E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Exhaust options

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 08:05 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to see a ranking of the aftermarket exhaust options, as it relates to the increase in sound level. I'd like more sound than stock, but am not looking for too much sound. I'm sure I'm not alone, but this is a tough thing to evaluate from the comments posted here. I think that from what's been posted - this is the loudest to quietest order. Is is possible to get a consensus or expert opinion?

Loudest

B&B Triflow
Hamann
Supersprint
AC Schnitzer
Eisenmann
Stock with secondary valve pinned open
Stock

Quietest

Is this correct - if not, can we get the right order? I'm very interested in making a decision here, but the lack of an organized approach is making it difficult.

Also, is it possible to list the finish/tip configs - such as

B&B Triflow - stainless w/stainless tips
Hamann??
Supersprint - stainless w/stainless tips - one combo tip or 2 individual tips
AC Schnitzer - black w/chrome tips - one combo tip
Eisenmann - stainless w/stainless tips - 2 or 4 individual tips
Stock with secondary valve pinned open - black w/2 chrome individual tips
Stock - black w/2 chrome individual tips

Thanks very much.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Hey John W,

I have the B&B. Initially I thought it was loud, but to be honest, stock is very quiet. I have had a few people in my car (who didn't know about the exhaust). I asked if they thought the car was loud. All said no, they didn't notice.
My wife Still hasn't noticed and she's actually driven the car a few times.
(No JDN, I'm not still pushing it out of the garage anymore )

I do have the cats & resonators still in place. It is significantly louder than stock, however I'd have to say that it is not "too" loud. I have yet to have a client comment (i.e. complain) about it. Many like the rumble of the V8. It is noticeable at idle (especially outside of the car). Not much resonance inside the car (only a little at very low RPM under load). Overall I am very happy with it. Please note that the shop that did the install did have to fabricate a custom bracket as the welds from B&B were a little "off" (even thought it was made specifically for the E60).

I have not heard any of the others in person, however I have heard (pardon the pun) that the Eismann is supposed to be quite loud.

I was also looking for more sound, but also knew that I need to meet with and/or drive clients around. I like the tone of the B&B and it really isn't too loud, IMHO.

Also, you can custom order the tips with the B&B set up. I went with their recommended twin 3.5" double wall tips, however you can order it with twin 2.5" rolled which will look very similar to stock. Not sure if it would have any effect on sound but it would look more stealthy. As can be seen in my pics, the twin 3.5" fit nicely in the stock rear skirt cutout.

Sound/Vid & pics of the B&B are found in the link on my sig.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:01 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by thedogger from bimmerforums.com
In order of quietest to loudest:

Supersprint - Slightly louder than OEM. Nice Sound

Remus - Very distintive sound and somewhere between SS and Eisleman Race

Eisenmann Race - Sounds awesome probably the best. Great quality

B&B TriFlow true catback Loudest of the bunch a lot of people either love the sound or hate it because of the resonation.
[snapback]41675[/snapback]
Since the hamann is supersprint based, I'd rank it about equal to the supersprint. I'd also rank the ACS around same area as the remus.

If you want loud, you can get an exhaust and remove the resonator to get crazy loud. Another option that may be a bit louder, but probably give better performance gains, is to install high flow cats and either leave or remove the resonator.

But overall, I wouldn't expect to much of a performance gain from any exhaust....maybe other than weight savings. I'd base my purchase on price, sound and looks.

Video and sound clips can give you a good idea of the sound of an exhaust, but different recording methods will probably skew the results somewhat. Before you purchase, definately try to hear it in person.