E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Dinan S1 driving impression (550i)?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 01:18 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I am new to the group and have done multiple searches on this and can't really find too much.

I am in the process of aquiring an '09 550i sport with the following Dinan parts included:

Cold Air Intake
Throttle Body
Stage 3 software
Free flow exhaust

I have found plenty of bashing stating that there has been no improvement on thy dynos, but what I haven't found is any comments on the actual driving experience.

Since I will not have the chance to get used to the original car before the parts, I wanted to find out from other owners who have made these mods to get their impression on these differences:

Driveability

Accelleration

Sound (better, worse, too loud, too soft, just right?)

MPG improvement or reduction

And anything else you may want to throw in there.

I am buying the car with the Dinan parts on it already, so please no "this brand exhaust is so much better...ect".

Thanks so much for your imput.

Brian
Old 10-27-2009, 01:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

to 5series.net.

I'd be interested in hearing responses as well. Yes we all do know about the thread regarding the dyno results and quarter-mile acceleration times.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:49 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

I think the best person to give you feedback on the questions above would be member Roleez. I'll PM him this thread.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:49 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

I am pretty interested in the opinions of other members on this subject, but I don't think many members on this board are running Dinan parts, and I don't think anyone has the DINAN free flow...
Old 10-27-2009, 02:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '07 550i with SP, Nav, Logic7

I have EXACT the same Dinan Parts on my 550i and let me just say it's a day and night difference.

Driveability and acceleration: This is the best part about this mod. The stock is kind of lazy off the line (even with S. With Stage3 software, it just launches like a rocket. Don't take my word for it. Do yourself a favor and test drive a stock car (at the dealer) then drive Dinan car. If you're local in the Washington DC area, I can let you test drive my car before making the decision.

Sound: deep growl. In short, how a V-8 is supposed to sound

MPG: about 1 MPG less. Part of it is now I'm so triggered happy

I've read dyno thread where many people were bashing Dinan. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but all the people I've contacted before doing this mod are very happy with the performance aspect.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '07 550i with SP, Nav, Logic7

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='1041529' date='Oct 27 2009, 05:49 PM
I think the best person to give you feedback on the questions above would be member Roleez. I'll PM him this thread.
I also contacted member Roleez and he has nothing but praise for Dinan mods.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:17 PM
Members

Originally Posted by zen68' post='1041536' date='Oct 27 2009, 03:01 PM

I have EXACT the same Dinan Parts on my 550i and let me just say it's a day and night difference.

Driveability and acceleration: This is the best part about this mod. The stock is kind of lazy off the line (even with S. With Stage3 software, it just launches like a rocket. Don't take my word for it. Do yourself a favor and test drive a stock car (at the dealer) then drive Dinan car. If you're local in the Washington DC area, I can let you test drive my car before making the decision.

Sound: deep growl. In short, how a V-8 is supposed to sound

MPG: about 1 MPG less. Part of it is now I'm so triggered happy

I've read dyno thread where many people were bashing Dinan. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but all the people I've contacted before doing this mod are very happy with the performance aspect.
Thank yo so much for the reply. That is exactly what I was hoping to get from it.

I know a lot of mods go so much further than pure dyno numbers. It's how you put them together in a package and make the driving experience more dynamic.

I also suspected the same with the mpg. I would imagine you are much harder on the throttle because its too much fun to lay off it.

Thanks for the opportunity to drive the car. I am in Las Vegas though, so I will just have to take your word for it.

I have a friend with a stock 550i, so once I get my car I will do some back-to-back seat time.

Anyone else who wants to throw in their experiences I would certainly appreciate it.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:07 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport 6MT

Welcome to the Forum!

As ECF and zen68 have pointed out, I am (or should I now say 'was') the Dinan guru when I drove around my former 06 550i. It all began when I walked into Dinan HQ about 3 months after acquiring my 550 in late winter 2006 that I became a Dinan fan. At that time there were no Dinan 550i parts available, so Steve Dinan asked if I could loan him my car for a few months to use as a development car and in return, I'd get any Dinan parts I wanted 50% off. Needless to say, I racked up the parts: CAI, TB, stage 3 software, exhaust, suspension, CF strut bar, and those awesome lightweight wheels. So off came the 550i badge and in its place went the Dinan5 badge.

