E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Does the RPI exhaust resonate?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 01:31 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im about to pull string on the full rpi exhaust for the 545i. I am just nervous since i dont want to spend that doe and deal with the constant hummm on the highway. Please advise i just want to make sure i am not going to buy an exhaust that will humm on the highway.

please help!!
Old 02-20-2010, 01:35 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

For the first 200 miles, it will drone quite a bit...after 1000 miles most of the drone is gone, and driving at highway speeds puts you way above 2k RPM (where some of that drone occurs)

I've had it on my car, and driving to the meets at highway speeds I can safely say that it does NOT drone at highway speeds
Old 02-21-2010, 06:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i | Silver-Grey- A08 | Premium - Sport Package | Adaptive Headlights | Logic 7 w/ CD Changer | Bluetooth | Park Distance Control | Xenon Headlights | Comfort Access [s]Sprint Booster V1[/s] | K&N filter - Stock Box w/ Charcoal Filter Removed | Clear Side LED Markers | Matte Black Grilles | RPI Air Scoop | RPI 550i GT Exhaust | 12" Kicker w/ AMP | Headlight Euro Overlays | ACS Rep Roof\Trunk Spoilers |MTEC V2 Angel Eyes | 6000k HID Fog Lights | 19" VMR v710 Stag Wheels | Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 Tires | Debadged | LED Courtesy Door Lamps | Sprint Booster V2 | Painted Calipers | M pedals\shift knob | HID License Plate Bulbs | R1 Drilled\Slotted Rotors | Hawk HPS Brakes| ACS replica front lip |

Only time I really hear mine on the highway is when I punch it.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '10 Switzer "Ultimate Street Edition" GT-R

If you have your windows up and the radio turned down low, you will not hear the exhaust....Best exhaust out there hands down!!!
Old 02-21-2010, 11:05 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

Originally Posted by skeeter
Best exhaust out there hands down!!!
+1
Old 02-21-2010, 01:58 PM
Members

Thats def good i mean i want to hear it when i slam it....but when im going driving on hw 77 to school and stuff i would rather not hear a constant humm in my ears.. when you guys got your rpi exhaust did you feel instant power on the butt dyno.... and also the rpi kit is a complete exhaust kit correct???

thanks for the info
Old 02-21-2010, 02:34 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Jackyboy545i
Thats def good i mean i want to hear it when i slam it....but when im going driving on hw 77 to school and stuff i would rather not hear a constant humm in my ears.. when you guys got your rpi exhaust did you feel instant power on the butt dyno.... and also the rpi kit is a complete exhaust kit correct???

thanks for the info
you wont hear it, i barely hear mine these days unless im outside of the car, its nice like a full exhaust to the headers

its an axle back exhaust so it only has piping to the first resonator
Old 02-21-2010, 07:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '07 530iSport PackageLuxury Packagemore to come

I have found that on my 530 I can hear the exhaust pretty well at 70. Not a bad thing though. At 80 it is just a slight humm in a bass note. At 85 I got pulled over by the cops so I can't comment on that too much.

I will admit that at first I thought I had made a huge mistake getting this exhaust. I've put about 750 miles since installing it and I will say now that I can extremely satisfied with the sound. Hard not to punch it when in a tunnel and when I am pulling into the parking deck at work I have to roll down the window to listen.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

no hum.. stop it

edit, that could have sounded wrong..

i meant there is no hum, stop it.lol
Old 02-22-2010, 05:59 AM
Members

Originally Posted by SBrown712
I have found that on my 530 I can hear the exhaust pretty well at 70. Not a bad thing though. At 80 it is just a slight humm in a bass note. At 85 I got pulled over by the cops so I can't comment on that too much.

I will admit that at first I thought I had made a huge mistake getting this exhaust. I've put about 750 miles since installing it and I will say now that I can extremely satisfied with the sound. Hard not to punch it when in a tunnel and when I am pulling into the parking deck at work I have to roll down the window to listen.
haha the noise at 85 was a siren. Hope u were able to drop that one. Do exhaust have to go thru a breaking in process. Thts the only thing I can think since after a few hundred miles it quiets a little.

Quick Reply: Does the RPI exhaust resonate?