E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

E60 amp installation

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 10:12 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking for a place to install an amp in the trunk and just wondering if the location below is safe.
A few things, no I can't install it in the left corner of the trunk (as per Bruce's DIY), it's too wide, the spare wheel is in the trunk so can't put it in there
and I don't want to drill the rear seats.

Was thinking to just add something like a bit of plywood to the area below (its Styrofoam) and place the amp on that.
Should be good since I don't carry anything with the car.
Is there a reason not to put it there?
Attached Thumbnails E60 amp installation-img_0944-copy.jpg   E60 amp installation-img_0942-copy.jpg  
Old 06-22-2012, 04:58 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i Alpine White w/ Gray Interior; Premium, Sports, Cold Weather; Comfort Access, NAV, iPod Adapter, Sat Radio Upgrades: ★ OEM 166 (245/35F : 275/30R) ★ Motorcepts HID AEs & Fogs ★ License Plate LEDs ★ 35% Tints ★ Wish List: MTech Kit : Matte Black Kidney Grilles : R1 Concepts / Hawk Brake Kit : Blacked-out Orion Headlights

Optimal location is in the left corner since there is a vent there, but if it doesn't fit not much you can do there. The location you marked-up in red is pretty much the only option unless you attach it somehow to the underside of the rear deck.
If you place it on plywood in that location, just make sure to secure the plywood somehow. You don't want the amp to shift and leave the bare power wire in the trunk. Good luck.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:57 AM
Senior Members

I was thinking about underneath the rear shelf but the manual and also the audio installer suggested never to that since the amp will die in a few months due to improper ventilation, being upside down.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:48 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i Silver Gray/ Gray Leather. SP,PP

How about rear deck?
Old 06-26-2012, 12:55 PM
Members

My Ride: 535i sport

Originally Posted by nelson29
How about rear deck?
Here's my rear deck install.. I love it, stays out of the way and cool.E60 amp installation-imag0051-1380209316.jpg

E60 amp installation-imag0052589464215.jpg
E60 amp installation-imag0053-1661475617.jpg
Old 06-26-2012, 01:21 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Are you also installing a sub? I did and mounted the amp on the sub box. I also had heard that the amp needed ventilation but I just didn't want to drill and mount on the underside of the deck. I did on an old M3 I had and for several years no problems at all.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Originally Posted by nelson29
How about rear deck?

That's what we did for my car. Metal frame attached to underside of rear deck, and then all componets mounted to the rack. Minimal screws going into the car frame, and max retention of truck space. The only thing to keep in mind is that if your amp is very high-current, then you'll want an amp with an internal fan to aid in cooling. However, I am running my Audison LRx4.1k amp under the deck with no problems.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:36 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
That's what we did for my car. Metal frame attached to underside of rear deck, and then all componets mounted to the rack. Minimal screws going into the car frame, and max retention of truck space. The only thing to keep in mind is that if your amp is very high-current, then you'll want an amp with an internal fan to aid in cooling. However, I am running my Audison LRx4.1k amp under the deck with no problems.
Putting the amp upside is the biggest no-no if it only has passive cooling, that's according to the Alpine manual and any audio installers I've asked. Being a 5 channel amp that might be the case, Alpine MRX-v70, anyone has any experience with that one?
It will work not for more than a few months if the car gets used a lot, apparently.

However, I am running my Audison LRx4.1k amp under the deck with no problems.
For how long? My only concern is lifespan since getting good amps in Europe is a bit of a gamble so I'd need to get one from the US and I don't want to go through the hassle of sending it back in 3 months for example.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Originally Posted by sd_dracula
Putting the amp upside is the biggest no-no if it only has passive cooling, that's according to the Alpine manual and any audio installers I've asked. Being a 5 channel amp that might be the case, Alpine MRX-v70, anyone has any experience with that one?
It will work not for more than a few months if the car gets used a lot, apparently.

For how long? My only concern is lifespan since getting good amps in Europe is a bit of a gamble so I'd need to get one from the US and I don't want to go through the hassle of sending it back in 3 months for example.
It has been 3 years, with no issues. I did ask about mounting upside down, but my installer said the Audison has a cooling fan.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:33 AM
Senior Members

Fair enough. That explains it then

Quick Reply: E60 amp installation