E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Drone Resonance and more Droning Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 10:21 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: I have a 2007 Black Sapphire BMW 530i with SMG. It has the auburn interior, has PDC, Sports Package, Premium Package, rear automatic sunshades with manual side sunshades, 35% black tint, Upgraded angeleyes from Angelibrights, and Logic 7 Sound System
Model Year: 2007

OK, so the quad exhaust bug has hit me and here is my plan. First, I have a 2007 530i SMG, so it does not compare to the 545/550. The 530i still has three OE resonators and the big muffler in the back. What I want to do is starting from the headers, keep the two OE resonators and after that, insert x pipe. Then I don't really know what I want to do.
A few options:

1) I could replace the 3rd OE resonator with magnaflow/borla. the question hear is should I get the turbo muffler, or what is the other one called? Also, if the turbo muffler the same as baffled muffler? After the magnaflow, I would just straig pipe with a "Y" to both sides.

2) I could keep the 3rd OE resonator and then add a "Y" with appropriate piping to both sides. Then I would add what kind of mufflers? I do not want any droning, but I do not mind a loud exhaust tone. Just no droning on highways. So I am guessing that I could add the baffled mufflers here?

Also, I read that the piping changed from 2.5 to 3 and the back to 2.5. What if you just changed all piping to 2.5 or maybe 2.75?

Thanks and keep up the good work guys.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Silver 535i Virgin--Becoming a Beast!

Originally Posted by houbmw' post='510931' date='Dec 26 2007, 11:21 PM
OK, so the quad exhaust bug has hit me and here is my plan. First, I have a 2007 530i SMG, so it does not compare to the 545/550. The 530i still has three OE resonators and the big muffler in the back. What I want to do is starting from the headers, keep the two OE resonators and after that, insert x pipe. Then I don't really know what I want to do.
A few options:

1) I could replace the 3rd OE resonator with magnaflow/borla. the question hear is should I get the turbo muffler, or what is the other one called? Also, if the turbo muffler the same as baffled muffler? After the magnaflow, I would just straig pipe with a "Y" to both sides.

2) I could keep the 3rd OE resonator and then add a "Y" with appropriate piping to both sides. Then I would add what kind of mufflers? I do not want any droning, but I do not mind a loud exhaust tone. Just no droning on highways. So I am guessing that I could add the baffled mufflers here?

Also, I read that the piping changed from 2.5 to 3 and the back to 2.5. What if you just changed all piping to 2.5 or maybe 2.75?

Sup buddy! Here is the scoop best as I understand it. I met with Triple AAA today and they fixed the pipe hangers next to my Remus Mufflers that was rattling due to being too close to one another.

I spoke with the owner Phil A and he drove with me for about 3 miles in my car to listen to the droning and advise. He said there is "NO POSSIBLE WAY" to eliminate all droning on an V8 with Aftermarket exhaust unless you keep all 3 resonators on and install multiple mufflers.(Center and both sides back). As he stated, "what's the point" of an after market exhaust if you can't hear it at all?

My droning is exactly at the "droning point" between 700 and 2.5k RPMs. So far it's not unbearable as I can drive and carry on a conversation with a customer on bluetooth with windows down or up. Passengers(women)did complain about it while riding in the back of my car on Sunday. I listened to the valet at the Glendale Galleria start it up and drive it away thru the parking garage today and it sounds SWEET! I also listened to it on X-Mas Day with "FEDCAPER" and "RODYBMW" and we all agreed it sounds amazing. FEDCAPER thinks it even sounds better than his RDS Quads!!!! It doesn't sound RICEY or GHETTO at all. The Remus is a deep-F-1 distinguishable tone. Not menacing but definitely "I'm here b*tches" tone to it when it rolls up. I actually think it sounds like a Mondeneo when downshiting between 3 and 2nd between 3000 and 1500 RPMS.

Onto your questions. Go with Remus if you want sound and avoid Magnaflow/Borla like the plague(to avoid droning). Look at my thread for ideas as to where to install the Remus 4.5 Universals. If you decided to keep all 3 OE Resonators and install Mufflers at the back just recognize that no Muffler will fit on the right side and be totally concealed. Even the RDS Quad Muffler on the Right Side is strangely installed vertically and kind of "crushed inward" as a unique design for optimal fitament. It looks strange is you ask me. It's definitely the best muffler fitament I've seen in that small ass compartment. Any other muffler you try to squeeze in there will be seen by the naked eye if somebody is looking for it. Triple AAA will not install there anymore as Phil/Pepe realize it doesn't look to hot. My piping is all 2.5.

I don't think there is any possible way to avoid "some torque loss" when installing better breathing passageways. It's weird as I'm now learing my car's new "sweet spots" where the exhaust flow just overwhelms the car's torque curve and hurdles her forward at the speed of light. My biggest complaint is the loss of "instant torque" when cruising in 4th or 5th. I make up for it by shifting when driving now.

Phil actually told me to drive it another 2 weeks before deciding if I wanted to eliminate the droning all together. He said if we chose that path, he'd actually take off the first 2 OE Resonators(right after the cats)and install another 2 Remus Universals there. He said 4 Remus Mufflers would dramatically lessen the droning. I questioned whether they would fit and he said they could make them fit for certain. Should be food for thought for many of us down the road.

Good luck!

Jay C
Old 12-27-2007, 04:39 AM
Senior Members

...or going with a pre fabricated quad setup for the 530i ?
No hassle, minimum drone, easy installation.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by houbmw' post='510931' date='Dec 27 2007, 01:21 AM
A few options:

The piping is actually 2.25" to 3" back to 2.25" (O.D) for each muffler on the 545i. I don't know about the I6 exhaust setup.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Jay, I'm glad you're pretty happy with your setup. The women is the ultimate test of your exhaust in the long run.

I went quad for the looks, and little more sound wouldn't hurt, but it seems that you like the louder sound level than me. Did you hear my stationary sound clip reving up to 4-5K rpm?

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=47211&hl=quad

As soon as I get some times off the kids, I'll post the interior sound (droning). For technical reasons, consumber camcorders don't do very well recording background noise (the drone and resonance) well. Stay tune.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

A good thread over on e90post on droning. Check it out.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

B32/Rody,
Has anyone looked into Dynamat as an absorption solution for the droning?
Old 12-29-2007, 12:31 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by vegastrashed' post='511182' date='Dec 27 2007, 04:43 PM
B32/Rody,
Looks like it could work. According to their website the Dynamat Xtreme by itself, or in combination with one of their Liners would work for reducing road/exhaust noise.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:42 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by vegastrashed' post='511182' date='Dec 27 2007, 06:43 PM
B32/Rody,
I looked over at the Corvette Forum and some say it works while others said no to waste your money. These mats are not cheap. I think it depends on the frequency that you are trying to keep out. Droning / resonance is near 90 hz. For example, bass instruments' high are in that range. As will all low frequencies, the period (distance between each wave) is longer; I think low freqencies travel better through materials than higher frequencies.

On a corvette, I can see how these mat "may" help since the "cabin sit over the entire exhaust especially over the exhaust exit. On the 5er or other sedans, the exhaust exits is under the trunk and further separated by the rear seats. I don't think it helps with droning, but I don't have any personal experience with these mats either.

On a cache note, active sound cancellation is the ultimate solution, but the cost far out weighs re-engineer the exhaust to eliminate drone / resonance without performance sacrifice.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:04 PM
Members

My Ride: 535i

has anyone tried branch resonators to counteract the droning?

yes, i realized this prehistoric thread is being hauled back from the dead.

Quick Reply: Drone Resonance and more Droning Thread