E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Exhaust Video Clip Drone or No Drone

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 07:53 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by vegastrashed' post='528137' date='Feb 6 2008, 04:50 PM
1. Not sure, but I can find out. The secondary cats are sitting in the garage. I'll take a look tonight.
2. I have heard that the stock AMG mufflers are free flow, with a bit of baffling.
3. The more I talk to you, the more it sounds like I should reinstall the stock resonator. It'll save me some money too, which isn't a bad thing.
4. I don't know. I doubt it, but I have two years before I have to cross that bridge.
5. Will find out what the Renntech muffler is rated.

I know already what eliminated the droning in the stock AMG exhaust setup. It's the stock resonator. Here's a timeline of what I did to my exhaust:
1. I removed my resonator. Afterwards, I noticed a slight drone but overlooked it b/c the stock exhaust sounded louder and meaner. Eventually, got tired soon of the muscle car sound.
2. Replaced the stock mufflers with Renntech. I drove from the Bay Area to Socal right after the work was completed and noticed that the droning increased dramatically.
3. Removed secondary cats and replaced with x-pipe. Music to my ears, the muscle car sound replaced with refined V8 note. The droning was less but still driving me crazy.
4. Planning to insert bullet resonator in the location of the stock resonator. Having second thoughts and might just re-install stock resonator again. This will probably solve all my droning problems at the expense of loudness.
Actually, resonators are tuned based on the design of the headers. AMG probably spent $$$ on a header design, then design the resonators to tune down the high frequencies and some low frequencies while designing the mufflers to muffle the majority of low frequencies. If it's a free flow muffler design, you'll hear most of the low frequencies out the tailpipe. If you noticed cars with open headers (supermod camero and mustangs), the sound is a bit medium low and high; sort of like someone gargling.

Cats can act a sound suppressor too. Resonators will reduce the droning while mufflers are the ultimate component to eliminate the drone. If you have free flow cats, its effect on sound level/frequencies is like resonators. I suspect your Renntech muffler are much more free flowing than the stock AMG.

Were there any "x" ing on the stock system? If so, you can put back your cats (which probably does the same degree as your x-pipe with regards to sound level and frequencies reduce. It's probably more of an emission concern), reinstall your resonators (because they are built to tune down/out the sound created by your custom headers) and leave the Renntech mufflers in place. The muscle car sound is probably coming from the stock AMG muffler because that's the component in your setup that are most effective with sound manipulation.

If you still insist on the bullet resonators, then go for it. But keep in mind that eventhough it works on a V10, it may not do the same on a larger displacement v8.

The header, cats, resonators, and mufflers all do their job to give you the sound note, but the mufflers have the most and last "say." From behind the headers, the more free flow the component, the less effect it has on altering the sound level and frequencies. Keep in mind that resonators "tune" sound frequencies while muffler "muffle" sound. Cats usually act like mufflers, but their main goal is curbing emission.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='528252' date='Feb 6 2008, 08:53 PM
Cats can act a sound suppressor too. Resonators will reduce the droning while mufflers are the ultimate component to eliminate the drone. If you have free flow cats, its effect on sound level/frequencies is like resonators. I suspect your Renntech muffler are much more free flowing than the stock AMG.
I had a feeling the secondary cats acted like a sort of suppressant in addition to eliminating the noxious gases. My Renntech are absolute more free flow than the stock AMG exhaust.

Were there any "x" ing on the stock system? If so, you can put back your cats (which probably does the same degree as your x-pipe with regards to sound level and frequencies reduce. It's probably more of an emission concern), reinstall your resonators (because they are built to tune down/out the sound created by your custom headers) and leave the Renntech mufflers in place. The muscle car sound is probably coming from the stock AMG muffler because that's the component in your setup that are most effective with sound manipulation.
As a matter of fact there is a stock crossover right before the secondary cats as you can see in this pic.

Here is the after pic and the custom x-pipe by AAA exhaust in LA. If I end up putting back the secondary cats and resonators that would mean I wasted $$ on my beautiful custom x-pipe. I don't want to do that.

The header, cats, resonators, and mufflers all do their job to give you the sound note, but the mufflers have the most and last "say." From behind the headers, the more free flow the component, the less effect it has on altering the sound level and frequencies. Keep in mind that resonators "tune" sound frequencies while muffler "muffle" sound. Cats usually act like mufflers, but their main goal is curbing emission.
I had Darwin, the owner and Barrett, the master mechanic at Sonic go for a ride along in my car tonight and they both mentioned the drone isn't that bad. But, most important of all, my g/f hasn't mentioned anything about the drone. Hmm... I think my ears are too sensitive or picky. I was too spoiled by the RDSport exhaust.

I'm going to live with my current setup for now.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by vegastrashed' post='528279' date='Feb 7 2008, 12:30 AM
I had a feeling the secondary cats acted like a sort of suppressant in addition to eliminating the noxious gases. My Renntech are absolute more free flow than the stock AMG exhaust.

I had Darwin, the owner and Barrett, the master mechanic at Sonic go for a ride along in my car tonight and they both mentioned the drone isn't that bad. But, most important of all, my g/f hasn't mentioned anything about the drone. Hmm... I think my ears are too sensitive or picky. I was too spoiled by the RDSport exhaust.

