E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Exhaust Video Clip Drone or No Drone

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 08:30 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by Bad Bimr' post='527475' date='Feb 5 2008, 09:29 AM
I agree that driving that car with that exhaust would drive me crazy.

Here is a perfect solution for quads.

Leave the stock muffler.
T-Off before the stock muffler and add an electric cut-off.
From the cut-off run a pipe to the other side and add your muffler (or not) of choice.
Chance the tips on the stock exhaust to match the new tips on the other side.

Now you have BOTH a quiet car when you don't want to wake the neighborhood and a loud car to feed your testosterone. Also adjusting the cut-off (on the fly) will allow you to make it sound almost any way you want.

When/If I ever go quads this is what I will do.

BP
BP,

I haven't seen a cut out valve that allows you to connect a third tubing/pipe from the valve. It's usually the just the opening. Perhaps you cut off the secondary muffler (one with the butterfly valve on it), and re pipe the same butterfly valve to go to the other side (right). You'll have to run additional length of rubber tubing for the relocated valve. That could be an idea.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by vegastrashed' post='527457' date='Feb 5 2008, 08:47 AM
I went to the shop last Saturday but the guy wasn't there.
Doesn't that tell you something?

How many horses is under that 6.3 AMG? You're lucky that you don't have space constraints like the 545i right side. You can do what you wish. What's the anatomy of the Renntech?

It sound to me like you've got too much flow at low rpm and glasspack, bullet resonators, or anything straight-through are not going to help too much to eliminate or reduce droning to acceptable levels. But, that's all theory.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:51 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by SoCalM5Mang' post='527423' date='Feb 5 2008, 03:20 AM
I've heard the Remus Quad System on two different cars in So Cal. There is very little droning but some. It's not as loud/beastly as a custom quad with X-Pipe though.

I think it sounds good Quy! There is no V-8 BMW engine with a custom exhaust that doesn't have "some droning".

Jay C
Based on your judgement, where does the Remus qaud fall between the straight through and stuffed muffler videos?

With the stuffed SS wool, I did noticed sometime odd at about 120-125 mph. I was in 5th gear, and decided to floor it, but the step did not respond. It didn't downshift to fourth (in DS mode) and I think 4th redlines at 130 mph. In any case, even if I was in 5th at 130 mph, I was expecting a response from the car. It was as though the car ran out of breathe. I was a bit disappoint and starting dreaming about a 500+ hp motor.

In any case, if someone can enlighten me, I greatly appreciated. Before I changed out the mufflers (had stock), the car responded the same way . . . 120 mph ish cruise, pedal to the metal . . . no response from the engine or tranny. Is that normal?
Old 02-05-2008, 09:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='527803' date='Feb 5 2008, 09:41 PM
Doesn't that tell you something?

How many horses is under that 6.3 AMG? You're lucky that you don't have space constraints like the 545i right side. You can do what you wish. What's the anatomy of the Renntech?

It sound to me like you've got too much flow at low rpm and glasspack, bullet resonators, or anything straight-through are not going to help too much to eliminate or reduce droning to acceptable levels. But, that's all theory.
Went back to the shop this morning to talk to the guy. Based on what I saw in and around the shop, Porsches, BMWs, MBs everywhere, I feel comfortable having him work on the E63. Also, he came highly recommended from a M5 owner that had bullet resonators installed to quiet down the M5 Eisenmann Race exhaust.

Right now, I'm certain that the 6.2L has over the rated 507 crank horsepower. Dyno numbers to come soon. I removed the restrictive charcoal filter, replaced the stock air filter with high flow AFE filters, remapped the ECU with Superchips software, gutted the stock exhaust from the primary cats back. By gutted, I deleted the secondary cats, resonators, and stock AMG mufflers. I replaced the secondary cats with a x-pipe that stretches all the way to the rear axle to the Renntech mufflers. Hopefully, I can take some pics this week of the undercarriage.

This Thursday, the E63 is getting dropped off and he's going to insert two bullet resonator right before the rear axle. Yes, the bullet resonators are straight through, but they're also perforated with stainless steel mesh wrapped around them.

