E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Eibach Springs - Tips & Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 03:57 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i

Hey fellaz............ I have an 04' 545 and will be installing Eibach's on them tomorrow, friend of mine will be helping me. I was wondering if any of you guys have any last minute tips and/or advice. Thanks, will take pics of before and after, wish me luck!!
Old 03-10-2010, 04:02 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

If the direction ask to cut your bump stops, make sure you do.
Sometimes you need a spring compressor.
Be careful when you remove your stock springs, I've had the tophat shoot across my driveway.
Get some PB Blaster. Those bolts can be awfully hard to remove sometimes.
Make sure you install the springs the right way and not upside down.
Springs will settle over time, so your car will drop more.
GET AN ALIGNMENT AFTER YOUR CAR HAS SETTLED.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:14 PM
Senior Members

thanks, I am always wondering about those bumpstops?!??! I hear you didnt have to shave them down. Guess I should open the box and look at the directions, lol. Whats the PB Blaster? is that like WD40 to loosen up the bolts? thanks.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:36 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: 14 550i

If the directions tell you to shave, shave those suckers or your ride will suffer. Only downside is if you decide to put your OE springs back on...

Yes PB Blaster is like WD40.

Michael
Acute Performance

Originally Posted by suthurnbimmur
thanks, I am always wondering about those bumpstops?!??! I hear you didnt have to shave them down. Guess I should open the box and look at the directions, lol. Whats the PB Blaster? is that like WD40 to loosen up the bolts? thanks.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Originally Posted by suthurnbimmur
Hey fellaz............ I have an 04' 545 and will be installing Eibach's on them tomorrow, friend of mine will be helping me. I was wondering if any of you guys have any last minute tips and/or advice. Thanks, will take pics of before and after, wish me luck!!
Are you installing just the springs with the same oem shocks? How many miles on your 5er? I'd prolly change out the shocks also.

I replaced my OEM sport springs with the Eibach ProKit (all by myself ) along with Bilstein Sports. You're going to love these springs.
First you'll have to place the car on jackstands. Remove the wheel. Support lower control arm with a hydraulic jack or any jack for that matter. Remove shock bottom mounting bolt. Next, remove top 3 nuts from support - DO NOT REMOVE CENTER NUT AT THIS TIME, OR ELSE!!! Now remove spring/shock assy.

Recommended specialty tools:

-Spring compressor (use only when your strut is completely out)
-Ratchet Tie-Down w/ straps. Reason being is once you have your shock/spring disconnected from the upper shock mount, you'll have a very difficult time pushing down on the tensioned lower control arm to have your spring and shock clear the fender coming out. This is key - keep a towel on the top of the shock so you don't damage your fender. With the help of your jackstand under your car, connect the ratchet tie-down and slowly pull the lower control arm down so you can remove the spring/shock. This applies to all four wheels. The rears are much easier than the fronts however, the gas filler tank will surely add some challenge to that sides removal.

Torque specs: Lower mounting shock bolt 75 ft lbs., upper shock nut (new self locking) 16 ft lbs. Make sure the stamped "Eibach" on spring is facing out towards the fender and not up-side-down Good luck
Old 03-11-2010, 04:48 PM
Senior Members

thanks Bro for the advice!!! Got only the fronts done due to time restraints but I love the ride, really, really close to stock. Wish I could've afford to replace the struts too but dont have the $$ right now. Got that saved for a kit or front bumper, it will be the next mod! Will tackle the rears on Wednesday and put my 20's on that time. Im stoked, its almost summer!!
Old 03-11-2010, 04:51 PM
Senior Members

Ohh, just want to say a shout out to Rizbel for his excellent DIY. I refered back to it several times!! thanks again Rizbel!!
Old 03-17-2010, 04:34 PM
Senior Members

Update:

Got it all done, finally........ Looks DOPE!! one I just notice tonight when I was shinning up my wheels, the driver side rear is about a half an inch or so higher that the passenger side, any idea what I should be looking at to correst this issue.

I made sure everything was back properly, springs are not upside down or could that be it? ugh......pls help!