E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

ECU REMAP ON 520d M SPORT

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 12:19 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 525D SE. Standard at the moment... 1997 Suzuki TL1000s V-Twin: K&N, Scorpion Race Cans, Earls Carbon Hoses, Renthal Sprokets..the list goes on...

Originally Posted by jas_r_1' post='857648' date='Apr 24 2009, 01:18 PM
Hi. Thought I'd share my experience on my soon to be remapped 2006 520d! A mate recomended it after having his 330d done a few years back. Although i didn't see much point when i first got the car six months ago i now feel I needs more power. I am not normally the type to take a risk like this- handing my pride and joy over to someone thinking of all the things that could go wrong with it. But i decided to look into it anyway and after having done several weeks of research I went and saw Jason at B&W Chiptune, in Hounslow today. It was easy to tell that Jason, the owner, knew his stuff and after reading other posts about Jason I felt reassured enough to book the car in tomorrow.

He advised me of the best remap pushing the BHP from 163 to 210 and better mpg. It will be done tomorrow so I will post the results this weekend!
I spoke to Jason this afternoon for figures on my 2005 525D SE...177bhp ... 47bhp increase... Torque up from 400lbs to 480lbs...roll on end of may pay day....
Old 04-27-2009, 01:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

Make sure you calculate your MPG via the tank to tank method, your OBC MPG may well read incorrectly now the car has been remapped, you can search on these forums to find out how to re-caliberate it back into the correct zone, but you will need to work out your tank to tank MPG to know for sure.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 55 525D Sport Full Black Leather Visibility Pack Media Pack

got mine booked in for 9th of may YAY

cant wait
Old 04-29-2009, 04:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 523i M-Sport

Originally Posted by russdx' post='862674' date='Apr 29 2009, 01:09 PM
got mine booked in for 9th of may YAY

cant wait
Good man! Keep us updated with how you get on
Old 05-01-2009, 12:34 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 520d - 19" 172s- Remapped - LCI taillights V6 cables - LCI xenon headlights - Denison 500 with BTA1500 - led interior lights - OEM led number plate lights Planned mods: Folding mirrors - Modmynav kit - High gloss shadowline trim -

Rolling road booked for 9th May!
Old 05-01-2009, 02:13 PM
Members

Not meaning any disrespect, but can someone explain somthing to me please.

How can remapping the ECU improve both power AND fuel economy? The engine can only convert the available energy within the fuel (Diesel is 38.6 MJ/l) into heat and motion. The difference between how much heat it produces vs how much motion it produces is the efficiency of the engine. In order to improve the efficiency of the engine you need to reduce friction (bearings, rings, better oil, reduced valve spring pressure etc) or improve things like combustion cylinder shape, sealing etc.

The only way to improve power without changing things like this is to simply put more fuel (and air) into the combustion chamber with each cycle.
Ie.
More power = more fuel = worse consumption
Better econonomy = less fuel = less power

There is just no way in my mind that remapping the ECU can help both power AND economy.

Also consider the fact that BMW spend millions and millions on each engine model they produce, they employ some of the best minds in the field, in order to achieve the best and most efficient ECU mapping they can. If they could improve both power and economy at the same time wouldn't they do it?

Flame away.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:58 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Furious_g' post='865594' date='May 1 2009, 11:13 PM
Not meaning any disrespect, but can someone explain somthing to me please.

How can remapping the ECU improve both power AND fuel economy? The engine can only convert the available energy within the fuel (Diesel is 38.6 MJ/l) into heat and motion. The difference between how much heat it produces vs how much motion it produces is the efficiency of the engine. In order to improve the efficiency of the engine you need to reduce friction (bearings, rings, better oil, reduced valve spring pressure etc) or improve things like combustion cylinder shape, sealing etc.

The only way to improve power without changing things like this is to simply put more fuel (and air) into the combustion chamber with each cycle.
Ie.
More power = more fuel = worse consumption
Better econonomy = less fuel = less power

There is just no way in my mind that remapping the ECU can help both power AND economy.

Also consider the fact that BMW spend millions and millions on each engine model they produce, they employ some of the best minds in the field, in order to achieve the best and most efficient ECU mapping they can. If they could improve both power and economy at the same time wouldn't they do it?

Flame away.
I'm no expert in this but from what I understand the ecu controls things like the max boost on turbos. This enables more power (not sure what happens on non turbo cars). The fuel economy is only achieved when you are not tapping into the extra power eg just cruising on the motorway. I don't know what it does extactly but if you push it hard then you won't see fuel economy there.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:58 AM
Senior Members

i think it gets better mpg if u drive nicely it takes away some of the power when just driving normally = bit more mpg, but when u floor it, it really pumps the engine full of fuel giving more power but waaaay less mpg

so i think the better mpg + bhp is dependent on how the engine is been used

i think lol ??
Old 05-09-2009, 07:26 AM
Senior Members

just got back from having my remap done

fucking love it !!!! well worth the ?300 u can really feel the improvement, think jason said he got another 40bhp out of it and alot more torque cant remember that figure though

defiantly recommend jason to any other ppl wanting remap
Old 05-09-2009, 07:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 520d - 19" 172s- Remapped - LCI taillights V6 cables - LCI xenon headlights - Denison 500 with BTA1500 - led interior lights - OEM led number plate lights Planned mods: Folding mirrors - Modmynav kit - High gloss shadowline trim -

ECU REMAP ON 520d M SPORT-surrey_rolling_road2.jpg

Well this is the rolling road dyno run results - the guy at the rolling road said the flywheel HP would be about 190 but I forgot to ask about the torque (NM). Anyone know what this could be and confirm the BHP?

Quick Reply: ECU REMAP ON 520d M SPORT