E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

DVD OPTION IN IDRIVE???

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 11:17 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i sport

HELLO ALL
I AM RATHER NEW TO THE FORUMS SO I HAVENT DONE MANY POSTS BUT I HAVE NOT HAD ANY LUCK WITH FINDING AN ANSWER TO MY QUESTION SO I FIGURED I WILL DO A POST TO SEE IF ANY ONE CAN SHED SOME LIGHT ON MY SITUATION.
SO SINCE I GOT MY CAR IVE BEEN LOOKING FOR WAYS TO PLAY MY IPOD THREW MY IDRIVE I CAME ACROSS TWO OPTIONS THE DENSION GATEWAY 500 OR THE OEM BMW IPOD BUT I HAVE AN 2004 BMW 545I SO I HAVE TO GET AN UPGRADE BEFORE I CAN DO ANY THING SO ABOUT A WEEK AGO I TOOK IT TO THE BMW DEALERSHIP AND ASKED WHAT MY OPTIONS WHERE AND HE TOLD ME I NEEDED TO UPGRADE THE SYSTEM AND THEN THEY WILL PUT THE INTERFACE IN AND WENT ON TO QUOTE ME 711.00 A LITTLE TOO MUCH FOR JUST A IPOD INTERFACE SO I ASKED THEM HOW MUCH IT IS TO JUST GET THE UPGRADE THEY SAID AROUND 250.00. SO JUST OUT OF CURIOSITY I ASKED THEM IS THERE ANY WAY I CAN WATCH DVDS ON MY IDRIVE HE SAID NO SO I ASKED WHY DO I HAVE AN OPTION FOR DVD IN MY IDRIVE SCREEN ALONG WITH THE SIX CD OPTIONS AND WENT ON TO SHOW HIM WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT HE SAID THAT HE DOSE NOT KNOW WHY THAT IS THERE AND THAT THE OWNER BEFORE ME PROBABLY HAD SOME KIND OF PROGRAM DONE TO IT THREW AN AFTER MARKET CAR SHOP
SO HERE IS MY QUESTIONS
DOSE THIS OPTION COME WITH THE CAR OR WAS IT ADDED?
IF IT WAS ADDED HOW DO I ENABLE IT SO I CAN USE IT???
AND DOSE ANY ONE ELSE HAVE THIS OPTION??

HERE ARE SOME PICS OF WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT
DVD OPTION IN IDRIVE???-photo-1.jpg
DVD OPTION IN IDRIVE???-photo-2.jpg
DVD OPTION IN IDRIVE???-photo-3.jpg

IF ANY ONE HAS ANY ANSWERS PLEASE LET ME KNOW
THANKS
Old 04-18-2011, 03:29 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Welcome to the forum.

Now.... edit your post to get rid of the caps and add in some punctuation so we can read it

Best tip for a forum is to write good questions and make it easy for someone to give you a helpful response. - I hope mine is!

Cheers!
Old 04-18-2011, 07:19 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

Originally Posted by NoQuarter
Welcome to the forum.

Now.... edit your post to get rid of the caps and add in some punctuation so we can read it

Best tip for a forum is to write good questions and make it easy for someone to give you a helpful response. - I hope mine is!

Cheers!

LOL. +1 I had to flip my monitor upside down for the pictures!!

EDITED:

Hello All,

I am rather new to the forums so I haven't posted much. I have not had much luck looking for answered to my question so I figures I would start s thread to see if anyone can shed some light on my situation. Since I have purchased my car, I have been looking for ways to pay my IPOD through my IDRIVE. I came across two options: Gateway Dension 500 or the OEM BMW IPOD interface. However, I have a 2004 BMW 545i which means I have to get an upgrade before I can do anything. About a week ago, I took it to the BMW STEALERSHIP and asked what my options were. The STEALERSHIP told me I needed to upgrade the IDRIVE system and then they will install the interface into my car. I was quoted $711. That's a little too much for just an IPOD interface so I asked them how much it will cost to just upgrade the IDRIVE system. They told me it will be around $250. So out of curiosity, I asked them if there is any way for me to wacth DVDs on my IDRIVE. They told me I cannot so I asked them how come I have an option for DVD on my IDRIVE screen along with the 6 CD options. I went to show him what I was talking about and he told me he does not know why I have an option and the previous owner may have some programming done through an aftermarket shop.

