E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

DIY on tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 12:08 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,

Im struggling to find a DIY on removing my tail lights? It's probably an easy job, but i should be recieving my LED smoked tail lights tomorrow (can't afford the LCI's right now) and i wan't to fit them in straight away. Any idea's? Is it an easy job or do i need any different tools appart from the obvious spanner?
Old 02-07-2010, 12:25 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by johal
Hi guys,

Im struggling to find a DIY on removing my tail lights? It's probably an easy job, but i should be recieving my LED smoked tail lights tomorrow (can't afford the LCI's right now) and i wan't to fit them in straight away. Any idea's? Is it an easy job or do i need any different tools appart from the obvious spanner?
If you have a sedan it is a very easy DIY ... With car turned off (let it rest for 10 minutes or so to be sure all electrics are asleep) - I didn't disconnect battery or feel it should be necessary.

Remove panel covers from left and right inside trunk, unplug a couple of wiring harness, remove a few (3-4) small fasteners, and remove tail lamps. Reverse to install your LED tails. Be sure to properly position the foam gaskets that should come with your new lights. Test for operation and error codes. You might want to check for water leaks too!! If your LED tails came with resister modules, mine came with double-sided tape - mount them on a metal body panel in the taillight area away from any wiring etc. They can get hot. I also zip tied them in place to be sure they didn't shift ot get loose.

Took about 10 minutes each side.

There are a lot of posts about this mod ... probably so many it's hard to find just one!
Old 02-07-2010, 12:42 PM
Senior Members

Thanks dude. That was just what i needed to know. Will post pics of the new LED's tomorrow.