E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

ECU Tuning vs JB4

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 07:40 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 jetblack 535i w/ Sports Package

Which path should i take? Pros and cons for both please. Is it possible to have ECU tuning done and still apply JB4? Just crossed my mind if that is possible?
Old 05-29-2012, 07:54 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I have the JB4 and really like it a lot so not familiar with any other ECU tuning. With the JB4, you can change to different MAPPs and turn if off if you need to have the car serviced since the OBD cannot be read outside of MAPP 1. Supposedly non-detectable in MAPP 1 in case you are still in warranty. If you search this site you will find another thread with a lot of this same discussion that may help you.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:09 PM
Members

Originally Posted by tonyb635
I have the JB4 and really like it a lot so not familiar with any other ECU tuning. With the JB4, you can change to different MAPPs and turn if off if you need to have the car serviced since the OBD cannot be read outside of MAPP 1. Supposedly non-detectable in MAPP 1 in case you are still in warranty. If you search this site you will find another thread with a lot of this same discussion that may help you.
Thanks for the reply. I have been reading some threads about JB4. So far, i'm leaning towards getting it other than ecu tuning. At least if i have JB4, any software update from my dealership won't remove any programming that was done.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:21 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

With the JB4, it is a piggy-back. It interrupts the signal and gives it a false signal.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 speed, Silver Gray A08, Gray leather Mods: Hard-Wired Passport 9500ix LIVE , K&N Air + RPi Scoop, Mtech V2.1 AE, ACS pedals+Ebrake, flip up front plate, OEM 172's, Custom M Kit, M3 shift knob, Eisemann Race Exhaust 2005 X5 3.0 (the nightmare) 1998 528i SOLD @ 173K

Map 0 is non-detectable. Check out N54tech.com
Old 05-30-2012, 10:19 PM
Members

What about cobb? I'm reading mostly good things about it.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:30 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by e60oholic
Map 0 is non-detectable. Check out N54tech.com
Well let me say this is what I was told by Terry from JB4. This dumb ass (ME) took the car in for a problem that was just out of warranty and then dealer called four hours later saying they couldn't read the from the OBD and there is some kind of aftermarket software installed... So I go down and turn it off and pissed at my stupid self and forget to save after I make the changes. I guess I was too nervous to even logically think. So without saving, an hour later they still could not read the OBD so I took my car and left with my tail between my legs only to realize I had not saved the setting and it was still in MAPP 1. I took the car to another dealer after saving to MAPP 0 and there was not issues. According to JB4 MAPP 0 is not detectable but maybe it is if they dig a little... My only concern was that the dealer would try some bull shit saying my HPFP is not covered any longer because of this. So I still need to look in the system to see what comments they made when I brought it in. I know they took pics and put them in the paper file, just don't know where it went after that... Also, was told that the dealers will tell you that it will void the warranty, but I've heard form several people that they will try this but they have to prove that the actual mod caused the issue. Not sure about all of that though.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 AW N52 with sports package & premium package; natural brown interior MODs: Orion V2s 3000K H8 Yellow Fogs Matte Black Kidney Grills 20" Miro 111 Hankook V12 Tires H&R Sport Springs Special coding via Simon (dbl flash hazards, digital velocity, etc.) LED Side Markers from Trinity Autosports LED License Plate Lights from Trinity Autosports Carbon Delete BMC Air Filter RPI Scoop RPI GT Exhaust Future MODs: Mtech Kit KW Variant 2 Coilovers CIC Retrofit Upgrade Audio System

Originally Posted by James24
What about cobb? I'm reading mostly good things about it.
+1
Old 05-31-2012, 05:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Well let me say this is what I was told by Terry from JB4. This dumb ass (ME) took the car in for a problem that was just out of warranty and then dealer called four hours later saying they couldn't read the from the OBD and there is some kind of aftermarket software installed... So I go down and turn it off and pissed at my stupid self and forget to save after I make the changes. I guess I was too nervous to even logically think. So without saving, an hour later they still could not read the OBD so I took my car and left with my tail between my legs only to realize I had not saved the setting and it was still in MAPP 1. I took the car to another dealer after saving to MAPP 0 and there was not issues. According to JB4 MAPP 0 is not detectable but maybe it is if they dig a little... My only concern was that the dealer would try some bull shit saying my HPFP is not covered any longer because of this. So I still need to look in the system to see what comments they made when I brought it in. I know they took pics and put them in the paper file, just don't know where it went after that... Also, was told that the dealers will tell you that it will void the warranty, but I've heard form several people that they will try this but they have to prove that the actual mod caused the issue. Not sure about all of that though.
Any service tech who is in the know can detect a JB4 by simply pressing the steering wheel buttons in the right sequence.

I'd love for BMS to develop some sort of hardware bypass that will allow you to just uplug the JB4 while leaving the wire packs connected (the car won't start if the JB4 isn't plugged in). Removing the JB4 is easy - removing the wire packs is a PITA.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 speed, Silver Gray A08, Gray leather Mods: Hard-Wired Passport 9500ix LIVE , K&N Air + RPi Scoop, Mtech V2.1 AE, ACS pedals+Ebrake, flip up front plate, OEM 172's, Custom M Kit, M3 shift knob, Eisemann Race Exhaust 2005 X5 3.0 (the nightmare) 1998 528i SOLD @ 173K

Originally Posted by pukka
Any service tech who is in the know can detect a JB4 by simply pressing the steering wheel buttons in the right sequence.

I'd love for BMS to develop some sort of hardware bypass that will allow you to just uplug the JB4 while leaving the wire packs connected (the car won't start if the JB4 isn't plugged in). Removing the JB4 is easy - removing the wire packs is a PITA.
You can turn off the steering wheel controls with your laptop. Terry has mentioned it a few times

Quick Reply: ECU Tuning vs JB4