E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

E60 CIC Retrofit, USB, Combox - 2006 BMW 530i

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2023, 11:42 AM
New Members

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My Ride: 535d M Sport

Originally Posted by kirvedx
Yea compact flash is what those PATA drives are made with that you can find on Ebay. Perhaps its tangible - I just don't know myself how well they perform or whether those drives have issues in the CIC. As far as a tell for the marvell controllers; most sellers will list whether they are marvell based or not. It does suck when you see 100's of listings and you have to ask the seller and wait for responses (and even worse when they don't know). I tried a couple that seemed right from what I found, but ended up a bust. I think the big tell is whether the PCB contains a full array of jumper settings for master/slave/cable select. Even if it does, it may not be marvell - but it may work because of it.

So I did confirm that what the CIC expects is that the drive is set to 'slave'. Most jumper-less interfaces are automatically (or statically) set to CS or master (but more than likely CS) and it needs it to be slave. Your CIC will still function without the drive in it, for basic things, it uses the drive for authorizations, advanced features, etc. Makes a lot more sense - I felt wrong writing 'I suspect it expects master'.
So I will have a hunt for the Marvell based adaptor, and see if I can find one that explicitly states it has a marvell chipset.
if I managed to find one then I will probably go down the Msata SSD route. But the other guy had an issue when he tried to update the maps, but when he went down the CF route it worked fine. Question is how noticeable the speeds are, I don't think they will be that much difference at all.

Will attempt this after I have done other things, but may buy all the bits. If I find them and set up the necessary software etc. Have everything prepared, and just pull out the drive and clone it.
Old 11-25-2023, 02:21 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52
Default Can’t PM for Password

I think I’m too new to the site to pm. Could you email me or something?
Old 12-09-2023, 03:15 PM
New Members

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My Ride: 535d M Sport

Originally Posted by kirvedx
Yea compact flash is what those PATA drives are made with that you can find on Ebay. Perhaps its tangible - I just don't know myself how well they perform or whether those drives have issues in the CIC. As far as a tell for the marvell controllers; most sellers will list whether they are marvell based or not. It does suck when you see 100's of listings and you have to ask the seller and wait for responses (and even worse when they don't know). I tried a couple that seemed right from what I found, but ended up a bust. I think the big tell is whether the PCB contains a full array of jumper settings for master/slave/cable select. Even if it does, it may not be marvell - but it may work because of it.

So I did confirm that what the CIC expects is that the drive is set to 'slave'. Most jumper-less interfaces are automatically (or statically) set to CS or master (but more than likely CS) and it needs it to be slave. Your CIC will still function without the drive in it, for basic things, it uses the drive for authorizations, advanced features, etc. Makes a lot more sense - I felt wrong writing 'I suspect it expects master'.
@kirvedx

Hello buddy, just to let you know i managed to do this. I got a compact flash card details below incase anyone else is interested, but i am glad i did it, during the cloning step, my HDD kept failing, it basically hung. It was on its way out.
But here are the details:-

- Sandisk Extrem Pro CF card 128GB £49.99 (Used, may get a new one or a "better one" down the line.
Working temp down to -20c, in the uk it hardly goes beyond -5 on the worst winter night.
- Syba Best Connectivity 2.5" IDE 44-pin to Dual Compact Flash Adapter , Black £42.11
- USB to IDE Adaptor £20
- Linux Mint, i know my way around Linux. But it has been a while. I just installed it on a separate partition.

Pulled the drive out, i actually waited for it stop spinning, you can hear it, give it a few minutes.

Downloaded UBCD torrent from there website, and used utorrent. Then created a bootable usb stick.

i tried numerous times to create an image from the disk but kept failing, using the USB Live for UBCD and Linux Mint. The image would fail at 12GB, or it was painfully slow. This was the command i initially used

First do fdisk -l to list the drives and their partitions. You most likely will have to do sudo fdisk -l. Your original CIC drive will be a Toshiba 80GB capacity and have multiple QNX partitions.

It can be labelled like this

/dev/sd(a,b,c,d,e,g...) so just ensure you have the right one in the if= command.
In the examples below i will pretend that my CIC original HDD is "sda", but it can be anything, so ensure you identify it via fdisk -l

Sudo dd if=/dev/sda of=/mnt/drivename/folder/cic_backup.img status=progress

This like i said failed, so i kind of began to panic. But then i decided to just go ahead and install Linux Mint, you dont have to use Linux Mint.

Then i tried the above command again, and it kept just hanging on the 12GB mark. Anyways so then i went ahead and downloaded gddrescue

Sudo-apt-get install gddrescue.

Fingers and legs crossed.. here is the command i used

Sudo ddrescue -d -r3 /dev/sda /mnt/drivename/folder/cic_backup.img

It immediately failed twice, but then i unplugged the USB adaptor, gave it 30 mins. And then tried again. And to my pleasant surprise, it began to work.
I remained tentative until it surpassed the 12GB mark, and the relief i felt.

I then left it for an hour, came back and it completed successfully. The ddrescue is awesome if you have a failing disk.

Then i just ran the dd command to restore the image on the Compact Flash card.

sudo dd if=/mnt/drivename/folder/cic_backup.img of=/dev/sdg status=progress bs=64k

This proces took around 40 minutes on a 4 year old laptop with only 8GB ram and i5 8th gen processor.

I didnt bother with the expansion of the media partition, i dont really use it to be honest, but i may test it on a USB stick. But atleast i dont have a spinning disk, and i have a backup image.

Installed the CF in the Adapter, and put it in the car.
Switched on the ignition, and navigation was grayed out, and so was the music folder.

So i switched the car off left it for 20 minutes and then returned to it and, went to navigation, and it began loading, took around 20 seconds. Music folder took around 30 seconds, although i dont use it i did upload music in there 10GB worth. And it loaded.
(I nearly had a stroke, when the navigation was grayed out, immediately i thought that the image might be corrupted due to the failing drive)

I will keep the drive as a backup.

Did it speed things up, i dont know as i hardly use the navigation and the music folder. It does zoom in and out of the maps pretty instant.
is it worth the effort and cost, of course it is.

@kirvedx these instructions arent targeted at you specifically as you are well versed with most of this, but rather at those who want to pursue this as a DIY, before their HDD fails and then they have to go through the whole issue of ascertaining FSC codes etc etc.

DISCLAIMER

Do this at your own risk, i am not responsible if you occur any damage(s) using this guide.