E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Ebay replica wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 02:55 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are any of these any good? Im looking for some upgraded wheels for my 525i and I dont want to spend a lot of money. Let me know if you know any of the good ones..thanks
Old 11-09-2007, 03:39 PM
Contributors

Some may be good, but some of us have had nightmare experiences. If they are made in China, they tend to cause vibration in the cabin.

Recommendation: Go with OEM wheels. You can make up the extra cost by buying General Exclaim Tires rather than PS2s.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:32 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E90 330i + E60 550i

search through here, and also http://www.e90post.com/forums/index.php?

there are thousands who have used replicas on audis, mb's, bmws, porsches, etc....many have great experiences, but then there are a few whodo have problems, and some more serious than others.

I currently use a set for my winter wheels, and there is zero wrong with them. THey are made in china too. The finish has a couple flaws, but you would only notice them if I pointed it out.

in short, some love them, some hate them. Find a seller that has a good reputation over many years. dont ever get a set that requires adapters or hubcentric rings, they are bound to have more fitment and vibraion issues. also, check out the OEM prices, you would be surprised how affordable they can be if you get them from bmw dealers that iscount (Garry from BMW of Newport)
Old 11-09-2007, 04:42 PM
Senior Members

I have Hartge replicas (20's) and been happy with mine. If you want to save even more than my are for sale (lease is coming up so may no longer need them). PM if interested.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:44 PM
Contributors

The question was about most of the wheels on e-bay (presumably replica BMWs).
We have asked many who claim to have good replica BMW wheels (purchased in the US) to tell us where they got them from. We have not had many responses.

I totally agree that some replicas work, but it is difficult to risk a lot of money not knowing whether they will cause massive vibration. If anyone knows of a good place, please speak up.
I spent $700 for my replicas, and they I had to pay an extra $300 to the wheel shop for all of the wasted efforts to eliminate the vibration. Finally, after getting fed up, I switched to OEMs. No more problem.

The price break down is not that much different either. OEMs cost $1500-$1700 for the set on the discount BMW wheel web sites. Replicas cost around $700-900 for the identical sizes.
General Exclaim tires cost $550 for 4 from tirerack. PS2 tires cost $1200 (or more) for 4 from tirerack. The GE tires are highly rated, and a lot of people love them.
When you account for the fact that OEM wheels have resale value when you are done with the wheels (e.g., lease end), it makes more sense to go with OEM wheels and less expensive tires.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:18 AM
Members

Originally Posted by monacobmw' post='492442' date='Nov 9 2007, 09:44 PM
The question was about most of the wheels on e-bay (presumably replica BMWs).
We have asked many who claim to have good replica BMW wheels (purchased in the US) to tell us where they got them from. We have not had many responses.

I totally agree that some replicas work, but it is difficult to risk a lot of money not knowing whether they will cause massive vibration. If anyone knows of a good place, please speak up.
I spent $700 for my replicas, and they I had to pay an extra $300 to the wheel shop for all of the wasted efforts to eliminate the vibration. Finally, after getting fed up, I switched to OEMs. No more problem.

The price break down is not that much different either. OEMs cost $1500-$1700 for the set on the discount BMW wheel web sites. Replicas cost around $700-900 for the identical sizes.
General Exclaim tires cost $550 for 4 from tirerack. PS2 tires cost $1200 (or more) for 4 from tirerack. The GE tires are highly rated, and a lot of people love them.
When you account for the fact that OEM wheels have resale value when you are done with the wheels (e.g., lease end), it makes more sense to go with OEM wheels and less expensive tires.
I bought couple of sets from ebay and was very happy with the results, money saved, no vibration, great handling, and really held up very well.

http://stores.ebay.com/Get-Your-Wheels
Old 11-10-2007, 04:46 AM
Members

My Ride: Black/Black 2004 530i w/ Premium & Sport Pkgs.

I bought mine from this eBay seller & haven't had any problems.
http://stores.ebay.com/O-E-Wheels
Old 11-10-2007, 07:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

I'd be careful with OEM replica's. Since I too, have replica M3 CSL's and haven't had any problems, I can't say don't get them. However, based on your other thread, I believe you said you wanted the 166 wheels. If that's the case, I would go OEM like monacobmw said above. You can get a set of 4 new, staggered General Exclaim tires for $550 from the TireRack. Spend a little more on the wheels for peace of mind and less on the tires. And the GE tires are no slouch. They're great. Good luck!
Old 11-10-2007, 07:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E90 330i + E60 550i

wheelsandcaps good seller with good quality on ebay
Old 11-10-2007, 07:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 M6: Silverstone Metallic... Fully loaded2005 DINAN5 (545i): Jet Black... Fully loaded1955 Chevy: Custom

Your best bet is your local tunning shop, they usually carry "tuner inspired style" wheels... Buy locally and deal with the shop locally.

Originally Posted by s4iscool' post='492630' date='Nov 10 2007, 08:42 AM
wheelsandcaps good seller with good quality on ebay

Quick Reply: Ebay replica wheels