E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

e60 Clutch Lock Valve (CDV)

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 10:31 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

I had a modified CDV (Clutch Lock/Delay Valve) installed on my 04-545i. It is a nice improvement. The modified CDV is basically a factory valve with the insides removed. The only way that you know it is different is if you physically remove the valve and look inside or if you know how the clutch feels.

My questions is this - I am having a slight engine vibration which I don't think is normal. Does not seem to have anything to do with the transmission as I get the vibration when I am sitting in nuetral (for example at 1100-1200 rpm and 1400 rpm).

I am going to take it into the dealer. As a long shot, do you think they would find that I changed the CDV and give me some warranty exclusion. Do you think I need to put the old valve back in?

I doubt many of the mechanics have ever driven a manual e60 to even know how it is supposed to feel.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:18 PM
Contributors

jsal, what kind of car do you have? Just curious, cause I have kind of a lumping vibration in mine that did not feel in loaner 545i or EBMCS03's when we swapped at the meet.

AFAIK the CDV modification would have to directly cause the problem for it to be and issue, but don't think the tech would really be able to tell that you had it modified.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:25 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by CRRobert' date='Mar 14 2005, 06:18 PM
jsal, what kind of car do you have?? Just curious, cause I have kind of a lumping vibration in mine that did not feel in loaner 545i or EBMCS03's when we swapped at the meet.

AFAIK the CDV modification would have to directly cause the problem for it to be and issue, but don't think the tech would really be able to tell that you had it modified.
[snapback]101550[/snapback]
I have a July04 production 2004 - 545i 6-speed manual.

I feel a little bit of what may be a vibration going down the road, which may be my tires starting to wine.

I can demonstrate the vibration sitting in nuetral. When I hit about 1250 and then again at 1400 rpm it is noticable where I feel it and also see it in the steering wheel.

I stopped over by my dealer this weekend and talked with my salesman. I wanted to try another 4.4l before I took it into service to see if it was characteristic of the engine. I tried a 645i and it was smooth through the full range.

I demonstrated mine, and he could feel it in the door.

BMW's are usually so smooth, that something is telling me it is not right.

Is this similar to what you have noticed?

I also hear a little noise at idle when I am outside the car, which almost sounds like an accessory bearing noise. Lastely, my computer calculated mpg is off by 4-6 mpg. Not sure if any of this is related.

I was just a little concerned that if the vibration was related to the clutch in someway (don't think it is), they could ding me if they found that the CDV was changed. It is a factory valve, so unless the tech took it off and looked inside, he would never know.

Other than that, the car has been fantastic and I have not had it back to the dealer except to get a recall s/w upgrade and get a s/w upgrade to enable the bluetooth.

I currently have 9700 miles on it.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:31 PM
Senior Members

No way the CDV will cause the engine or car to vibrate. It only functions when you depress the clutch pedal.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:08 PM
Senior Members

I doubt they could tell. They would have to compair it to a new one from BMW to tell the difference. They look identical from the outside.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:16 PM
Senior Members

You are absolutely right.

The question is, if the vibration is associated with the clutch in anyway, which I doubt, will they find out the CDV is replaced and try to void any warranty work.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:18 PM
Contributors

I don't see it in the steering wheel, but don't think it is the clutch either since I notice mine with my SMG in gear and Neutral. I have also noticed it at speed a couple of times if the road is smooth enough that the car is not bouncing around. But the vibration feels like it is independent of rpm or vehicle speed. I can feel it just sitting there, and don't remember it doing that when I first picked up the car.