E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Eibach pro-kits in the front and OEM sports in the rear

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 07:34 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all...tried searching and didn't come up with any help so here goes...I want to lower my car(just got it couple weeks ago) 2007 530i non sport. Couple of things: I dont want to lower it too much, i dont' want to roll the fenders so i was thinking of Eibach pro-kits in the front and buying OE 2004 sports for the rear. Reason for being is that I usually carry passengers and luggage and will have a sub-box(weighs ~50lbs) in the back(that is why i do not want to use the Eibach's in the rear).

1. Is the OE sport springs really lower the car or is it just a different rate?
2. Has anyone done this before and have any pics?

Also I plan on purchasing Beyern 18 x 8.5 in front and 18 x 9.5 Multi in rear with the appropriate tire size.

Thanks in advance

I know nerweezy said that sports lower .7" drop and wanted a confirmation.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: No mods

Originally Posted by nice_camel_toe' post='412613' date='Apr 11 2007, 08:34 PM
Hello all...tried searching and didn't come up with any help so here goes...I want to lower my car(just got it couple weeks ago) 2007 530i non sport. Couple of things: I dont want to lower it too much, i dont' want to roll the fenders so i was thinking of Eibach pro-kits in the front and buying OE 2004 sports for the rear. Reason for being is that I usually carry passengers and luggage and will have a sub-box(weighs ~50lbs) in the back(that is why i do not want to use the Eibach's in the rear).

Also I plan on purchasing Beyern 18 x 8.5 in front and 18 x 9.5 Multi in rear with the appropriate tire size.

Thanks in advance

you wont rub with non-sport spring and H&R sports spring, 1.4f&1.3r

its a better drop than eibach and feels like stock too. i have a 12"sub with H&R sport springs and carried 2 passengers in the back without rubbing.

anyways, good luck in your decision. if anything, get coilovers (height adjustable)
Old 04-12-2007, 12:34 AM
Senior Members

if you want a combo of looks and comfort i recommend the H&R sports. The ride is like stock sport w/ more stiffness on cornering and doesnt bottom out.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:33 AM
JPJ
Contributors

Originally Posted by nice_camel_toe' post='412613' date='Apr 11 2007, 11:34 PM

Thanks in advance

It would work fine to do what you are suggesting. I almost did the very same thing on my E46 with Eibach's -- ended up rolling the fenders and eventually going one width less on the rear tire, but going to a OE sport spring in the rear would have been an easier method. My problem was too agressive an offset on the wheels not how low the car was.

The OE sport rear would lower your car about 0.7". The Eibach front is a claimed 1.2" from non-sport height. So in theory you would be a 1/2" higher in the rear which would lbe OK for a raked look. However, some people with 6 cyl cars have said they actually get more than the 1.2" drop on the front, so might be a little more difference than you would plan on. I don't think there would be any problem at all with the handling balance between the two -- spring rates aren't that different.

I got the H&R sports installed just the day before yesterday. Love the ride / handling, but right now the rear is sitting 3/8" lower than the front -- enough for me to see that the rear is lower (the rear looks good to me, it is the front that looks a little high). Hope the front drops a little as it settles. Overall though it is really not that low, so I think you would have no problem with either the Eibachs or H&R's all aroung as long as you are not too agressive with tires and wheels.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:28 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JPJ' post='412690' date='Apr 12 2007, 05:33 AM
I got the H&R sports installed just the day before yesterday. Love the ride / handling, but right now the rear is sitting 3/8" lower than the front -- enough for me to see that the rear is lower (the rear looks good to me, it is the front that looks a little high). Hope the front drops a little as it settles. Overall though it is really not that low, so I think you would have no problem with either the Eibachs or H&R's all aroung as long as you are not too agressive with tires and wheels.
Same here, to carry passangers and luggage keep the tires inflated to 43psi in the rear. And make sure no one eats before they get in your car!
Old 04-12-2007, 09:06 AM
Senior Members

Or make sure everyone takes a poop before getting in! My sports are fine . I wouldnt mind a little lowere in the front and back. Wish they had a spring set 1.6 front and 1.7 rear .
Old 04-12-2007, 02:18 PM
Members

Thanks all for the replies...