Power (per Dinan) increased from 360 crank hp to 390 hp. Torque increased (again per Dinan) from 360 lb-ft to a 374 lb-ft. In stock form, the throttle response was sluggish as best. With the software, throttle response was more alive and responsive, primarily due to the software reprogramming and the much lighter wheels. Power was obviously abundant, especially when the tach revs pass 4000 rpm. The great part about the exhaust was that it made itself heard below 2000 rpm and above 4500 rpm. In between, it was silent which was perfect for highway cruising.

The best part of the whole package was torque response at low revs not to mention the awesome handling. The stance was lowered an inch at all four corners, so the 550 on Dinan suspension sat much lower and aggressive (vs. an M5 with Dinan suspension that sits about 1/2" higher). Take a corner and the ARS + Dinan springs + Koni shocks keep body roll to a minimum. The car literally claws at the pavement no matter how hard you plant your right foot. Ride comfort (and this is a HUGE plus) was stiffened just-so (vs. the OEM sport suspension calibration) to provide a more responsive, sporty ride, but not a ride (like an M5 in full EDC) that slams you into your seat and bounces all over the place. The suspension was top-notch ... stiff when you need it, and comfy when you don't. Now that I look back, I should have kept that car. If there are any questions I can help you with, feel free to PM me! And click on my 550i sig below for pics, too.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:16 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Roel, I keep seeing this titanium gray 550 near my house with Dinan wheels and it reminds me of your car but I know you moved the wheels to the M5.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by Roleez' post='1041747' date='Oct 28 2009, 01:07 AM
Welcome to the Forum!

As ECF and zen68 have pointed out, I am (or should I now say 'was') the Dinan guru when I drove around my former 06 550i. It all began when I walked into Dinan HQ about 3 months after acquiring my 550 in late winter 2006 that I became a Dinan fan. At that time there were no Dinan 550i parts available, so Steve Dinan asked if I could loan him my car for a few months to use as a development car and in return, I'd get any Dinan parts I wanted 50% off. Needless to say, I racked up the parts: CAI, TB, stage 3 software, exhaust, suspension, CF strut bar, and those awesome lightweight wheels. So off came the 550i badge and in its place went the Dinan5 badge.

Power (per Dinan) increased from 360 crank hp to 390 hp. Torque increased (again per Dinan) from 360 lb-ft to a 374 lb-ft. In stock form, the throttle response was sluggish as best. With the software, throttle response was more alive and responsive, primarily due to the software reprogramming and the much lighter wheels. Power was obviously abundant, especially when the tach revs pass 4000 rpm. The great part about the exhaust was that it made itself heard below 2000 rpm and above 4500 rpm. In between, it was silent which was perfect for highway cruising.

The best part of the whole package was torque response at low revs not to mention the awesome handling. The stance was lowered an inch at all four corners, so the 550 on Dinan suspension sat much lower and aggressive (vs. an M5 with Dinan suspension that sits about 1/2" higher). Take a corner and the ARS + Dinan springs + Koni shocks keep body roll to a minimum. The car literally claws at the pavement no matter how hard you plant your right foot. Ride comfort (and this is a HUGE plus) was stiffened just-so (vs. the OEM sport suspension calibration) to provide a more responsive, sporty ride, but not a ride (like an M5 in full EDC) that slams you into your seat and bounces all over the place. The suspension was top-notch ... stiff when you need it, and comfy when you don't. Now that I look back, I should have kept that car. If there are any questions I can help you with, feel free to PM me! And click on my 550i sig below for pics, too.
Great post. Thanks for sharing. Sounds like you loved those Dinan mods.

Quick Reply: Dinan S1 driving impression (550i)?