E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Don't have Homelink, would like to add it

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2005, 06:23 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525i, Orient Blue, bought used with 22000 miles. Grey lether, sport package, BMW Assist, Cold Weather package. Xenons. NOT premium for some reason, I do like the metal finish vs. the wood, but do miss the garage opener.
Thumbs up

Hey, has anyone else without the premium package ordered a replacement rearview mirror and added homelink? I am thinking/hoping that all I need is a new mirror, but the dealer says he doesn't see a part for it.

I asked him what would happen if somebody's mirror was broken and he needed to order one. He said he would look it up by VIN but my VIN doesn't have it, so I can't order it.

Surely this is not true. Seems like you would have power from the rain sensor and alarm light, and the homelink itself should fit all inside the mirror assembly right?
Old 04-09-2005, 07:11 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by wrlominick' date='Apr 9 2005, 06:23 AM
Hey, has anyone else without the premium package ordered a replacement rearview mirror and added homelink?? I am thinking/hoping that all I need is a new mirror, but the dealer says he doesn't see a part for it.?

I asked him what would happen if somebody's mirror was broken and he needed to order one.? He said he would look it up by VIN but my VIN doesn't have it, so I can't order it.?

Surely this is not true.? Seems like you would have power from the rain sensor and alarm light, and the homelink itself should fit all inside the mirror assembly right?
[snapback]113329[/snapback]
If the BMW configuration is like other manufacturers, there's more to it than what fits in the mirror (wiring harness changes, transmitter near front bumper, etc.).
Old 04-09-2005, 08:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 9/04 BMW E46 / 3

We are talking about that electrochrome mirror with integrated home link transmitter? That one with those 3 buttons?

If so, than there should be no problem. I did this with my new E60. It came out of the showroom and had a normal electrochrome mirror.

We retrofittet that universal transmitter part with home link in a few minutes. There was no need for new wireing or something. Old mirror out new in, that?s it.

The antenna and tramsmitter are all in the mirror no external stuff necesary.

So have fun - i use it every day, all others, my dealer included think that?s an option for playing children, but I bought the home link in all 5?s.
Old 04-09-2005, 12:21 PM
Members

My Ride: 525i, Orient Blue, bought used with 22000 miles. Grey lether, sport package, BMW Assist, Cold Weather package. Xenons. NOT premium for some reason, I do like the metal finish vs. the wood, but do miss the garage opener.

Thanks for the info. I don't have the auto-dimming mirror (I guess that's what you are saying is electrochrome?). Sounds like it should work though from what you say, if all the required components are included in the mirror assembly, unless I need a different wiring harness.

I want it because right now I have my garage door opener laying around the inside of the cabin. I think having it integrated is just neater and cleaner.
Old 04-09-2005, 12:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Mystic Blue/Black Leather Type 124 Wheels

Tell your dealer to look under the "electrical" menu on their parts computer, its there

If you dont have the Auto-dimming Interior mirror you must also get the fitment kit, it is listed with the mirror on the parts system at the dealer.

I have had these fitted to friends cars, and mine has the Auto dipping, so it took 5 min to put the mirror in
Old 04-09-2005, 12:52 PM
Members

Thanks. Any idea how much I should expect to pay? My dealer told me $1700 for bluetooth (new TCU) until I told him that people on this forum got it for $500, so I don't trust their numbers.
Old 04-09-2005, 01:33 PM
Contributors

Hi,
I know that doesen?t help you out but in germany the mirror is about 280 Euros.
If I had to do it again, I would order this thing with integrated compass
So go for that, it?s not too expensive in compare to the mirror without compass.
Old 04-09-2005, 08:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by wrlominick' date='Apr 9 2005, 02:52 PM
Thanks.? Any idea how much I should expect to pay?? My dealer told me $1700 for bluetooth (new TCU) until I told him that people on this forum got it for $500, so I don't trust their numbers.
[snapback]113451[/snapback]
I cannot speak specifically to the 5 series, but the 6 series Accessories catelog has two retofit mirrors offered. 1) w/compass only = $295 2) w/compass and Unicersal transcevier (3 button) = $495 - all US Spec. Look for the 5 series accessories catelog.
Old 04-10-2005, 12:32 AM
Contributors

Yeah, what I mean is the difference between mirror with homelink and with homelink AND compass.
That makes a difference for about 30 Euros.

He wants that homelink anyway.