Ive notice with BMW's that when lowered they have a bias sometimes to be lower in the rear relative to the front. It may be also the illusion of it lower because of the fenders openings.

JPJ...I would rather have a bias of the rear being higher than the front because it would look just right(or level) when I have passengers in the car.

If the OE sports do actually lower the car 0.7" than non sports then I guess I will pick up "AXIS530" sport springs from his 2004 e60(will his year fit my 2007?) and pick up the Eibach's Pro-kits or H&R sports for the front(will go with either which ever I get a better deal with).

As far as the wheels offset and size go I want them relatively flush without rolling fenders. I am new to the 5 series bmw world so was wondering what would be ideal with my criteria. Here are the sizes from the site Beyern multi type

Front are 18" x 8.5" with either a 15, 30, 40 offset
Rears are 18" x 9.5" with either a 15, 25, 30 offset

Also what is my hub size...if it is 74 then I guess I am limited to 15 et in the front and 25 et in the rear

Thanks again
Old 04-12-2007, 02:51 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nice_camel_toe' post='412920' date='Apr 12 2007, 03:18 PM
Thanks all for the replies...

Ive notice with BMW's that when lowered they have a bias sometimes to be lower in the rear relative to the front. It may be also the illusion of it lower because of the fenders openings.

JPJ...I would rather have a bias of the rear being higher than the front because it would look just right(or level) when I have passengers in the car.

If the OE sports do actually lower the car 0.7" than non sports then I guess I will pick up "AXIS530" sport springs from his 2004 e60(will his year fit my 2007?) and pick up the Eibach's Pro-kits or H&R sports for the front(will go with either which ever I get a better deal with).

As far as the wheels offset and size go I want them relatively flush without rolling fenders. I am new to the 5 series bmw world so was wondering what would be ideal with my criteria. Here are the sizes from the site Beyern multi type

Front are 18" x 8.5" with either a 15, 30, 40 offset
Rears are 18" x 9.5" with either a 15, 25, 30 offset

Also what is my hub size...if it is 74 then I guess I am limited to 15 et in the front and 25 et in the rear

Thanks again
E60 hub is 72.5, as far as wheels offsets it should say on back of rims typically the 17's and 18's are around 20mm. So say you get a rim that has a 35mm offset in the front you'll need a hubcentric wheel spacer that measures 12-15mm that will push them out towards the fender. So from those choices you have I would go 30mm in the front and in the rear with 10mm spacers at all 4 corners. Make sure wheels studs are longer too.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:08 PM
JPJ
Contributors

Originally Posted by nice_camel_toe' post='412920' date='Apr 12 2007, 06:18 PM

I agree with you -- I'm complaining a little about mine, wish the back was slightly higher or at least even with the front -- would just like to get there by having the front go down, not the back going up

H&R sells a package with front springs only for the touring models since the rears have an air ride type suspension -- this might be a way to save a few bucks. Also, the springs from a 2004 sport package would be fine for your '07.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:51 PM
Members

Originally Posted by JPJ' post='413015' date='Apr 12 2007, 07:08 PM
I agree with you -- I'm complaining a little about mine, wish the back was slightly higher or at least even with the front -- would just like to get there by having the front go down, not the back going up

H&R sells a package with front springs only for the touring models since the rears have an air ride type suspension -- this might be a way to save a few bucks. Also, the springs from a 2004 sport package would be fine for your '07.

OOoohhhh!!! Thank you Thank you for this info
If that is the case H&R for the front and OE sports in the rears for me

Any one in the Bay area that I can buy from and install? Cheapest one I found was at Car Domain free shipping and i think no tax since not in CA for $205.95.

Thanks again JPJ

Quick Reply: Eibach pro-kits in the front and OEM sports in the rear