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/991...tems/index.html
To get the least amount of backpressure, most of the good, high-performance mufflers available today have what is called a straight-through design. These type of mufflers quiet the exhaust by the absorption of high frequency vibrations in a heat-resistant packing usually consisting of stainless steel mesh and heat-resistant ceramic fibers. They typically have a straight inner core with no baffling at all, much like a straight pipe with many small holes. The pipe is louvered or perforated when it passes inside the muffler's shell, allowing sound energy to pass through the holes but leaving the exhaust gas flow unimpeded. You can see straight through these types of mufflers. The louvered or perforated core is usually wrapped with either Fiberglas wadding, hence the old-school term Glass-Pack or on the better mufflers, stainless steel mesh to help further absorb the sound. On straight-through mufflers, the longer the muffler, the quieter it is. The length usually has no effect on the backpressure, just the noise output. These mufflers work in the same manner as the silencers used on guns. If a silencer impeded bullet travel, you would definitely have problems!
Old 02-06-2008, 05:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 1995 M3

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='527802' date='Feb 6 2008, 12:30 AM
BP,

I haven't seen a cut out valve that allows you to connect a third tubing/pipe from the valve. It's usually the just the opening. Perhaps you cut off the secondary muffler (one with the butterfly valve on it), and re pipe the same butterfly valve to go to the other side (right). You'll have to run additional length of rubber tubing for the relocated valve. That could be an idea.
I think you are misunderstanding what I am saying.

I am saying keep the stock exhaust and Y-off the stock exhaust (similar to Remus quad for 530).

So when you have the electronic cut-off valve closed it will sound like stock.
When the out out valve is opened it will sound loud and mean. Also the cut-off valve can part fully opened or partially opened to tailor the sound that you want.

Here is a rough draft I came up with

Exhaust Video Clip Drone or No Drone-bmw_545_exhaust_proto2.jpg
Old 02-06-2008, 12:19 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by vegastrashed' post='527813' date='Feb 6 2008, 12:14 AM
Went back to the shop this morning to talk to the guy. Based on what I saw in and around the shop, Porsches, BMWs, MBs everywhere, I feel comfortable having him work on the E63. Also, he came highly recommended from a M5 owner that had bullet resonators installed to quiet down the M5 Eisenmann Race exhaust.

Right now, I'm certain that the 6.2L has over the rated 507 crank horsepower. Dyno numbers to come soon. I removed the restrictive charcoal filter, replaced the stock air filter with high flow AFE filters, remapped the ECU with Superchips software, gutted the stock exhaust from the primary cats back. By gutted, I deleted the secondary cats, resonators, and stock AMG mufflers. I replaced the secondary cats with a x-pipe that stretches all the way to the rear axle to the Renntech mufflers. Hopefully, I can take some pics this week of the undercarriage.

This Thursday, the E63 is getting dropped off and he's going to insert two bullet resonator right before the rear axle. Yes, the bullet resonators are straight through, but they're also perforated with stainless steel mesh wrapped around them.

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/991...tems/index.html
Cool. The example of the gun silencer is somewhat misleading. The bullet travels at a very high speed and the pressure accompanied are also high. Much the same way, a higher engine load produces higher speed and pressure of exhaust gas thereby improving the effective of glasspacks function. But, when you have low engine load like at 1500 rpm, the gas and pressure is lower causing the glasspack to be less effective in reducing the drone.

Think if a glass pack (bullet resonator) as larger pipe where sound waves will be forced through and silenced by the packing. If the flow is low, there will be some sound deadening, but not by much.

1. Do you know if your secondary cats are free flow type?
2. What type of muffler were the AMG?
3. The stock resonators provided "tuning" for the sound.
4. Are you going to have emission problem because of the removal of the secondary cats?
5. If you total output is more than 1113 ish cfm, you're exhaust is making excess noise. Renntech may have the data rating for their muffler.

I wonder what the stock system had on it that eliminated the droning at low rpm?
Old 02-06-2008, 12:21 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Bad Bimr' post='527876' date='Feb 6 2008, 08:02 AM
I think you are misunderstanding what I am saying.

I am saying keep the stock exhaust and Y-off the stock exhaust (similar to Remus quad for 530).

So when you have the electronic cut-off valve closed it will sound like stock.
When the out out valve is opened it will sound loud and mean. Also the cut-off valve can part fully opened or partially opened to tailor the sound that you want.

