E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

dvd on idrive in e60

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 10:38 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 525i sport, premium, winter, xenon. xm satellite radio, navwithtv dvd system, 1 jl 10w7 sub powered by xtant 1001x amp. 20x8.5/10 on nitto nt555 rubber. acs roof and decklid spoiler, breyton front spoiler.

SORRY FOR THE LATE RESPONSE I HAVEN'T BEEN HOME ALL DAY. OK EVERYBODY HERES THE DEAL THE COST OF THE UNIT WAS 500 I HAD IT INSTALLED BY MY FRIEND PETE AT AUTODYNAMICS ON LONG ISLAND. YOU CAN CALL DOMINIC AT NAVWITHTV IN ORDER TO GET THE UNIT. AS FAR AS THE INSTALLATION GOES I BELIEVE ITS A DIRECT PLUGIN BETWEEN THE IDRIVE AND THE UNIT BUT I AM NOT POSITIVE AS I DID NOT RISK DOING IT BY MYSELF (NOT THAT BRAVE). MY DVD PLAYER IS A SEPERATE UNIT <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'> I DON'T</span> HAVE NAV SO YES IT IS POSSIBLE TO DO WITHOUT THE NAV OR THE NAV DVD PLAYER. I HAVE A PRETTY STANDARD SLOT LOADING MOBILE DVD PLAYER SO THATS NOTHING SPECIAL. THE SYSTEM WORKS BY PRESSING THE MUTE BUTTON ON THE REMOTE THATS PROVIDED AND THE SCREEN SWITCHES OVER FROM THE IDRIVE TO THE DVD SCREEN. I THEN HAVE A SWITCH MOUNTED UNDER MY STEERING COLUMN TO TURN THE FM MODULATOR ON AND OFF. THE FM MODULATOR SOUND IS OK BUT NOT TOP NOTCH SO I AM CURRENTLY LOOKING FOR AN ALTERNATIVE TO THAT. YOU CAN STILL USE THE IDRIVE FUNCTION THAT IS SELECTED (BASS, TREBLE, SEAT HEAT, ETC.) WHILE THE DVD IS PLAYING SO THE DVD SEEMS TO BE JUST AN OVERLAY OVER THE IDRIVE DISPLAY AND DOES NOT ACTUALLY OVERRIDE THE IDRIVE. THE FINAL COST OF THE WHOLE OPERATION WAS UNDER $900 INCLUDING THE DVD PLAYER,FM MODUALTOR, UNIT AND INSTALLATION BUT PRICES WILL VARY BASED ON THE INSTALLATION COST. I HOPE THIS ANSWERS EVERYBODY'S QUESTIONS
-JOHN
Old 11-11-2004, 11:03 PM
Contributors

Thanks for the info JOHN. Now does anyone know of someone who can do this installation on the west coast...California in particular? There's gotta be someone!
Old 11-12-2004, 12:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

This RGB-modulator discussion has been already going on in other post. One advantage in this setup is that I can ad one more computer to my car and have TV! I have WLAN in home and if I have that in my car I can upload new music, videos, DVDs, etc to my carputer without taking anything with me when going in to car. Also I can have NAV system, games, internet connection, e-mail, where ever I am. Of course have to have GSM, GPRS or other similar service through mobile operator.

Originally Posted by buddy' date='Nov 12 2004, 02:49 AM
I also asked about a multi discount and he said depends on how many.? Saving up to get this module so i can have some type of nav and movie for the wifey on some long trips.
[snapback]55139[/snapback]
Very interested, count me in!

Skaffa
Old 11-12-2004, 01:54 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i 6speed

Still don't get it over here !!!

All this device does is hijack the iDrive screen, right ???

To use an external navigation system, the portable unit (garmin, magellan, etc) would need a video out plug which I dont believe they possess. It would need a remote (now you've got two remotes, one for the nav and the other for this module). You would then have to mount the nav device somewhere where you could use the remote, and have to endure garbled sound unless you use yet another device (FM transmitter) to get sound to the E60 sound system.

The use for gaming and computer functions is equally curious. I'd rather use my laptop.

I think this module is mostly a toy for E60 tinkerers !!! I guess if you 've tricked out your ride with new wheels, body kits, and the like this may be the next project but I dont see its great utility.
Old 11-12-2004, 02:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

Originally Posted by Gizmo' date='Nov 12 2004, 01:54 PM
Still don't get it over here !!!

All this device does is hijack the iDrive screen, right ???

You would then have to mount the nav device somewhere where you could use the remote, and have to endure garbled sound unless you use yet another device (FM transmitter) to get sound to the E60 sound system.

The use for gaming and computer functions is equally curious. I'd rather use my laptop.

I think this module is mostly a toy for E60 tinkerers !!!? I guess if you 've tricked out your ride with new wheels, body kits, and the like this may be the next project but I dont see its great utility.
[snapback]55248[/snapback]
Still I try to make my point.

It just hijack iDrive.

For the sound we have aux input in our cars.

Do You always have laptop in Your car? I have GPS receiver and laptop which make my NAV system at the moment (actually CD drive is broken so no NAV in laptop).

Yes this tinkering.

Skaffa
Old 11-12-2004, 03:24 AM
Members

there should be a way to use this video module and the audio in that was mentioned a couple post ago.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04 525i w/ sports and premium pakage, titanium silver, gray dakota leather w/ polar grain wood trim, steptronic

does that thing only play dvd???or can watch tv also???
Old 11-12-2004, 11:52 AM
Senior Members

welcome aboard, kreate !
Old 11-12-2004, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Welcome aboard, KREATE !
Old 11-12-2004, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by JiMmY912' date='Nov 12 2004, 08:57 PM
does that thing only play dvd???or can watch tv also???
[snapback]55376[/snapback]
AFAI understand, DVD only!

Quick Reply: dvd on idrive in e60