E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Are e60 wheels harder to balance?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 04:59 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525
Model Year: 2004

Some tires come from the mfg inherently more 'out of balance' to the point that the techs never get it quite right. If it is a consistent problem on a newer set, have the tire replaced under warranty.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

you need to road force balance the wheel, which will tell you if the rim is bent. a wheel can still be balanced, but can be out of round at the same time.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:00 PM
Members

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='1040283' date='Oct 25 2009, 08:14 PM
Are you sure you don't have a bent rim?
If the rim is indeed bent, is that fixable? Or have to be replaced?

Jarek
Old 10-25-2009, 05:01 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Well if it has been fine in the past prior to tire replacement, then I don't know. It seems that a lot of wheels need hubcentric rings on E60s to be problem-free, but it doesn't sound like this is the case.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by jarekkaraban' post='1040321' date='Oct 25 2009, 08:00 PM
If the rim is indeed bent, is that fixable? Or have to be replaced?

Jarek
they can be bent back straight. just find a mobile wheel repair guy.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:57 PM
Members

My Ride: Stock for now

The last time I had my wheels balance the shop too off the hub rings. Make sure you have them on all 4 wheels. I had the same issue around 70 mph and once I installed them the ride was smooth again.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:07 PM
Contributors

hub rings are not even in the question. he has oem wheels which dont require hub rings. i think he said he had 17in 138's.

To the op: google hunter road force balance. there is a machine locator on there site. it will tell you where the nearest certified shop is that has the hunter machine. this machine is the best machine when balancing wheels. it applies pressure to the wheel during balancing to simulate driving on a real road. this machine will also tell them if a rim is bent. hope you get the problem solved!
Old 10-26-2009, 04:53 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Alpine White Girl' post='1040435' date='Oct 26 2009, 12:07 AM
hub rings are not even in the question. he has oem wheels which dont require hub rings. i think he said he had 17in 138's.

To the op: google hunter road force balance. there is a machine locator on there site. it will tell you where the nearest certified shop is that has the hunter machine. this machine is the best machine when balancing wheels. it applies pressure to the wheel during balancing to simulate driving on a real road. this machine will also tell them if a rim is bent. hope you get the problem solved!

Thanks for the tip, found one near my house, Kauffman Tire, charges $20/wheel. The thing has fricken lasers! It has to work....

Jarek
Old 10-26-2009, 08:04 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi, Monaco Blue Metallic, Beige Dakota Leather, Dark Popular Trim, Steptronic, Premium Pkg., Cold Weather Pkg., Heated Rear Seats, Navigation, Sirius, 2004 330cic convertible, Mystic Blue Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Myrtle Wood Trim, Rare Myrtle Wood & Leather Sport Steering Wheel, Premium Pkg, Sport Pkg, Xenons, Navigation, Heated Seats, Park Distance Control 2004 R1200C Montauk Motorcycle, Artic Blue Metallic, Servo ABS Linked Brakes, Chrome Pkg, Fog Lamps, Heated Grips

Originally Posted by Alpine White Girl' post='1040435' date='Oct 26 2009, 12:07 AM

I agree, go to a shop that uses Hunter road force balancing equipment. For what it's worth all BMW dealers in the U.S. have their own version of this equipment BUT most of the dealers don't know how to use them right!! I have gone to 3 different dealers over the last 2 years and they completely _ucked up the wheel balancing . In each of the 3 case I had to go back and have them strip the wheels and start all over and the shop foreman had to balance them himself (Seems they don't want another bad report card of "come back" job which BMWUSA apparently penalizes the dealer for). BMW mechanics MAY know how to fix cars but they are not tire technicians and it's hit or miss with their competancy properly balancing tires. Having the best equipment means nothing if they are not used right

What I finally did was go to TireRack.com and use their directory to find a good local tire installer that does roadforce balancing. Put my zip code in, found a couple dealers, read the customer feedbacks of each and went to the one listed as having the best service. I then went to them and they balanced my tires better than ANY time in the past... Also found out my tires were "feathering" (wearing unevenly) on the inner edges which contributed to out of balance (maybe running for so many miles on out of balance tires from poor dealer balancing as explained previously caused the uneven wear??).

Hope this helps
Old 10-26-2009, 09:44 AM
Members

Thanks for all the tips everyone, I just picked up my car from Kauffman Tires. They test drove it and said that all is well now. They told me that it was way off from the balance I got on Friday. I will test it on the highway tonight to see if my ordeal is finally over

Jarek

Quick Reply: Are e60 wheels harder to balance?