E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Which direction should I go?? Smoked Vs Traditional...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009 | 05:35 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 335i, Jet Black / Terra Dakota, 15k miles

Hey guys. Just looking for some opinions. I have a 2004 525i and have just started the modding process. I was hoping some people with Silver E60s can chime in with some pics to help me decide where to go. Here are my options...

Mtech kit, smoked tails, cleard headlights, shadowline trim, black grills

or

Mtech kit, LED tails, upgraded headlights. The more traditional look.

What Im most worried about is not having the "aggressive" look to pull off the smoked look. So could some silver e60's chime in on this? Ive looked through galleries but this is another chance to show off your 5er.

And for reference, so far its a fairly stock TiAg e60, with 20% tint, euro hl stickers, euro rear reflectors, and debadged. Oh yeah, and I dont plan on a wheel change yet as I have the wheel/tire warranty for a bit.
Old 01-28-2009 | 06:21 PM
Contributors

I would everything you mentioned, but go for the LCI tails (big difference).

The headlights seem to be next to impossible to open, or I would have baked mine and yanked out the yellow already. I still might try for myself later on. One cheap(er) alternative would be to order some euro spec pre-LCI headlights off ebay, but doing the upgrade to LCI seems to be a pain from what I have read. If you have the light silver car, I would definitely avoid tinting the tails, but that is my opinion, I think the only light color that can really pull it off is white. The darker silver however would probably look really good if you grayed the tails a bit but left it light enough that you can still see through the lens.

Have you looked into doing the headlight LED mod? I might dive into that one pretty soon, a few members have done this already so you can find all the info you need from the search bar.

Shdowline trim is a must, I think the chrome is a little much, but again this is my opinion. It seems to me that people are getting the OEM shadowline for pretty good prices from Newport BMW.
Old 01-28-2009 | 06:27 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 335i, Jet Black / Terra Dakota, 15k miles

Originally Posted by iCharles' post='779832' date='Jan 28 2009, 10:21 PM
I would everything you mentioned, but go for the LCI tails (big difference).

The headlights seem to be next to impossible to open, or I would have baked mine and yanked out the yellow already. I still might try for myself later on. One cheap(er) alternative would be to order some euro spec pre-LCI headlights off ebay, but doing the upgrade to LCI seems to be a pain from what I have read. If you have the light silver car, I would definitely avoid tinting the tails, but that is my opinion, I think the only light color that can really pull it off is white. The darker silver however would probably look really good if you grayed the tails a bit but left it light enough that you can still see through the lens.

Have you looked into doing the headlight LED mod? I might dive into that one pretty soon, a few members have done this already so you can find all the info you need from the search bar.

Shdowline trim is a must, I think the chrome is a little much, but again this is my opinion. It seems to me that people are getting the OEM shadowline for pretty good prices from Newport BMW.

Thanks for the opinion. I can fit LCI taillights onto mine? Whats the main difference. And yeah I got quoted like $210 + shipping for the shadowline, not bad.
Old 01-28-2009 | 06:51 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by aBathingApe' post='779797' date='Jan 28 2009, 09:35 PM
Mtech kit, smoked tails, cleard headlights, shadowline trim, black grills
Go with that
Old 01-28-2009 | 07:19 PM
Senior Members

I would do the first setup but smoked LCI tail lights. I really prefer the look of the new LED based tail lights and think it cleans up the rear.
Old 01-28-2009 | 08:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

I say smoked LCI.

I had mine painted recently, heres some pics.

My badges are black carbon/silver fiber too.