E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

drop on sports suspension vs non sport

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 09:49 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would the drop on a sports suspensin be the same as a non sport?

Meaning there is a huge gap on the non sport suspension if i was to drop it 1.2" would it end up just as low as if i had the sport suspension? would ihave to go with a 2" drop since my car is much higher to achieve a sports suspension look?
Old 04-09-2007, 10:12 AM
JPJ
Contributors

Originally Posted by rjcastr' post='411749' date='Apr 9 2007, 12:49 PM
Would the drop on a sports suspensin be the same as a non sport?

Meaning there is a huge gap on the non sport suspension if i was to drop it 1.2" would it end up just as low as if i had the sport suspension? would ihave to go with a 2" drop since my car is much higher to achieve a sports suspension look?
A non sport or sport will end up at the same final height on the same springs. So for example when Eibach Pro-kit says it gives a 1.2" drop, this is off the non sport original height. For a sport package, you are starting 0.7" lower already, so only get an additional 0.5" when changng to the same springs.

So a "sport" spring (H&R sport or Eibach Pro-kit) will drop you a little lower that the OE sport and tighten the suspension up at the same time. To get a 2" drop you would need to go with something like the H&R race springs.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:14 AM
Senior Members

Non Sport
Before

After

I had about 3 inches from top of tread too lip of fender I have about 1.5 or less left...no rubbing no issues

I would think a stock sport would still have some space between tire and fender. When i Have pulled even with a sport car its close in ride height just looks different. I think there is a data sheet with some measurements of peoples cars with all different aspects..here or on bimmerfest
Old 04-09-2007, 10:14 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JPJ' post='411756' date='Apr 9 2007, 01:12 PM
A non sport or sport will end up at the same final height on the same springs. So for example when Eibach Pro-kit says it gives a 1.2" drop, this is off the non sport original height. For a sport package, you are starting 0.7" lower already, so only get an additional 0.5" when changng to the same springs.

So a "sport" spring (H&R sport or Eibach Pro-kit) will drop you a little lower that the OE sport and tighten the suspension up at the same time. To get a 2" drop you would need to go with something like the H&R race springs.

so if i understand this correctly the end result would be the same the 1.2 inch drop would be the same on a sport suspension or a non sport ?

i wonder if this is good enough? or the H&R race?
Old 04-09-2007, 10:34 AM
JPJ
Contributors

Originally Posted by rjcastr' post='411759' date='Apr 9 2007, 01:14 PM
so if i understand this correctly the end result would be the same the 1.2 inch drop would be the same on a sport suspension or a non sport ?

i wonder if this is good enough? or the H&R race?
The springs control the overall ride height, so a sport and non sport would be the same once they have the same springs -- it is just the amount of change before and after that is different. The non-sport would drop the full 1.2" while the OE sport will drop only 0.5" from where it started -- in the end they will be the same though.

If you think slightly lower than the OE sport height is good, then just go with an aftermarket sport spring. The race spring is a pretty big drop and would wear your stock shocks out pretty quickly. If you want to go that low you might want to look for coil overs.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:57 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JPJ' post='411777' date='Apr 9 2007, 01:34 PM
The springs control the overall ride height, so a sport and non sport would be the same once they have the same springs -- it is just the amount of change before and after that is different. The non-sport would drop the full 1.2" while the OE sport will drop only 0.5" from where it started -- in the end they will be the same though.

If you think slightly lower than the OE sport height is good, then just go with an aftermarket sport spring. The race spring is a pretty big drop and would wear your stock shocks out pretty quickly. If you want to go that low you might want to look for coil overs.

jpj thanks for the info, i think im going with sports that should be good enough i think