E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Drained Battery

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 11:16 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Hi All,
I did the HID conversion yesterday and attempted to fix a problem I have with the AUX in.
I took half the dash off - but no joy.
At 4am this morning the car alarm was sounding - I went out and the battery was flat!
I think I may have blown the glove compartment light/fuse during the assembly of the dash - would this drain the battery?
There was also some funny noises coming from the engine bay after I did the conversion - Like a pump priming a circuit?
Any Ideas????
Also - I can see a positive terminal beneath the hood - but no negative - could somebody help!
thanks,
Dave
Old 11-30-2008, 12:19 AM
Members

Originally Posted by owenwelsh' post='734738' date='Nov 30 2008, 08:16 AM
Hi All,
I did the HID conversion yesterday and attempted to fix a problem I have with the AUX in.
I took half the dash off - but no joy.
At 4am this morning the car alarm was sounding - I went out and the battery was flat!
I think I may have blown the glove compartment light/fuse during the assembly of the dash - would this drain the battery?
There was also some funny noises coming from the engine bay after I did the conversion - Like a pump priming a circuit?
Any Ideas????
Also - I can see a positive terminal beneath the hood - but no negative - could somebody help!
thanks,
Dave
ok - just got it started - phew!
the light switch was 'dressed' to driving lights on - no lights are actually on when I do this now - but would this drain the battery?
Old 12-01-2008, 03:49 AM
Members

Hello again.......!
Last night - the car alarm woke me (and half of my neighbours) up again.
This time I caught it in time to turn the alarm off before the battery died.
I jump started the car and took it for a drive, came back home, disconnected the ballasts from the lighting circuit and did not arm the alarm.
By the Morning the battery was as flat as a pancake!
There is a humming noise coming from the DVD/climate control area and also a noise from under the bonnet/hood which sounds like a pump cutting in and out. PLEASE HELP - any advice would be greatfully received.
Cheers,
Dave
Old 12-02-2008, 09:22 AM
Members

My Ride: 525i SE Black Saphire, Black Dakota Leather, 116 type alloys

Originally Posted by owenwelsh' post='735441' date='Dec 1 2008, 12:49 PM
Hello again.......!
I jump started the car and took it for a drive, came back home, disconnected the ballasts from the lighting circuit and did not arm the alarm.
There is a humming noise coming from the DVD/climate control area and also a noise from under the bonnet/hood which sounds like a pump cutting in and out. PLEASE HELP - any advice would be greatfully received.
Cheers,
Dave
Dave,

I had a similar experience earlier this month - although I'd not been doing any mods to mine prior to the problem ocurring. (see http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...p;#entry717947)

I had to remove and recharge the battery completely as it too was flat as a pancake when the alarm triggered. No problems to report since, but maybe the act of disconnecting the battery from the car has performed some sort of a full "power off" reset which has fixed whatever caused it in the first place.

Maybe worth you trying the same and taking the battery off and giving it a recharge for 24 hrs?

By the way, there is no "negative" terminal as such under the bonnet. If you need to jump start the car you use the "positive" terminal under the plastic cover you mentioned and connect the negative side of the jump leads to the large nut that is screwed onto the bodywork next to the near side suspension turret. (about 3 inches to the right of the strut brace mounting point as you look from the front of the car).

Regards

Kev
Old 12-02-2008, 12:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Hey owenwelsh,

"I did the HID conversion yesterday and attempted to fix a problem I have with the AUX in.
I took half the dash off..."

That did the trick, I guess. Now you need to get to the dealers.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:55 AM
Members

My Ride: 525ise, Dec 2003, Silver Grey, Black Dakota Leather, Bluetooth, 18'' Runflats, Folding mirrors, Automatic/man box,parking sensers front/rear,latest addition 645ci black saphire, with everthing on, nothing it does not have.

my car has just come back after 2 weeks in the garage due to battery discharge, had a new rear window??????????? still had problem, new alternator still had problem new battery still had problem so they have disconected the tracker and all seems fine at the moment
Old 12-03-2008, 05:47 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by owenwelsh' post='735441' date='Dec 1 2008, 07:49 AM
Hello again.......!
Cheers,
Dave
It should be your NAV DVD or CD. I always get that noise in my car after stopping the engine. Generally it should not drain your battery. It has not happened to me in spite of humming noise. If you are in doubt remove the DVD and CDs. The noise should stop, but I am not sure whether that will fix your battery issue
Old 12-04-2008, 03:52 AM
Members

Smile

Hi All - Well I've really f@(k?d things up - the car has got a Kcan Bus fault - I think I may have broken something after trying to sort the aux in problem
This fault is stopping the car from going to sleep - therefore draining the battery - Never knew that these cars has fibre optics - dont think I'll be playing again!
Old 12-04-2008, 05:31 AM
Members

My Ride: 525i SE Black Saphire, Black Dakota Leather, 116 type alloys

Originally Posted by owenwelsh' post='737634' date='Dec 4 2008, 12:52 PM
Hi All - Well I've really f@(k?d things up - the car has got a Kcan Bus fault - I think I may have broken something after trying to sort the aux in problem
This fault is stopping the car from going to sleep - therefore draining the battery - Never knew that these cars has fibre optics - dont think I'll be playing again!
Sorry to hear that. Hope you get it fixed soon and it doesn't cost you a fortune.