E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Dinan mod's to upgrade 545 to 550+

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 08:23 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When the 550 comes out, I'll have had my 544 for 18 months. By that time, I would think that Dinan would have some good modification packages to boost the 545 HP to 550 levels and above. My dealer is a certified Dinan installer, and they will do the modifications under full warantee.

Certainly, for those thinking about 'trading up' to a 550 from their 545, why not take half of the $'s you're going to lose on the trade-in and put those into Dinan modifications? If you do that, you'll have a car that will probably be faster than the 550, with exactly the same handling and features.

Looking at the resale values of a 2004 545, you're looking at paying $15 - $20K to upgrade to a 550. I'll bet Dinan will have a package that gives you 35-50 HP more for half that cost.

Just a thought for those considering an 'upgrade'.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:33 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by wolverine' date='Feb 27 2005, 12:23 PM
When the 550 comes out, I'll have had my 544 for 18 months.? By that time, I would think that Dinan would have some good modification packages to boost the 545 HP to 550 levels and above.? My dealer is a certified Dinan installer, and they will do the modifications under full warantee.

Certainly, for those thinking about 'trading up' to a 550 from their 545, why not take half of the $'s you're going to lose on the trade-in and put those into Dinan modifications?? If you do that, you'll have a car that will probably be faster than the 550, with exactly the same handling and features.

Looking at the resale values of a 2004 545, you're looking at paying $15 - $20K to upgrade to a 550.? I'll bet Dinan will have a package that gives you 35-50 HP more for half that cost.

[snapback]94944[/snapback]
I wonder if Dinan will do anything for the 530i? You know, for those of us who couldn't wait for the 545...
Old 02-27-2005, 09:19 AM
Contributors

I've had my 545 since April and I plan on keeping it at least 3 years. I could care less about the 550 or 560...570....for that matter. The 325 horse suit me just fine. I have better things to do with my money. Just my .02.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by ScorpioBMW1' date='Feb 27 2005, 10:19 AM
I've had my 545 since April and I plan on keeping it at least 3 years. I could care less about the 550 or 560...570....for that matter. The 325 horse suit me just fine. I have better things to do with my money. Just my .02.
[snapback]94966[/snapback]

Hahah there you go... I wont trade in for the 550 but I wish it was out when I got the car. Or hold off a year or two more so I'll feel like I got my car for a good while before it became outdated...
Old 02-27-2005, 04:26 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 545 Sport Week 9

Originally Posted by wolverine' date='Feb 27 2005, 10:23 AM
When the 550 comes out, I'll have had my 544 for 18 months.? By that time, I would think that Dinan would have some good modification packages to boost the 545 HP to 550 levels and above.? My dealer is a certified Dinan installer, and they will do the modifications under full warantee.

Certainly, for those thinking about 'trading up' to a 550 from their 545, why not take half of the $'s you're going to lose on the trade-in and put those into Dinan modifications?? If you do that, you'll have a car that will probably be faster than the 550, with exactly the same handling and features.

Looking at the resale values of a 2004 545, you're looking at paying $15 - $20K to upgrade to a 550.? I'll bet Dinan will have a package that gives you 35-50 HP more for half that cost.

You won't see those kind of HP numbers from mods IMO. I don't think Dinan has come anywhere close to percentage gains like that on recent model BMWs. Bottom line is that the software programming and intake/exhaust flow is much better tuned from the factory than it used to be resulting in minimal gains from tuning unless you do things like increase red line which is not advisable. Not worth messing around with your BMW warranty for a few HP IMO.
Old 02-27-2005, 04:32 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by TitaniumGray5' date='Feb 27 2005, 07:26 PM
[quote name='wolverine' date='Feb 27 2005, 10:23 AM']When the 550 comes out, I'll have had my 544 for 18 months.? By that time, I would think that Dinan would have some good modification packages to boost the 545 HP to 550 levels and above.? My dealer is a certified Dinan installer, and they will do the modifications under full warantee.

You won't see those kind of HP numbers from mods IMO. I don't think Dinan has come anywhere close to percentage gains like that on recent model BMWs. Bottom line is that the software programming and intake/exhaust flow is much better tuned from the factory than it used to be resulting in minimal gains from tuning unless you do things like increase red line which is not advisable. Not worth messing around with your BMW warranty for a few HP IMO.
[snapback]95088[/snapback]
[/quote]

Dinan is done by the dealer and doesn't void any part of the original warantee. Do you have any information on Dinan mod's to recent BMW's and their results? Any data?
Old 02-27-2005, 05:37 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood Trim, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Electric Rear Sunshades, Heated Rear Seats, Sirius Radio

A friend of mine was docked $1800 on his M3 when he traded it in on a Tougeg because of the fact that he had a Dinan chip put in. Also, the fully Dinan modified M3, which is well over $20,000, was actually slower than a stock M3 when tested by one of the auto magazines. It just makes you wonder if that is the way you want to go.
Old 02-27-2005, 05:55 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 545 Sport Week 9

Originally Posted by wolverine' date='Feb 27 2005, 06:32 PM
[quote name='TitaniumGray5' date='Feb 27 2005, 07:26 PM'][quote name='wolverine' date='Feb 27 2005, 10:23 AM']When the 550 comes out, I'll have had my 544 for 18 months.? By that time, I would think that Dinan would have some good modification packages to boost the 545 HP to 550 levels and above.? My dealer is a certified Dinan installer, and they will do the modifications under full warantee.

[/quote]

Dinan is done by the dealer and doesn't void any part of the original warantee. Do you have any information on Dinan mod's to recent BMW's and their results? Any data?
[snapback]95090[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yes, I've seen all the recent results. Do a few searches on various BMW forums to read about the BMW and Dinan warranty issues...it ain't pretty. You are incorrect about not voiding the BMW warranty. Show me a BMW document that says Dinan mods won't void their warranty? You won't find that. Dinan says they will step in and provide a warranty on their mods...but what you will find on many message boards is a lot of frustration by people in getting things warranted.
Old 02-27-2005, 06:02 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by TitaniumGray5' date='Feb 27 2005, 08:55 PM
[quote name='wolverine' date='Feb 27 2005, 06:32 PM'][quote name='TitaniumGray5' date='Feb 27 2005, 07:26 PM'][quote name='wolverine' date='Feb 27 2005, 10:23 AM']When the 550 comes out, I'll have had my 544 for 18 months.? By that time, I would think that Dinan would have some good modification packages to boost the 545 HP to 550 levels and above.? My dealer is a certified Dinan installer, and they will do the modifications under full warantee.

[/quote]

[snapback]95090[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yes, I've seen all the recent results. Do a few searches on various BMW forums to read about the BMW and Dinan warranty issues...it ain't pretty. You are incorrect about not voiding the BMW warranty. Show me a BMW document that says Dinan mods won't void their warranty? You won't find that. Dinan says they will step in and provide a warranty on their mods...but what you will find on many message boards is a lot of frustration by people in getting things warranted.
[snapback]95121[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well, it doesn't sound pretty. Do you have any actual articles? Just trying to filter out the heresay from fact, that's all. I'll ask my dealer what the scoop is. They advertise that they are a certified Dinan installer. I'll report back.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 "Stripper" Now C6 "Stripper"

Dinan is the one who claims their upgrades will not affect the factory warranty (in their website also).

If you check out Dinancars.com you'll see they have toys coming out for the 04-05 545i.

But when Mr. Dinan?

Quick Reply: Dinan mod's to upgrade 545 to 550+