E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

E60 carplay/android auto/bluetooth/etc

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2020, 01:00 PM
New Members

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i auto
Default E60 carplay/android auto/bluetooth/etc

So this 545i is my first BMW, and a few weeks in I am still a bit amazed sometimes at how fiddly it can be to do anything to it - all the coding etc. But that's okay, I knew there would be a learning curve!

One thing I couldn't do is just plonk in an aftermarket head unit. I really enjoy listening to music while I drive, and the audio quality in this car is excellent. I also make phone calls while driving. I don't even have an aux input... I have coded it in, and now have the option in iDrive, but am still waiting for my cable to come so I can install it. Meanwhile I am using an FM transmitter which I have to say is much better than I expected. It's almost a good enough solution.

Still I would like something more integrated.

I first looked at the Mr12Volt unit that replaces the CD stacker. It uses the fibre optic connection and when you switch iDrive to CD, you get steering wheel controls etc. I can get this for USD 165.00 or so. Gives you bluetooth, a2dp, including bluetooth phone etc.

Then I looked at the full Android head units. These look fantastic. They leave the iDrive running and you switch between the two with a long press on the menu button. As I see it they have a killer flaw though; they take 30-40 seconds to boot up. I am 100% certain that waiting 30-40 seconds for my car stereo to work every time I get in the car would drive me nuts. If you can live with that delay, then these units by the time they have options like android auto/carplay, and a few other things, are going to be heading towards USD 750 or so. They use the Aux input although I have seen some references to the fibre optic connection and not sure how well it is integrated. The newer units are android 10, 4GB/64GB, and should be very quick (other than the boot time). They come with a new screen in place of the BMW one and you tuck the old unit away behind the new one.

Now, I am looking into the "multimedia interface" boxes. These leave your iDrive screen in place but hijack it with what I think is a lightweight linux OS. Clearly only a worthwhile option if you have the 8.8" screen. These devices boot in 1-2 seconds. Also uses long press of menu button to switch between OEM iDrive and the new device. The new device puts Android Auto, Carplay, etc, on your OEM screen. They use the Aux input for audio. This means you can have Waze/Google Maps/whatever on your iDrive screen (powered by your ios or android phone). It's also possible to add reverse camera through this unit. Looks good in the videos at least. I am talking with two suppliers on Alibaba and have a price of about USD 450 from one and USD 315 from the other, delivered. As far as I can tell they are functionally identical but one supplier (the more expensive one) seems more geared to talking to consumers outside China. The price difference is non trivial though, I mean for me USD 315 is a bit "what the heck let's try it", while USD 450 makes me hesitate more.

I am still weighing up options but have ruled out the full Android head unit due to (a) price and (b) boot time. So I have:
(a) just keep using FM transmitter, audio is okay but no steering wheel controls etc, and kinda ugly;
(b) Mr12Volt unit, should be good audio but leaves screen with original limitations;
(c) MMI type unit, costs a bit more, gives you good use of the original CCC screen.

(b) and (c) both come with a microphone but I'd explore hooking them up to the factory microphone.

I realise I am probably restating a lot of existing info but writing it out helps me think it through!

I would be interested if anyone has tried any of these options and can tell me "don't go there".

I have some info, diagrams, videos from the suppliers for (c) but don't want to look like I'm advertising stuff here...

Anthro
The following users liked this post:
bmw7882 (07-19-2022)
Old 12-30-2020, 09:10 AM
New Members

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts
My Ride: 2009 535xi Touring 6MT, 2001 325i 5MT
Engine: N54, M54

I have an Avin unit that I just took out and will sell you fairly cheap. They don’t take 30 seconds to boot up, just a few seconds. Basically by the time the navigation legal disclaimer disappears it has loaded. If you use a reverse camera with it that will display pretty much instantly after turning on the car. I used mine with Apple Wireless CarPlay all the time and it was good. Only reason I removed it is I did a CIC upgrade and there are better CarPlay options for CIC.

