E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Dinan Stroker ///M5 vs RDSport ///M5 vs RPI ///M5

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 09:31 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

I had the pleasure of picking up Darren (aka Darren_Dallas from M5board) at the airport this morning and taking him to Dinan's facility in Morgan Hill to pick up his stroker M5. The car had been at Dinan's shop for over a month while they were troubleshooting some issues that caused the stroker motor to lose power. Once there, we witnessed Darren's car on Dinan's Dyna Pack (sp?) dyno. I think they did 3 runs, once with the fan turned off but I only remembered the number for the first run; 555rwhp.

While there, we had some very interesting conversations with Steve Dinan one of which I remembered him discussing the topic of rarefraction and how it's crucial in the development of the right type of equal length headers to maximize power. Of course Steve talked at length about how they troubleshooted Darren's car and what the root cause was for his power loss but that's a longer story posted on M5board which I won't go into here.

During this time, Glock-357 (John) also met up with us at Dinan and once they released the car to Darren, we took off for Mexicooo!! Of course, with the magnificent power under our beasts, we were there in no time.

The first set of runs:
Darren had a passenger in his car but he also had his stock headers and luggages in the trunk. I had John as the camera man in my car. We did a total of four runs ranging from 2nd gear, 30mph rolls to 3rd gear, 50mph rolls. I would say Darren had about 8-10 car lengths on me by the time we shut down.

Darren was happy with his results and with me with my tail between my legs, we went back to Dinan to pick up John's car. Right when we got there, I realized I was in P500, S5 the whole time and did not hit the M button.

Of course, we had to grab our passports and head back to the border.

This time, with the M button properly engaged, we captured the video below. (also added some pics)

In closing, I like to say I respectfully bow down to Darren's Dinan Beast!

Dinan Stroker ///M5 vs RDSport ///M5 vs RPI ///M5-dinan_stroker_003.jpg
Dinan Stroker ///M5 vs RDSport ///M5 vs RPI ///M5-dinan_stroker_004.jpg
Dinan Stroker ///M5 vs RDSport ///M5 vs RPI ///M5-dinan_stroker_006.jpg

And a pic of my new Brembos.
Dinan Stroker ///M5 vs RDSport ///M5 vs RPI ///M5-dinan_stroker_009.jpg
Old 12-29-2008, 09:38 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: No mods

Dinan has shocked the world once again.

Great vid Tony
Old 12-29-2008, 09:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 Alpine White e92 M3

great stuff!! but the run on the vid wasn't even close! Dinan ruled over RD?
Old 12-29-2008, 09:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Dinan 545i

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='755662' date='Dec 29 2008, 10:31 PM
I had the pleasure of picking up Darren (aka Darren_Dallas from M5board) at the airport this morning and taking him to Dinan's facility in Morgan Hill to pick up his stroker M5. The car had been at Dinan's shop for over a month while they were troubleshooting some issues that caused the stroker motor to lose power. Once there, we witnessed Darren's car on Dinan's Dyna Pack (sp?) dyno. I think they did 3 runs, once with the fan turned off but I only remembered the number for the first run; 555rwhp.

While there, we had some very interesting conversations with Steve Dinan one of which I remembered him discussing the topic of rarefraction and how it's crucial in the development of the right type of equal length headers to maximize power. Of course Steve talked at length about how they troubleshooted Darren's car and what the root cause was for his power loss but that's a longer story posted on M5board which I won't go into here.

During this time, Glock-357 (John) also met up with us at Dinan and once they released the car to Darren, we took off for Mexicooo!! Of course, with the magnificent power under our beasts, we were there in no time.

The first set of runs:
Darren had a passenger in his car but he also had his stock headers and luggages in the trunk. I had John as the camera man in my car. We did a total of four runs ranging from 2nd gear, 30mph rolls to 3rd gear, 50mph rolls. I would say Darren had about 8-10 car lengths on me by the time we shut down.

Darren was happy with his results and with me with my tail between my legs, we went back to Dinan to pick up John's car. Right when we got there, I realized I was in P500, S5 the whole time and did not hit the M button.

This time, with the M button properly engaged, we captured the video below. (also added some pics)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9zsl3Cv2PU

Attachment 68071
Attachment 68072
Attachment 68073

Attachment 68074
Old 12-29-2008, 09:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Dinan 545i

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='755662' date='Dec 29 2008, 10:31 PM

The first set of runs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9zsl3Cv2PU

Attachment 68071
Attachment 68072
Attachment 68073

Attachment 68074

Great write-up, Tony. That was the Blue M5 I saw this morning when I dropped off my car - it was driving in as I was leaving.
It would've been great to have been a 'fly on the wall' during your conversations with Mr. Dinan...
Old 12-29-2008, 10:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 M5 -- Exterior: Silverstone, Interior: Black. Fully Loaded. That just about sums it up! :-)

Oh My!
Great Vid, Tony!
-CT
Old 12-29-2008, 11:25 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

thanks for sharing. and btw, the brembos look good
Old 12-30-2008, 05:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

That thing's a beast -- glad everything worked out for Darren.
I recall hearing about the Stroker engine issues he had.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:24 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Originally Posted by radz550i' post='755667' date='Dec 29 2008, 10:40 PM
great stuff!! but the run on the vid wasn't even close! Dinan ruled over RD?
Yep, it shouldn't be a close at all. This is a stroker M5 where Dinan increased the motor size from 5.0 to 5.7. With the complete package (which, besides for the engine conversion, includes, throttle bodies, new intakes, exhaust, middle section exhaust, pulley...), the car is putting out about 630hp (crank). Darren's car also has the SuperSprint headers and I believe secondary race cats so I'm thinking his car is putting out north of 650hp. Compare that to the mods on my car which is pretty much all available bolt on products you can get and I think I'm around 570hp (again at the crank). 80hp give or take is a big difference and it shows in that video.

What would be awesome would be a contest between the Dinan stroker and the RDSport stroker.

BTW, Darren's car is the Interlagos Blue one.

Rex, wish we could have had you along for those runs as well. Looking forward to hearing your impressions of your Dinan mods on another thread.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:26 AM
Contributors

Location: Milky Way, Earth, N. America, CA, San Jose, 95136, Latitude N 37� 16.837, Longitude W 121� 50.461
My Ride: 2004 530i | Sapphire Black | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 | DPE R07 Variant S Gloss Black with Polished Lip 20x8.5 front 20x10 rear | Falken FK452 tires 245/30/20 front 275/30/20 rear | H&R Coilovers | Smoked Tail Lights | M5 trunk spoiler | AC Schnitzer style roof spoiler | HID 8000K headlights & foglights | 35% tint all around | Sprint Booster | Speed Innovation ECU tuning | M5 trunk finisher | M-Tech body kit | Remus Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer style pedals | Euro Stickers | RPi Ram Air Induction | Smoked LED Side Lenses | AC Schnitzer style e-brake handle | AC Schnitzer style shifter | AC Schnitzer style iDrive knob | AC Schnitzer style carbon fiber diffuser | carbon fiber hood/trunk/steering emblems | carbon fiber grilles | carbon fiber door pillars | MTEC v2 Angel Eyes | Hamann style carbon fiber splitter

wow! awesome post Tony.. great vid and pics!! you M5 guys and your hella fast cars driving to the border.. must be nice!!

Quick Reply: Dinan Stroker ///M5 vs RDSport ///M5 vs RPI ///M5