So here's my questions:
Does this option come with the car or was it added?
It it was added, how do I enable it so I can use it?
And does anyone else have this options?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want just the OEM IPOD interface, find a local shop that is familiar with it. You can get the OEM interface for around $300 to $350 and program and install will cost $150 to $200. Total is MAX $550. You DO NOT need to update the idrive system at all.

The DVD option is only for your navigation and putting in audio files on te DVD. It does not play DVD video.

Cannot be enabled

No one has this option.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:31 PM
Members

Originally Posted by NoQuarter
Welcome to the forum.

Cheers!
Lol sorry about that i was half sleep wen i made that post and did not feel like doing everything over again.
Thanks for the advise
Old 04-18-2011, 10:01 PM
Members

Originally Posted by John@Motorcepts
LOL. +1 I had to flip my monitor upside down for the pictures!!

EDITED:

Hello All,

I am rather new to the forums so I haven't posted much. I have not had much luck looking for answered to my question so I figures I would start s thread to see if anyone can shed some light on my situation. Since I have purchased my car, I have been looking for ways to pay my IPOD through my IDRIVE. I came across two options: Gateway Dension 500 or the OEM BMW IPOD interface. However, I have a 2004 BMW 545i which means I have to get an upgrade before I can do anything. About a week ago, I took it to the BMW STEALERSHIP and asked what my options were. The STEALERSHIP told me I needed to upgrade the IDRIVE system and then they will install the interface into my car. I was quoted $711. That's a little too much for just an IPOD interface so I asked them how much it will cost to just upgrade the IDRIVE system. They told me it will be around $250. So out of curiosity, I asked them if there is any way for me to wacth DVDs on my IDRIVE. They told me I cannot so I asked them how come I have an option for DVD on my IDRIVE screen along with the 6 CD options. I went to show him what I was talking about and he told me he does not know why I have an option and the previous owner may have some programming done through an aftermarket shop.

So here's my questions:
Does this option come with the car or was it added?
It it was added, how do I enable it so I can use it?
And does anyone else have this options?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want just the OEM IPOD interface, find a local shop that is familiar with it. You can get the OEM interface for around $300 to $350 and program and install will cost $150 to $200. Total is MAX $550. You DO NOT need to update the idrive system at all.

The DVD option is only for your navigation and putting in audio files on te DVD. It does not play DVD video.

Cannot be enabled

No one has this option.
Sorry about the pictures i did not feel like rotating and uploading them again.
Thanks for clearing that dvd question up for me, as far as the ipod goes i do not really want the OEM BMW ipod interface i really was leaning more towards the Gateway 500 but could not find any shops that can do the upgrade and install for it to work, i asked the person who's selling it to me if i would need an upgrade for it to work and he said if my CD player does not play Mp3 cds i will have to get an upgrade to my idrive system.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:47 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

Originally Posted by KC Hustle
Sorry about the pictures i did not feel like rotating and uploading them again.
Thanks for clearing that dvd question up for me, as far as the ipod goes i do not really want the OEM BMW ipod interface i really was leaning more towards the Gateway 500 but could not find any shops that can do the upgrade and install for it to work, i asked the person who's selling it to me if i would need an upgrade for it to work and he said if my CD player does not play Mp3 cds i will have to get an upgrade to my idrive system.
not true. u may not be able to see the song names on the idrive screen but you may still listen via the GW500
Old 04-20-2011, 06:27 PM
Members

Oh ok i see what you are saying i guess i'll just get the GW500 first to listen to my ipod then wen i have a little bit more money i will get that upgrade so i can use it threw the i drive, it would be nice not having to reach for my iphone to change a song every 3 minutes.... And safer as well