That's a nice looking x-pipe and clean setup throughout. The h-pipe is part cause of your muscle car sound, by the way and your chambered AMG muffler added to the muscle car sound too. The Mustang guys can confirm that h-pipe are boomy while x-pipe is more Nascar like.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

I just wanted to point out for some people that read this thread and see a Mercedes Benz E63 AMG stock exhaust being discussed, the 6.3 AMG exhaust has similarities to the e60 M5 exhaust: two primary cats, two secondary cats, and resonator. The difference is the M5 has four mufflers whereas the E63 has two mufflers. Most M5 owners replace the stock four muffler setup with a two muffler setup like the E63. So, all the problems I've had with droning I can share with the BMW guys since the exhaust setup are so alike.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:46 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='527158' date='Feb 4 2008, 11:35 AM
.....Remus claims no droning with their quad system. Can someone post a similar video. I'd like to judge it myself. That goes the same for anyone that claims straight through aftermarket performance exhaust don't drone at all.
Well, my Remus does have some droning (not too much). Before buying mine I sat in Peter's 550 with the same Remus quads and I didn't hear/feel any droning at all, but I was in there for less than 3 minutes just going around the block. So maybe the 550's resonators (which have different part numbers than the 545's) do a better job of controlling droning. I plan on meeting Peter again in a couple of weeks to hear how his AFE sounds in conjunction with the Remus. I'll pay closer attention to see if there is any droning and whether it's at the same level as my 545.

I don't have a camcorder at the moment (my DVD camcorder is broken and I'm waiting to buy a flash card version that I saw at CES).....so I can't post a clip until April or so, when that camera comes out. However, I am copying and pasting below my opinion that I posted in my X-Pipe thread about the droning in your clips vs. my Remus:

I finally listened to your clips on my work computer. I would have to say that the Remus quad's droning is less than both the straight-through exhaust and the stuffed muffler. While the droning is not a huge deal lower than the stuffed muffler, it's still noticeably lower. Of coarse, I can't be a 100% accurate in my estimation since it does depend (to a degree) on the volume setting of the speakers when I listen to the clips.

It's interesting that when I listened to your clips on the tiny speakers of my laptop there was no droning at all, but on my work computer with the sub woofer I could both hear the droning and feel the vibrations of the droning as if I were sitting in the car. This just confirms that droning is a low frequency issue and the laptop's speakers are not able to produce low frequencies.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:02 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by rodybmw' post='528932' date='Feb 8 2008, 11:46 AM
Well, my Remus does have some droning (not too much). Before buying mine I sat in Peter's 550 with the same Remus quads and I didn't hear/feel any droning at all, but I was in there for less than 3 minutes just going around the block. So maybe the 550's resonators (which have different part numbers than the 545's) do a better job of controlling droning. I plan on meeting Peter again in a couple of weeks to hear how his AFE sounds in conjunction with the Remus. I'll pay closer attention to see if there is any droning and whether it's at the same level as my 545.

I don't have a camcorder at the moment (my DVD camcorder is broken and I'm waiting to buy a flash card version that I saw at CES).....so I can't post a clip until April or so, when that camera comes out. However, I am copying and pasting below my opinion that I posted in my X-Pipe thread about the droning in your clips vs. my Remus:

I finally listened to your clips on my work computer. I would have to say that the Remus quad's droning is less than both the straight-through exhaust and the stuffed muffler. While the droning is not a huge deal lower than the stuffed muffler, it's still noticeably lower. Of coarse, I can't be a 100% accurate in my estimation since it does depend (to a degree) on the volume setting of the speakers when I listen to the clips.

It's interesting that when I listened to your clips on the tiny speakers of my laptop there was no droning at all, but on my work computer with the sub woofer I could both hear the droning and feel the vibrations of the droning as if I were sitting in the car. This just confirms that droning is a low frequency issue and the laptop's speakers are not able to produce low frequencies.

90 hz frequency is your drone; when it's loud enough, it resonates.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:06 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by vegastrashed' post='528279' date='Feb 7 2008, 12:30 AM
VT, you're in denial.

Here's what my wife said about my car when I hang around the drone rpm:

"The sound makes this car look cheap . . . like it was in a wreck or something."

My response: "You don't know what racing exhaust is about."

Her response: "I don't care, it sounds cheap to me."

Old 03-03-2008, 09:15 PM
Members

My Ride: Grey on Auburn 545i SMG, Sports Pkg, Nav, Logic 7, PDC, 19" BMW Double Spoke 125.

Originally Posted by Bad Bimr' post='527876' date='Feb 6 2008, 09:02 AM
I think you are misunderstanding what I am saying.

I am saying keep the stock exhaust and Y-off the stock exhaust (similar to Remus quad for 530).

So when you have the electronic cut-off valve closed it will sound like stock.
When the out out valve is opened it will sound loud and mean. Also the cut-off valve can part fully opened or partially opened to tailor the sound that you want.

Here is a rough draft I came up with

Attachment 43945
BP! This sounds like the perfect setup! I've been wanting to get quads for a few months now, but from reading all of these postings on quad exhaust droning problems, I'm worried that I'd end up reverting back to stock. Being able to turn the quad on and off through this electronic cut off would be perfect.

Has anyone used one of these QTP cut offs before. Would exhaust shops have experience with these? I'm going to call around and see what I find out, but any more details would be helful.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:46 PM
Members

hey guys, sorry I haven't been around.

My remus on my 550 is awesome. There is zero droning.. and it sounds damn good.

I'm moving back to the bay area in 2 weeks so Rody, socal, vegas we should get together next week as I want to hear your exhaust systems.

I'm in beverly hills.. who wants to do a small meet?
Old 03-13-2008, 09:10 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by newbiebimmer' post='544020' date='Mar 12 2008, 10:46 PM
hey guys, sorry I haven't been around.

My remus on my 550 is awesome. There is zero droning.. and it sounds damn good.

I'm moving back to the bay area in 2 weeks so Rody, socal, vegas we should get together next week as I want to hear your exhaust systems.

I'm in beverly hills.. who wants to do a small meet?
That would be great as I would like to hear yours again. We have the same exhaust yet mine has some droning and it would be great if we could try them back to back and compare. I'm also interested in hearing your AFE.