuel system and exhaust back-pressure. If you lessen the restriction on air intake, then more air will come in but not more fuel unless you change something there as well. The same is true if you change any of these components without balancing the others. You can put on a low restriction exhaust system that sounds loud and powerful but your engine could be putting out less power if you did not change anything else.
So how do they "know" how much more air is coming in or how much less back pressure there is etc? I mean the exhaust and intake are on my car and my ECU was taken out-so do they just tune the computer to handle "more" 02 but do not tune it to any specfic amount?

What hp gains does this yeild on a 260hp car to begin with-exhaust/intake and tune?
Old 04-30-2007, 06:12 PM
Senior Members

all depends on who is doing the tuning on the car?
Old 04-30-2007, 06:58 PM
Members

there are actually sensors in the engine to detect the amt of o2 in the cylinders. i think the ecu upgrade will alter the limit for the amt of fuel that can be injected into the cylinders. (hope i'm right)
Old 04-30-2007, 07:09 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by sleepyca31' post='419610' date='Apr 30 2007, 08:57 PM
So how do they "know" how much more air is coming in or how much less back pressure there is etc? I mean the exhaust and intake are on my car and my ECU was taken out-so do they just tune the computer to handle "more" 02 but do not tune it to any specfic amount?

What hp gains does this yeild on a 260hp car to begin with-exhaust/intake and tune?
It is trial and error. Its best to buy a complete system like the Dinan units where they have already done the brain damage and know the results.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:42 PM
Members

Originally Posted by sleepyca31' post='419581' date='Apr 30 2007, 05:48 PM

I think that instead of doing a search, you should ask this same question 5 more times in 5 different ways.

Post the shop you went to for crissakes, I'll call them, and ask them myself.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Originally Posted by Jed Peter' post='419669' date='Apr 30 2007, 10:42 PM
I think that instead of doing a search, you should ask this same question 5 more times in 5 different ways.

Post the shop you went to for crissakes, I'll call them, and ask them myself.
+1. Indeed. Please mention the shop where they remapped your ECU. Of course, I mean the shop that took out your ECU and sent it to Germany. A lot of people are curious. To be fair though, people do send their ECUs to Germany for remapping the ECU. I've looked into this in the past but can't get over the $1500 price. Also a bit dubious about their claims of +20 hp and +20 lb-ft torque, but some of our e60 brethren across the pond that have remapped their petrol engines swear by these tuners.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:25 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by vegastrashed' post='419675' date='May 1 2007, 07:09 AM
.some of our e60 brethren across the pond that have remapped their petrol engines swear by these tuners....
Non-turbo petrol engine remaps are quite rare as the gains are small.

Here we have visiting services and the remap is done at your own location. I know that at least one operator sends the original map to a German HQ and gets an email back with the new map which is then applied.

Most offer a free remap in the event of the remap being wiped after a Progman upgrade and only one AFAIK offers a warranty in the event that BMW withdraw warranty support because of the mod (which is claimed to be detectable only by BMW AG Munich).

ABC