Last edited by kd7iwp; 12-30-2020 at 09:13 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by kd7iwp:
Anthro (12-30-2020), PinoIX (12-30-2020)
Old 12-30-2020, 11:09 AM
New Members

Thanks kd, I kept negotiating with the Chinese sellers and ended up pulling the trigger on one of the MMI units. Fingers crossed it is not junk; I will post a review when it's in.

I couldn't stand that navigation legal disclaimer, so I coded it out of existence - highly recommended!
Old 12-30-2020, 02:01 PM
New Members

Nice, so they make an MMI that works well for CCC? I was under the impression the MMI boxes (well, at least the one I got) are only for CIC units which is part of the reason why I did a CIC retrofit.
Old 12-30-2020, 03:03 PM
New Members

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 2013 BMW 535i
Model Year: 2013
Engine: 3.0L N55

I had installed the Avin unit in my car. Pretty much plug and play. Works amazing, plus I got the unit with Android 10 with SIM card capabilities. Used the SIM from a tablet I have on my Tmobile account and now I basically have a headunit with Android and unlimited internet. Pics in my build thread... link in my signature.
Old 12-30-2020, 03:10 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by kd7iwp
Nice, so they make an MMI that works well for CCC? I was under the impression the MMI boxes (well, at least the one I got) are only for CIC units which is part of the reason why I did a CIC retrofit.
I hope so! I should get it in the next few weeks. From what I can tell, because the MMI takes over the OEM screen, it is almost the same device for CCC as for CIC, other than a different LVDS plug. Fingers crossed. I think the cost and effort of CCC -> CIC conversion would hold me back.

Here is video of it working with CCC:

Originally they were asking USD 405 plus shipping for this, after some back and forth they went down to USD295 plus shipping.

I can't vouch for how good this is or isn't in real life until I get my delivery and install it! But it seems like it should cover my needs (android auto, basically) okay.

I might regret not getting the full Android 10 unit but the die is cast now... (well anyway, the full android units will only get more powerful with time, so maybe it's a 2022 addition).
Old 01-04-2021, 06:14 PM
New Members

So this was due to arrive on 11 Jan 2021, and instead just arrived today, 5 Jan 2021. Speedy delivery and well packaged are a good start. I did start to get anxious that Android Auto is just going to look lousy on the CCC screen due to screen res. Then I looked again at the CCC screen and I think it should be okay.

Crazy thing is that this quite heavy box arrived before my aux cable, even though I ordered the aux cable a couple of weeks earlier. So, I am probably going to end up fabbing my own aux socket, which is what I should have done in the first place!

I am a bit excited. Will update when I've had time to install this thing.
Old 01-05-2021, 11:24 PM
New Members

Well, this works perfectly on CCC. I am really impressed.

​I am pretty much finished installing it but for trying to find a good way to run the microphone. I would rather hook it into the oem microphone... Anyone know if i can hijack the wires from that?

I had to install an aux in socket at the same time, however this particular unit also lets you retain the aux in. It comes with a blanking plug which you can remove from the socket to use aux.

Android auto works, so does ordinary bluetooth audio. Like most od these options you access it by long pressing the menu button.

I would rather have a higher res screen obviously but the CCC screen is definitely useable.

I've attached an image that I hope will show the screen res clearly. Given that the ccc screen is a fair way from the driver, it's actually not bad at all in actual use.

Last edited by Anthro; 01-11-2021 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-06-2021, 05:25 AM
New Members

That’s fantastic to hear, thank you for sharing. I know there are lots of these products out there but not a lot of reviews of them. The box that I got for my CIC unit to do CarPlay came with a harness that taps into the original car microphone. You remove the oem harness from the mic, put the new harness on the mic, and it has a dongle hanging off to connect oem harness onto.
Old 01-06-2021, 08:23 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by kd7iwp
The box that I got for my CIC unit to do CarPlay came with a harness that taps into the original car microphone. You remove the oem harness from the mic, put the new harness on the mic, and it has a dongle hanging off to connect oem harness onto.
Interesting! Do you think you could point me to wbich wires are the mic wires at the head unit end?

Quick Reply: E60 carplay/android auto/bluetooth/etc