E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Doing some DINAN modss.....thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 11:21 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

I'm still a newbie but I just bought a 2005 545i (AUTO) thats basically a 3rd car housed in my garage. I'm storing for the winter but here's what I'm doing (so far) come Spring.

High Flow Intake
High Flow Throttle Body
S3 Engine Software
Free Flow Exhaust

The brochure mentions a "High Flow Air Mass Meter Housing" that's "under development" available in Spring 2008 but it's not showing it available on the website. ???

This total Dinan package will give me an additional 36hp & 29ft/lb of torque.
I'm considering doing the Sprint Booster as well but because I'm doing this through my dealer all of the Dinan stuff will not void my warranty. I'm a bit leary of adding the Sprint Booster because of warranty.

Anyone have any comments?
Old 10-29-2008, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

All the SB is doing is changing the throttle response, not changing the engine performance directly.

Some members don't even take the SB off when bringing there e60 in, no problems. You can even strategically place your SB so it's almost invisible.

Mod list looks good GL, hope spring comes fast for you
Old 10-29-2008, 11:49 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

i'll trade u my AFE for the dinan intake
Old 10-29-2008, 12:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i SGM Steptronic Dinan CAI Dinan TB GTech Pro RR

Originally Posted by simmer' post='706711' date='Oct 29 2008, 02:21 PM
Hey guys,

I'm still a newbie but I just bought a 2005 545i (AUTO) thats basically a 3rd car housed in my garage. I'm storing for the winter but here's what I'm doing (so far) come Spring.

High Flow Intake
High Flow Throttle Body
S3 Engine Software
Free Flow Exhaust

The brochure mentions a "High Flow Air Mass Meter Housing" that's "under development" available in Spring 2008 but it's not showing it available on the website. ???

This total Dinan package will give me an additional 36hp & 29ft/lb of torque.
I'm considering doing the Sprint Booster as well but because I'm doing this through my dealer all of the Dinan stuff will not void my warranty. I'm a bit leary of adding the Sprint Booster because of warranty.

Anyone have any comments?
I've got all the Dinan adds you're considering except the exhaust on my 545; went with a SuperSprint instead. The air mass meter concept died in development and they never brought it to market. My recommendation is to go with the CAI, TB, Software and an exhaust. Having said that, I wasn't blown away by the performance improvement. After that, I made two low/no cost mods that were the most significant:

1. Sprintbooster: Huge add above and beyond the Dinan software. Don't worry about warranty, just remove it when you go to the dealer.
2. If you have the Steptronic tranny, search the forum for the link the 25 second reset. This will allow you to essentially reprogram the shift points to your driving style. Made a HUGE difference in my 545's responsiveness.

I also believe that there's a lot more to gain beyond the Dinan software and am investigating some reflashes but you're probably best suited to start with the Dinan.

Good luck and welcome!
Old 10-29-2008, 05:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 Alpine White e92 M3

I think Dinan are expensive IMO! SB kicks ass!!!!
Old 10-29-2008, 07:16 PM
Senior Members

Dinan stuff is very well made and worth the money IMO

I had Dinan stuff on my 06 M3 and was very happy with it. When I had to trade the car due to back problems I had no problem selling the Dinan stuff. I have used many other companies products, nothing fits, works, performs like the Dinan stuff.

Just did the software and exhaust on my 545i, love it. Better throttle response, better shift points etc, Exhaust is great as well. Do a search, I posted a review...

The best non Dinan mod is the Quaife LSD, makes the E60 drive like an M car.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:28 PM
Members

I think you'll be happy with those mods. The performance increase should be similar to a stock 550.

Consider the Stage 1 suspension package, as well. I was more impressed with the handling difference of the suspensions on my Dinan cars than I was with the "seat of the pants" performance meter. Good luck -
Old 10-30-2008, 02:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i SGM Steptronic Dinan CAI Dinan TB GTech Pro RR

Originally Posted by mhs525' post='707202' date='Oct 29 2008, 10:16 PM
Dinan stuff is very well made and worth the money IMO

I had Dinan stuff on my 06 M3 and was very happy with it. When I had to trade the car due to back problems I had no problem selling the Dinan stuff. I have used many other companies products, nothing fits, works, performs like the Dinan stuff.

Just did the software and exhaust on my 545i, love it. Better throttle response, better shift points etc, Exhaust is great as well. Do a search, I posted a review...

The best non Dinan mod is the Quaife LSD, makes the E60 drive like an M car.
Unfortunately the Dinan engine software doesn't affect the Steptronic shifting which was extremely sluggish on my CPO 545. I was disappointed after I did my software download. They've been in permanent development of transmission software for the past several years and I finally gave up waiting. I later used the 25 second re-set trick which solved the problem: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=40018

I agree, Dinan are very well engineered products and have put a lot of money into development for our E60's and for that they definitely get my support.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:26 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by brandsb' post='707424' date='Oct 30 2008, 06:46 AM
Unfortunately the Dinan engine software doesn't affect the Steptronic shifting which was extremely sluggish on my CPO 545. I was disappointed after I did my software download. They've been in permanent development of transmission software for the past several years and I finally gave up waiting. I later used the 25 second re-set trick which solved the problem: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=40018

I agree, Dinan are very well engineered products and have put a lot of money into development for our E60's and for that they definitely get my support.

The speed of the shifts may not have changed but the shift points definitely have. It shifts later when on throttle, hold gears longer, down shifts as you decelerate so the car is always ready if you decide to add power.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:08 AM
Senior Members

Yes.... the Dinan proformance parts are expensive but worth it.
All the guys that tried to save a couple bucks and bought the AFE CAI will tell you that.
Ok.. maybe not all.. but I'll go with most.

Also, you will need to remove your floor mats, for the extra speed
SB is also a good option to get along with the Dinan software upgrades.
I"m looking into a LSD as well.

GL and keep up the modding.