E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Dinan mods still under warrenty?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 10:28 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I talked to a friend of mine, who owns a garage. He told me that if I mod my M5 dinan, the car still will be under warrenty, other mods will cancel the warrenty on my car, is it true?
Old 03-16-2010, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by bmw550ifreak
I talked to a friend of mine, who owns a garage. He told me that if I mod my M5 dinan, the car still will be under warrenty, other mods will cancel the warrenty on my car, is it true?
any mods have a possibility of voiding your bmw warranty (if proven to cause the actual problem, need for repair), however dinan provides their own warranty which covers any work needed to be done due to their products that bmw considers not covered due to aftermarket parts (in this case Dinan)
Old 03-16-2010, 03:30 PM
Senior Members

If you mod your car with Dinan products either BMW or the Dinan warranty covers your car for the first 4 years or 50k miles. Dinan is the ONLY tuner with this arrangement with BMW NA. Some BMW dealers are also Dinan dealers so it can be one stop shopping. I had Dinan parts on my 06 M3 and I have them on my 545i. They fit, they work and they are easily sold come trade in time and you need to go back to stock. When I traded my M3 the Dinan stuff was the easiest to sell.

Using other companies parts are a crap shoot and it depends on your dealer. Nobody cares if you put spoilers and lips on your car, but start messing around with the motor and things get more interesting. If you don't have experience with modding BMW's and want to start out carefully Dinan is good place to go. Check their website.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:44 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Originally Posted by mhs525
If you mod your car with Dinan products either BMW or the Dinan warranty covers your car for the first 4 years or 50k miles. Dinan is the ONLY tuner with this arrangement with BMW NA. Some BMW dealers are also Dinan dealers so it can be one stop shopping. I had Dinan parts on my 06 M3 and I have them on my 545i. They fit, they work and they are easily sold come trade in time and you need to go back to stock. When I traded my M3 the Dinan stuff was the easiest to sell.

Using other companies parts are a crap shoot and it depends on your dealer. Nobody cares if you put spoilers and lips on your car, but start messing around with the motor and things get more interesting. If you don't have experience with modding BMW's and want to start out carefully Dinan is good place to go. Check their website.
This is incorrect. Having Dinan mods on your car doesn't mean BMW will warranty your car. You only get the benefit of the Dinan warranty which will match your BMW OEM warranty up to 4yrs/50K miles. This is a common misconception. There are stories on M5Board where dealers have turned away warranty repairs because a car has Dinan parts and in some cases, they've blamed the Dinan parts for the failure and the owner has to deal with Dinan.

It's true that it's probably a lot easier to get things fixed if your dealer is also a Dinan dealer as they'll work out the warranty issues behind the scenes. It's even more true that if you have a mod friendly SA or dealer that they'll take care of the repairs against your OEM warranty but understand that BMW NA DOES NOT warranty your car cause you have Dinan parts.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:21 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan
This is incorrect. Having Dinan mods on your car doesn't mean BMW will warranty your car. You only get the benefit of the Dinan warranty which will match your BMW OEM warranty up to 4yrs/50K miles. This is a common misconception. There are stories on M5Board where dealers have turned away warranty repairs because a car has Dinan parts and in some cases, they've blamed the Dinan parts for the failure and the owner has to deal with Dinan.

It's true that it's probably a lot easier to get things fixed if your dealer is also a Dinan dealer as they'll work out the warranty issues behind the scenes. It's even more true that if you have a mod friendly SA or dealer that they'll take care of the repairs against your OEM warranty but understand that BMW NA DOES NOT warranty your car cause you have Dinan parts.
No you are incorrect. Did you read the post? It says your car is covered by the BMW OR Dinan warranty. Every BMW has a 4 yr 50k mile warranty, Dinan offers the same coverage for any parts they sell and are professionally installed by an authorized Dinan shop. Putting Dinan parts on your car does NOT void the warranty on your car. The dealer may refuse to repair a specific Dinan part on your car because it is a Dinan part but 98% of your car is still all BMW and covered by BMW.

It is possible that if you go with a non BMW dealer Dinan shop there is the chance of a pissing contest over which warranty covers a specific failure but as I said this can be avoided by going with a BMW dealer that is also a Dinan rep.

Then there are the federal laws that state a car company cannot void the entire warranty on your car because you modified something. In order to deny coverage there has to be some reasonable evidence that the modification broke that car. In other words a car company can't refuse to fix your power windows because you put a spoiler on the trunk.

Believe me I spent hours researching this and talking to a Dinan rep and a dealer service manager. I also had cars with Dinan parts serviced and fixed with no problems at all.

Nothing is perfect or 100% guaranteed. A dealer can always refuse warranty repairs by claiming you abused the vehicle, raced it, left the sunroof open in the rain, down shifted into first gear at 80 mph whatever.

Bottom line if you want to modify your car beyond cosmetics (spoilers, lips) you can't pick a safer route than Dinan in the US (in some European countries you can have your car modified with AC Schnitzer parts at the dealer with full warranty and of course for the very lucky few there is Alpina)
Old 03-16-2010, 05:39 PM
Contributors

I stand corrected. I misread your "OR". That said, we are both saying pretty much the same thing. The main misconception most people have is that BMW warrantees Dinan's parts and that's not true. BMW covers their parts and Dinan covers theirs. Dinan's warranty actually also states that they'll cover consequential damages to other parts if they find that their part caused the failure. I also know about the Magnusson-Moss Act.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:45 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Oh "I stand corrected" Come on! Where's the fun in that?
Old 03-16-2010, 05:47 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Krozi
Oh "I stand corrected" Come on! Where's the fun in that?
HAHAHA! Instigator!!
Old 03-16-2010, 09:40 PM
Contributors

True, alrigh thnanks guys. I am thinking of putting Dinan stage 1 package, not sure yet though.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:28 AM
Senior Members

True, alrigh thnanks guys. I am thinking of putting Dinan stage 1 package, not sure yet though.
When I had my M3 I loved the Dinan suspension, the car rode so much better on crappy new england roads and the turn in/cornering was definitely better. Never installed any engine mods on the M3, I thought the car was fast enough...

I was gonna post a pic of the gone but not forgotten M3 but the damn firewall here at work is blocking photobucket

Quick Reply: Dinan mods still under warrenty?