E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

E60 1M replica bumper already??

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 05:37 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i, 07' gallardo, 12' s65

I actually ordered one of these from ebay not too long ago. The fitment and quality wasn't really worth the 1000 bucks though... When we did the install a few corners didn't look like they lined up with the headlights and fenders. We ended up spending a few days straightening up the lines and made a new mold to make a few copies. Now I have the bumper fitting perfect but in carbon fiber!

So if you guys plan on buying one of these prepare to do some light fiberglass work! Looks amazing if you take the time to clean it up though.

Also, you guys should think about ditching those ugly cheap looking chicken wire bumper grills they give you and have someone make you a nice clean plastic mesh grill.

Last edited by Munki; 03-06-2014 at 05:43 AM.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:52 AM
Members

Munki,
Thanks for your review on the quality of the bumper. I figured like most aftermarket that it would need slight tweeking. I am personally holding out for another group buy. Care to post any pics of your carbon fiber version?
Old 03-10-2014, 02:30 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Actually Duraflex is not what one might consider fiberglass. Its glass filled just as our bumpers are. PP material uses the glass fill because of the needed strength. You will find this most likely on the back as PP GFxx the percent of glass fill will vary depending on the strength needed. I'm thinking this is a "solid" bumper from a tool and not one that has been cut and welded. Welding on PP of small parts is ok, but the larger the item larger the risks of cracks etc developing is rather high.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:04 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i 6MT

ive been playing around with the idea of making some of these bumpers...
take my oem bumper since i have a m5 front on my car and have no use for the oem and get my hands on a cheap 1m bumper and get to work.....
anyone seen a pics of progress of someone building one of these, im curious as to what exactly they use to put it together.
sheet metal pieces with screws and fiberglass along with some 3m ez sand?
im in the autobody industry and this makes me eager to try it haha. so anyone seen progression shots?
Old 03-13-2014, 06:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 550i
Model Year: 06

There was a thread over at m5board where the guy showed pics and talked about how it was put together. I'll do a search for it later but you could try in the mean time if you want.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:58 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by Bill109
ive been playing around with the idea of making some of these bumpers...
take my oem bumper since i have a m5 front on my car and have no use for the oem and get my hands on a cheap 1m bumper and get to work.....
anyone seen a pics of progress of someone building one of these, im curious as to what exactly they use to put it together.
sheet metal pieces with screws and fiberglass along with some 3m ez sand?
im in the autobody industry and this makes me eager to try it haha. so anyone seen progression shots?
Bill, they are sectioning/lap welding these. I don't believe any screws would be used. From what I've seen artist is using a plastic welder and most likely not one from the local Harbor Freight store... You can get cheaply priced guns there but for something this large you would need a much better one. I believe next they are using a glass filled filler finishing with a standard filler. The filler appears to be quite thick as you can imagine to level everything out. I guess though, time will tell of the quality of this modification since cracking and joint separation is highly possible... If you can locate a M1 bumper the project could be fun and interesting.