5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods (https://5series.net/forums/e60-e61-parts-accessories-mods-22/)
-   -   Do you need hubcentric ring on OEM 166m wheels? (https://5series.net/forums/e60-e61-parts-accessories-mods-22/do-you-need-hubcentric-ring-oem-166m-wheels-29463/)

octopaganini 08-08-2006 11:08 PM

After reading so many threads about tire vibration problems, it seems a lot of them were solved with the use of hubcentric rings. I'm having some vibration between 60-70, but not a lot and only sometimes. It's very strange. It comes and goes. I'm going to get the wheels rebalanced using a Hunter 9700 road force balancer and many have suggested. But do I need hubcentric rings for OEM 166m wheel? I have Toyo T1R tires on if that makes any difference.

rodybmw 08-08-2006 11:41 PM

You don't need hubcentric rings for the 166 wheels, they have the correct diameter for the hub. Also, since 166's are OEM and they are made by BBS there is little chance of a wheel defect (unless you have a bent or damaged wheel). Most likely the problem is from the balance or the tires themselves. You are doing the right thing by having it re-balanced with the proper equipment. Hopefully that would solve it.

vegastrashed 08-09-2006 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Octo' post='320469' date='Aug 9 2006, 12:08 AM
After reading so many threads about tire vibration problems, it seems a lot of them were solved with the use of hubcentric rings. I'm having some vibration between 60-70, but not a lot and only sometimes. It's very strange. It comes and goes. I'm going to get the wheels rebalanced using a Hunter 9700 road force balancer and many have suggested. But do I need hubcentric rings for OEM 166m wheel? I have Toyo T1R tires on if that makes any difference.

Octo,
You and I have the same setup except for the rear tire size. I, too, noticed some vibration at those speeds. I attributed it to installing my spacers and was about to go back to the shop to rebalance my rear tires but I haven't had any vibrations lately. :think:

mixterk 08-10-2006 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by jiio' post='320522' date='Aug 9 2006, 01:24 PM
Octo,
You and I have the same setup except for the rear tire size. I, too, noticed some vibration at those speeds. I attributed it to installing my spacers and was about to go back to the shop to rebalance my rear tires but I haven't had any vibrations lately. :think:

No Rings as said, and yes it was a pain getting them balanced, but acheived it in the end with a slight "quiver" which is now gone so it seems that they get better after you have driven on them for a while. :thumbsup:

vegastrashed 08-10-2006 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by mixterk' post='320986' date='Aug 10 2006, 06:33 AM
No Rings as said, and yes it was a pain getting them balanced, but acheived it in the end with a slight "quiver" which is now gone so it seems that they get better after you have driven on them for a while. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the explanation. So glad I didn't have to take the car back to get re-balanced. :thumbsup:

rjjr 08-10-2006 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Octo' post='320469' date='Aug 9 2006, 02:08 AM

Drive atleast 1000 miles so the tires are broken in. Then have them rebalanced. If the wheel vibrates you have a bad tire. If you just feel the vibration then tires are still not balanced. If you can feel this vibration in the seat then it's probably a rear tire. If you feel it in the steering wheel then it's a front.

Good luck I know how agrevating this can be.

octopaganini 08-10-2006 10:42 PM

Thanks for the response guys. I just got a low tire pressure warning tonight from the left front tire. I checked it and the left front was 33.5 psi while the right front was 35 psi. This might be a possible cause for the vibration. Just wondering what kind of pressure you guys are running on your tires.