E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

exhaust mod choice - second thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 10:03 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='231388
$10K for just an exhaust and a chip seems like a waste. Might as well get supercharged for the price.

Here's the breakdown of prices given to me by Carrozzeria Designs:

RDSport Competition Header set $3855

RDSport Metal Matrix Sport CATS $3550

RDSport X-Flow Downpipe $880

RDSport Rear Silencer (Quad Pipe Conversion) $2660

I think there was a mistake though because the X-flow downpipe should be included with the quad exhaust conversion for the $2660 price.

Yes very expensive. I think RDS claims a 25hp gain just for the Headers. (I wonder how much total hp for the complete system). Considering that you can spend close to that to get the Dinan CAI, throttle body and exhaust to get about the same total increase in hp (25)....then you're looking at closely related $/hp numbers though.

Hmm....if the Headers were a little south of the $3K mark, I might consider getting it.

But you're right. I think for about $10K, you can get a VF-Engineering supercharger.
[/quote]

The RDS silencers with the X-pipe where about $2600. The dealer said that the system was quieter than a B&B. It was not bad, but I assumed by leaving the second resonator it would be fine.

I also assumed that the silencers had some type of baffling. Once I saw that they where straight through, I started thinking about the sound.

They probably are not bad, I just don't want to give up my smooth freeway ride.

[QUOTE=jet190rs;231056]I've read on this forum that removing only the 2nd (rear) resonator doesn't make it that much louder. IIRC, member JDN removed his and said he couldn't tell the difference.

Originally Posted by jsal' post='230983' date='Jan 28 2006, 11:57 AM
The exhaust system is two mufflers and uses an x-pipe to remove the second resonator. I have heard the system on a 645 in this configuration. It was not bad, although you could definately hear it and feel it a little. It was louder than I wanted.
If you had heard it and thought it was too loud, why did you buy it?

It was not too bad and I assumed by leaving the second resonator on - it would be ok. That was until I actually saw the muffler/silencer and realized it was a straight through pipe.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:39 AM
Contributors

For the whole system, headers back and tuning, the price doesn't seem that bad. I know you posted a pic, but I was just thinking about an exhaust and a chip by itself. After you list the prices for everything, it might even be reasonable if you get discounted through another vendor.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

I am sending back the RDS system for the Hamann quad. The RDS with the X-flow pipe is still almost $1k cheaper than the Hamann. I am doing it just because I want minimal interior sound.

I believe the RDS system is one of the best setups for flow and will be less noisy than a B&B. So, if you want performance, it is the one to go with. It tucks neatly in the little slot on the right side and the exhaust tips would be symetrical with the drivers side.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:01 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

What about the Eisenmann quad? It retails for a little over $1400. I just don't know the differences in sound and resonance between the Eisenmann and the Hamann though.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:35 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='233313' date='Feb 1 2006, 06:01 PM
What about the Eisenmann quad? It retails for a little over $1400. I just don't know the differences in sound and resonance between the Eisenmann and the Hamann though.
Good question - I have not been able to find out the sound differences. Some have said that the eisenmann was louder, but I am really not sure. I did post to the forum about anyone that had a Hamann system, but did not get a response.

The dealer I got the RDS from (Carrazaeria??? design) is also a Hamann dealer and I can just use the money as a credit - so I am sorta stuck.

When I saw the Hamann at the Bimmerfest last year, I really liked the sound (only from outside the car). According to the Hamann distributor, it is supposed to be a pretty quiet system. You will still hear it, but nothing like some of the others.

I will enjoy the noise when I get on it, but I just don't want a constant drone while crusing on the freeway.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:09 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Carrozzeria Designs. That's the place I got the RDS prices from also.

Forum member soc_fans has the quad Eisenmann and I don't remember it being that loud. But he has a 530 so I think a 545 would be a bit louder...not sure.

On a side note, got my Dinan exhaust installed today. Nice rumbling at idle speed and the sound slowly dissipates at highway crusing so I like it. My wife will still probably complain about the idle rumbling though. We'll see....
Old 02-02-2006, 08:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='233857
On a side note, got my Dinan exhaust installed today. Nice rumbling at idle speed and the sound slowly dissipates at highway crusing so I like it. My wife will still probably complain about the idle rumbling though. We'll see....
Nice, got a vid of your Dinan?
Old 02-10-2006, 04:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW ///M 525xi Carbon Black - Dakota Black Leather - Riegel Ahorn Anthrazit trim - Alloy wheels 135 8Jx18" - Sport Seats - Bi-Xenon Headlights - Nav. System Professional - Bluetooth phone prep. - Auto-Dim. Int + Folding exterior mirrors - Rear Blind (electric) and side blinds - PDC - Foldable rear seats - Trailer Clutch -- 1980 - E21 320 1984 - E21 323i - White 1988 - E34 520i - Light Blue 1995 - E39 528i - Dark Blue -- Momo 17" wheels 2001 - E39 530d - Stahblau -- ///M-kit 2002 - Mini Cooper S - Dark Silver -- wifes car 2006 - E60 525xi - Carbon black -- ///M-kit Mods: Anti carjacking system CJ-1

Originally Posted by jsal' post='233844
Good question - I have not been able to find out the sound differences. Some have said that the eisenmann was louder, but I am really not sure. I did post to the forum about anyone that had a Hamann system, but did not get a response.

The dealer I got the RDS from (Carrazaeria??? design) is also a Hamann dealer and I can just use the money as a credit - so I am sorta stuck.

When I saw the Hamann at the Bimmerfest last year, I really liked the sound (only from outside the car). According to the Hamann distributor, it is supposed to be a pretty quiet system. You will still hear it, but nothing like some of the others.

I will enjoy the noise when I get on it, but I just don't want a constant drone while crusing on the freeway.
[/quote]

I have the same question about the Eisenmann and Hamann exhaust.
Anyone has a soundfile for a Eisenmann or Hamann quad exhaust on a 525i?
And does anybody knows how much the Hamann quad exhaust costs?

Thanks