E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Dinan S-Packages Released

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 03:27 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also don't see anything listed on their site that says it applies to the 2008 550i.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport 6MT

Originally Posted by Richard in NC' post='510672
Sounds good on paper...wonder what happens to the fuel econ?
Haven't noticed any drastic reduction in fuel economy at all. Still getting ~17-18 mpg city / ~24-26 mpg hwy. But if I'm paying more attention to the mpg gauge and being gentle with throttle input and gear shifts, I've seen ~19-20 mpg city / ~27-28 mpg hwy.

Originally Posted by jcflys' post='510861' date='Dec 26 2007, 04:27 PM
I also don't see anything listed on their site that says it applies to the 2008 550i.
True, but the brochure I recently obtained from Dinan states that all their mods fit "2004 to 2008" E60 models.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i Sport 6M

I'm a bit of a sceptic, but that is because I've worked on engines and I just can't see how engine tuning software, exhaust, and a modified airbox can add 25 or more horsepower, especially on a naturally aspirated engine. BMW can't leave that much power on the table. I know when an engine is dynoed it is dynoed off the car and that is where the 325 (545) or 360 (550) horsepower figure comes from. There are no internal engine changes that Dinan is doing that is adding the extra 25 horsepower. The exterior engine changes (intake and exhaust) only serve to free up restrictions and that will increase rear-wheel horsepower but should not change the engine horsepower. The tuning can lean out the fuel mixture but that can only give you so much power and it seems like BMW has already maxed out the tuning side of these cars.

Are there any independant sources that can verify these claims? I would like to purchase a Dinan package but it's alot of money and I want to make sure I get what I'm paying for.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by HPLouis' post='510970' date='Dec 27 2007, 02:53 PM
I'm a bit of a sceptic, but that is because I've worked on engines and I just can't see how engine tuning software, exhaust, and a modified airbox can add 25 or more horsepower, especially on a naturally aspirated engine.
The engine exited from the fab has to last 300k miles and it doesn't have to pullute too much .
You can obtain this result with a conservative map .

The exterior engine changes (intake and exhaust) only serve to free up restrictions and that will increase rear-wheel horsepower but should not change the engine horsepower.

This is obvious, but the result is the same as to add HP at the engine
Old 12-27-2007, 10:22 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i Sport 6M

But 25 HP on a N/A engine with some computer work, exhaust and intake is a bit of a stretch. Increasing RWHP is not the same as increasing BHP. You're lessening restriction, not increasing horsepower. If a car has a driveline loss of 15% and now it is 12%, you didn't add more horsepower, you've just lessened the restriction. Alot of people get caught up in reading advertiser's claims (MY MUFFLER/AIR FILTER/PULLEYS, TORNADO, ETC. IS GOING TO GIVE ME XXX AMOUNT OF HORSEPOWER) only to see that they didn't get all the power that the advertiser has claimed. I have personal experience in this. I've been wrenching on cars for close to 15 years. I've modified them, raced them, destroyed engines, blew up trannys, drivelines, etc. and spent tens of thousands of dollars in this hobby. I also don't see where the Dinan mods are "for off-road use only" so the car is still emissions legal so it can't pollute too much.

I've done some computer tuning in the past on Ford Mustangs. Ford leaves alot on the table, more than BMW. My own supercharged Mustang Cobra R saw some increases with some computer tuning but that was a supercharged car. I've played with timing, fuel trims, etc. and I've yet to see 25 HP on a N/A car. I called a couple of friends at some speed shops and they also felt the same way I feel. Only way they've seen such a big increase on a N/A without engine work was if the car was ill running when it came to the shop for tuning.

I would still like to see some independantly verifiable information as far as the HP increases. I might be wrong. I'm not saying Dinan's claims are BS. I'm just saying that I'd like to see a before and after dyno or some sort of independant verification.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by HPLouis' post='511081' date='Dec 27 2007, 08:22 PM
I would still like to see some independantly verifiable information as far as the HP increases. I might be wrong. I'm not saying Dinan's claims are BS. I'm just saying that I'd like to see a before and after dyno or some sort of independant verification.

I'm not a Dinan customer and I think Dinan isn't something special .
My car, after a good exhaust, remap and soon catalyst, is faster than the same car stock .

Maybe it didn't gain HP as you said, but it's faster than before (I have clip before/after every mod done, 0-100 and 100-200 kmh) .
Old 12-27-2007, 05:28 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by HPLouis' post='511081' date='Dec 27 2007, 11:22 AM
But 25 HP on a N/A engine with some computer work, exhaust and intake is a bit of a stretch.
I'd have to agree with that
Old 12-27-2007, 06:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

I have to have a bit of a chuckle over this thread............ it's going nowhere ...... the V8 guys could care less about a HP upgrade via Dinan yet the I6ers are all hot and anxious about the newly announced Dinan upgrade for the TT , Isn't it better to love what you have vs looking over your shoulder for the next best thing .......... By the time you add the Dinan upgrade and the all the other performance and body parts you'll be within spitting distance of a well appointed 550MSport ...........and , with no risk of frying your engine and warranty .......... Just MHO !
Old 12-27-2007, 07:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport 6MT

Exactly. I just like having a unique E60. Don't care if people out there are nitpicky about how little power the Dinan gains are for the N/A engines. To me, 30 hp over stock is a lot, and that to me is awesome. To each his/her own.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 M6: Silverstone Metallic... Fully loaded2005 DINAN5 (545i): Jet Black... Fully loaded1955 Chevy: Custom

Amen brotha

Originally Posted by Roleez' post='511254' date='Dec 27 2007, 08:19 PM
Exactly. I just like having a unique E60. Don't care if people out there are nitpicky about how little power the Dinan gains are for the N/A engines. To me, 30 hp over stock is a lot, and that to me is awesome. To each his/her own.

Quick Reply: Dinan S-Packages Released