E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

E60 550 clutch / flywheel upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 09:26 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 550i 6 speed, sport package
Default E60 550 clutch / flywheel upgrade

So my clutch went around 120k... got another Sachs one put in it.. did one “burnout” with the car and burnt the clutch up instead of the tires (a 6 month old clutch) car has a full dual exhaust with 1 single chamber muffler, a dinan intake, tune getting done in the near future but not yet

I drive fast and all.. but i dont abuse the car, literally did 2 burnouts with it ever, never did a donut, I don’t bang gears or flat shift, clean rev matches all the time. so I’m pissed

Going to take the loss and by the upgraded Sachs 4 prong one rated for 780nm (kinda overkill)

main question WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS FOR A FLYWHEEL UPGRADE? Or do they last pretty long and will the stock one hold power after my bolt on stuff and a tune? I think feel flywheel chatter now, I did not replace it last time I did the clutch

Old 12-06-2019, 11:39 AM
New Members

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts
My Ride: E61 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

As I'm sure you know the general practice is to machine/surface the flywheel every time you switch clutches. The stock being a dual mass flywheel, you cannot machine them and the are $1000-$2000 to replace (awesome I know right). Assuming you replaced the DMF when you replaced the clutch?

The other option is to switch to an aftermarket single mass flywheel like older cars. You get the better clutch feel we used to have but with these transmissions you can get some light noise(chatter like) at idle with the clutch out. This can be made better with a heavier SMF or a sprung clutch (vs unsprung like stock)
Old 12-06-2019, 01:44 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 550i 6 speed, sport package

Originally Posted by neilv
As I'm sure you know the general practice is to machine/surface the flywheel every time you switch clutches. The stock being a dual mass flywheel, you cannot machine them and the are $1000-$2000 to replace (awesome I know right). Assuming you replaced the DMF when you replaced the clutch?

The other option is to switch to an aftermarket single mass flywheel like older cars. You get the better clutch feel we used to have but with these transmissions you can get some light noise(chatter like) at idle with the clutch out. This can be made better with a heavier SMF or a sprung clutch (vs unsprung like stock)

I reused the original flywheel, tech told me it was in good condition with no hot spots.. I didn’t check it myself. I know it’s not recommended, but I know people who have done it. Plus it was pricy and my tech thought it would be fine. I’ve had some other issues with it, since the last clutch job about 10k ago. A handful of times I had trouble getting it into gear, and it popped out of 1st maybe 3 times on me.. I didn’t think too much of it

I am not sure what all is bad, but it’s all getting replaced this time. Pedal it’s mush and barely wants to come up and grab. But once it grabs it seems to hold power. Chatters like crazy. I know clutch was burnt but I’m assuming flywheel issue as well.

I have been looking for a single mass flywheel for months.. I can’t find any for a 550. Hoping someone knows where I can get one

Old 12-09-2019, 04:04 AM
New Members

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts
My Ride: E61 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

I mean its always a risk but it is a good thing they checked. It sounds like the clutch was installed wrong or wasnt broken in properly. Have you checked the slave too? Are you still running the CDV?

I'm not sure if the flywheels are different than the N54/N55 cars but I do know the 550i/335is factory clutch is an upgrade for N54/N55 cars and can hold ~500HP & Tq even with harder use; absolutely more than the N62s will make with any mod other than forced induction.
Old 08-04-2021, 10:15 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 550i

I know this is an old thread, but I just turned my flywheel in to spec last week to have an aluminum single mass designed. The rep said it will be available to purchase once it's finished