E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

E60 550i Dyno w/ AFE, w/ stock, w/ stock + RPi

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 06:00 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats one car. Where are the other two cars with the same mods tested the same way? I'd bet 3 e60 v8s will put down 3 different whp numbers stock.
Yes, my Evo was tuned as all good turbo cars should. This has nothing to do with me, it has everything to do with bad mouthing a product baseed on invalid/minimal testing.

Again, show me 3 runs with 3 diff e60 v8 cars stock. Then attach the AFE CAI and run it 3 times with those same cars and show the results.

You're not going to be able to talk yourself out of valid testing.

dyno. at least 2 diff cars. no mods except what we're testing. post graphs. good luck.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:13 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Originally Posted by evo42' post='705932' date='Oct 28 2008, 07:00 PM
Thats one car. Where are the other two cars with the same mods tested the same way? I'd bet 3 e60 v8s will put down 3 different whp numbers stock.
Yes, my Evo was tuned as all good turbo cars should. This has nothing to do with me, it has everything to do with bad mouthing a product baseed on invalid/minimal testing.

Again, show me 3 runs with 3 diff e60 v8 cars stock. Then attach the AFE CAI and run it 3 times with those same cars and show the results.

You're not going to be able to talk yourself out of valid testing.

dyno. at least 2 diff cars. no mods except what we're testing. post graphs. good luck.
I think we're missing some basic principles here.

1) RPI happened to test 2 different vehicles with AFE intakes and noticed both of them lost power.
2) I think in both cases, RPI reinstalled the stock intake and got immediate gains on the dyno.
3) Weather or not they've done it already or will do the different tests you proposed, I don't see why they have to go through that trouble to prove that ANOTHER company's product does not work?????
Old 10-28-2008, 06:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: A Car faster than yours.....

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='705948' date='Oct 28 2008, 07:13 PM
I think we're missing some basic principles here.

1) RPI happened to test 2 different vehicles with AFE intakes and noticed both of them lost power.
2) I think in both cases, RPI reinstalled the stock intake and got immediate gains on the dyno.
3) Weather or not they've done it already or will do the different tests you proposed, I don't see why they have to go through that trouble to prove that ANOTHER company's product does not work?????
He's not going to get it. The map I posted above is the very basics of tuning. If you cant get that, then its really pointless to keep on explaining. Really, Im not here to go out of my way to prove what we believe. The facts and theories are presented. Time to make educated decisions. BTW Tony, Ill reserve my room. You can stop with the PMs. lol/.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:24 PM
Contributors

Were the same vehicles with the exact same mods? Was that on a dyno or drag racing? The point im trying to make is everyone is lining for a refund for what I think is based on erroneous data.

This isnt hard to figure out if you think about it. Set a baseline, then run tests and compare the baseline with the test results. All I see is pics of dynos, the same m5 graph floating around and people badmouthing a manufacturer after they purchased the product under their own power.

I know noone at AFE or RPI, I own neither product. Everyone, get your OWN damn car dyno'd as it is right now and save the results. Next time you throw money at your car, take it the same dyno after you ad the mod and see for yourself. Then take responsibilty if you've bought the wrong part and find another product that works for you.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:27 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Originally Posted by RPIpower' post='705958' date='Oct 28 2008, 07:22 PM
BTW Tony, Ill reserve my room. You can stop with the PMs. lol/.
LOL!!! DO IT NOW cause I'm about to send another set of PMs.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Originally Posted by evo42' post='705960' date='Oct 28 2008, 09:24 PM
Next time you throw money at your car, take it the same dyno after you ad the mod and see for yourself. Then take responsibilty if you've bought the wrong part and find another product that works for you.
Jeff, Who here is going to spend over $100 to dyno their car for a $200-300 mod??? Not many would or will. That is why everyone here relies on the claims and testing done by the manufacturer.

Unfortunately AFE misrepresented their product and their HP gains thereby taking advantage of their distributors(r1racer) and customers(me). By taking returns, AFE has made an admission of guilt, proving to all of us that they indeed did knowingly sell a product that made no appreciable HP gains and in most instances reduced HP. Jeff, why should we as customers pay the price for AFE's poor business acumen?
Old 10-28-2008, 09:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: A Car faster than yours.....

Originally Posted by evo42' post='705960' date='Oct 28 2008, 07:24 PM
Next time you throw money at your car, take it the same dyno after you ad the mod and see for yourself. Then take responsibilty if you've bought the wrong part and find another product that works for you.
Well said. Unfortunately, it doesnt always happen this way. Its rare and not practical for everyone to have all the products they buy dyno tested. Its for this reason, many people rely on their trusted shops and companies to provide them with accurate data.

In this case, there is a difference in opinion and testing methods.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by evo42' post='705960' date='Oct 28 2008, 07:24 PM
Great advice Your logic implies that if a manufacture claims a product enhances, yet the opposite holds true, it's the consumer's fault for buying the wrong part? I'm sorry, but that's just BS. I don't have the time, energy, resources, or an R&D team on payroll. That's why I purchase parts from companies that do. Had I ordered a part for a 550, when my car is a 545, your argument becomes valid. It's my fault for ordering the wrong part. However, if I order a part the manufacture clearly and boldly states is for my model car, and said product does not enhance - it has an opposite effect on my model car, then it is the manufacture's responsibility to ensure that claim is true. If not, then the manufacture has the responsibility to correct the bogus/misleading claim. Basic consumer protection.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Silver 535i Virgin--Becoming a Beast!

Originally Posted by advancedlogic' post='706557' date='Oct 29 2008, 09:43 AM
Great advice Your logic implies that if a manufacture claims a product enhances, yet the opposite holds true, it's the consumer's fault for buying the wrong part? I'm sorry, but that's just BS. I don't have the time, energy, resources, or an R&D team on payroll. That's why I purchase parts from companies that do. Had I ordered a part for a 550, when my car is a 545, your argument becomes valid. It's my fault for ordering the wrong part. However, if I order a part the manufacture clearly and boldly states is for my model car, and said product does not enhance - it has an opposite effect on my model car, then it is the manufacture's responsibility to ensure that claim is true. If not, then the manufacture has the responsibility to correct the bogus/misleading claim. Basic consumer protection.
What up fellas? Great thread here.

Sorry to have entered it so late.

I have had my AFE intake for a Full Year on my 08 550i. I have spoke with Joe(Vegas Trashed)and he told me weeks ago to go back to my Stock Air Box. I also purchased and had the AFE product installed at D2 Technik in Alhambra.
What do I need to do to get a refund for the product?

Upon having my Stock Air Box re-installed, what Filter should I use to maximize my set up. (Custom Quad Exhaust and Re-Map)

What's up Eloy? How are you bro? Are you closer to getting your scoops to maximize the performance of the 550i?

Thanks to any and all for instructions.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:37 AM
Members

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='705926' date='Oct 28 2008, 06:52 PM
..How about removing the scoops and re-dyno his car and then also doing another dyno after he abuses it for a few weeks?
I will try to talk him into that testing scenario. He needs to get spank more often before sense of urgency kick in

Quick Reply: E60 550i Dyno w/ AFE, w/ stock, w/ stock + RPi