E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Exhaust Hangers for RPI Systems

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 02:19 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alright, well most of you know from the RPI instructions that in some case the factory BMW rubber hangers are too long and they said to use the shorter version from Pepboys (part #511187). i installed these shorter hangers when i bought my RPI last month for my 525xi. but i noticed that they were already starting to crack from the stress which was on them to make my exhaust sit centered between the bumper cut-out. so i took a chance and went my own route.

i found a company called Kartboy which deals mostly with the Subaru guys and a few of my friends confirmed that their urethane exhaust hangers were far superior than any other brand (i.e. Cobb Tuning). so i contacted Kartboy's tech support and got the center-to-center measurements of there standard 12mm hangers (make sure you don't buy the long version or the 15mm versions - these won't work). well it turned out they were the exact length as then Pepboys version but obviously made of urethane.

i bought them from Oakos Automotive (part #KB-011-12mm) for $30 and free shipping. you only need 2 but they sell them as a pack of 4.
http://www.oakos.com/Merchant2/merch...de=KB-011-12mm

for the front hanger (first picture) you need to trim the urethane very slightly so it fits on the bracket (very easily done with a exacto knife or a air saw). the rear just slides right on. i was very pleased with the outcome and there is no play at all with my exhaust system now.

you can see the difference between the factory, the Pepboys version, & finally the Kartboy Urethane version at the bottom. the overall length of the Kartboy is slightly longer but that doesn't matter. the measurement that is important is the center-to-center of the holes because that determines your exhaust placement. i know they look longer in the picture but they are not because urethane does not stretch like the BMW and Pepboys rubber versions which stretch alot when the exhaust is installed.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:26 PM
Contributors

looks good

i just used the bmw ones and ive never had any issues
Old 01-28-2010, 07:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '07 530iSport PackageLuxury Packagemore to come

When we installed my exhaust I found the same thing, the old hangers let the exhaust hang too low. The shop that installed mine also works on Mercedes and the guy happened to have some AMG hangers on hand. He put those in and the exhaust was perfectly placed. And by using AMG red hangers I gained 8 extra HP!!!!
Old 01-30-2010, 07:14 PM
Members

My Remus exhaust hangs too low IMO and I've been looking for a solution. This could be it.

Thanks for posting!

V
Old 01-31-2010, 10:01 AM
Senior Members

hope it fixes your problem. it def solved mine which was hanging too low before as well. also it dramatically reduced the side-to-side play which almost doesn't exist now!