Here is a rough draft I came up with

Attachment 43945

That's pretty. I was thinking the same thing, but where you have the cut off valve, I would put in the stock bufferfly valve. The aftermarket cut off valves I've seen are "y" types.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='528084' date='Feb 6 2008, 01:19 PM
Think if a glass pack (bullet resonator) as larger pipe where sound waves will be forced through and silenced by the packing. If the flow is low, there will be some sound deadening, but not by much.

1. Do you know if your secondary cats are free flow type?
2. What type of muffler were the AMG?
3. The stock resonators provided "tuning" for the sound.
4. Are you going to have emission problem because of the removal of the secondary cats?
5. If you total output is more than 1113 ish cfm, you're exhaust is making excess noise. Renntech may have the data rating for their muffler.

I wonder what the stock system had on it that eliminated the droning at low rpm?
1. Not sure, but I can find out. The secondary cats are sitting in the garage. I'll take a look tonight.
2. I have heard that the stock AMG mufflers are free flow, with a bit of baffling.
3. The more I talk to you, the more it sounds like I should reinstall the stock resonator. It'll save me some money too, which isn't a bad thing.
4. I don't know. I doubt it, but I have two years before I have to cross that bridge.
5. Will find out what the Renntech muffler is rated.

I know already what eliminated the droning in the stock AMG exhaust setup. It's the stock resonator. Here's a timeline of what I did to my exhaust:
1. I removed my resonator. Afterwards, I noticed a slight drone but overlooked it b/c the stock exhaust sounded louder and meaner. Eventually, got tired soon of the muscle car sound.
2. Replaced the stock mufflers with Renntech. I drove from the Bay Area to Socal right after the work was completed and noticed that the droning increased dramatically.
3. Removed secondary cats and replaced with x-pipe. Music to my ears, the muscle car sound replaced with refined V8 note. The droning was less but still driving me crazy.
4. Planning to insert bullet resonator in the location of the stock resonator. Having second thoughts and might just re-install stock resonator again. This will probably solve all my droning problems at the expense of loudness.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:21 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by vegastrashed' post='528137' date='Feb 6 2008, 02:50 PM
1. Not sure, but I can find out. The secondary cats are sitting in the garage. I'll take a look tonight.
2. I have heard that the stock AMG mufflers are free flow, with a bit of baffling.
3. The more I talk to you, the more it sounds like I should reinstall the stock resonator. It'll save me some money too, which isn't a bad thing.
4. I don't know. I doubt it, but I have two years before I have to cross that bridge.
5. Will find out what the Renntech muffler is rated.

I know already what eliminated the droning in the stock AMG exhaust setup. It's the stock resonator. Here's a timeline of what I did to my exhaust:
1. I removed my resonator. Afterwards, I noticed a slight drone but overlooked it b/c the stock exhaust sounded louder and meaner. Eventually, got tired soon of the muscle car sound.
2. Replaced the stock mufflers with Renntech. I drove from the Bay Area to Socal right after the work was completed and noticed that the droning increased dramatically.
3. Removed secondary cats and replaced with x-pipe. Music to my ears, the muscle car sound replaced with refined V8 note. The droning was less but still driving me crazy.
4. Planning to insert bullet resonator in the location of the stock resonator. Having second thoughts and might just re-install stock resonator again. This will probably solve all my droning problems at the expense of loudness.

Joe, I hope re-installing the stock resonators will eliminate the droning on your car........but I think resonators (at least some resonators) are designed to work along with the specific muffler that they were installed with. As you will remember from my other posts and our conversations the B&B muffler that I installed on my 545 a couple of years ago had horrendous droning and resonance.....MUCH more than the droning that I heard in your E63, yet all the stock resonators were still on the car when I had the B&B on. With my current Remus quads there is some droning, but it's at a level that I can very easily live with........yet I still have all my resonators still on the car. So it may work out for you with the original resonators and the Renntech mufflers, but I don't think that it's a guarantee that the droning will be eliminated.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:53 PM
Contributors

Joe and Bimmer32........I would be curious to hear your opinions on my question in >>>>>THIS POST<<<<<

Quick Reply: Exhaust Video Clip Drone or No Drone