E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

DINAN mods for 2008 550i

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008 | 07:17 PM
Members

My car now has 2500 miles on it and I think it is time for a few performance mods, esspecially since I may take it out for a couple of track days this season.

Has anybody had any recent experiences with the Dinan options offered? I am thinking chip and exhaust, maybe even the S package referenced on this page.

http://www.dinancars.com/store/S-Pac...22-p-3783.html

Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated, I am not married to the idea of Dinan, if there are better alternatives out there I would love to hear about them.

Thanks!
Old 03-09-2008 | 08:48 PM
Senior Members

Dont get it, their product for the 550i are a bit overpriced and they offer very little gain. You are better off getting a new set of quad exhaust and maybe even headers and get a remap of your own from a different company.

Originally Posted by WindycityBMW' post='542142' date='Mar 9 2008, 08:17 PM
My car now has 2500 miles on it and I think it is time for a few performance mods, esspecially since I may take it out for a couple of track days this season.

Has anybody had any recent experiences with the Dinan options offered? I am thinking chip and exhaust, maybe even the S package referenced on this page.

http://www.dinancars.com/store/S-Pac...22-p-3783.html

Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated, I am not married to the idea of Dinan, if there are better alternatives out there I would love to hear about them.

Thanks!
Old 03-09-2008 | 11:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport 6MT

As you can see in my sig, I've done most of the Dinan mods on my 2006. Although pricey, I'm extremely content with my Dinan5. My 550 is a whole new car. Acceleration from the extra 30hp is lightning quick and responsive; no gentle lag like the stock setup. Plant your right foot and you'll ride on a huge wave of torque while the intake, engine, and exhaust play a melodic shrill as the revs climb over 5000 rpm. Canyon carving can be done with greater confidence; the car is seriously glued to the road with nary a hint of body roll as you execute corner after corner. Overall the car's character has been transformed into an E39 M5 in an E60 body (Steve Dinan's words). It wasn't a matter of money in my decision to go Dinan. It was their reputation of 25+ years of BMW engineering know-how and a supportive warranty that earned them my business.
Old 03-10-2008 | 05:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2013 M5 - Sakhir Orange / Black Leather.

Originally Posted by Roleez' post='542212' date='Mar 10 2008, 02:37 AM
As you can see in my sig, I've done most of the Dinan mods on my 2006. Although pricey, I'm extremely content with my Dinan5. My 550 is a whole new car. Acceleration from the extra 30hp is lightning quick and responsive; no gentle lag like the stock setup. Plant your right foot and you'll ride on a huge wave of torque while the intake, engine, and exhaust play a melodic shrill as the revs climb over 5000 rpm. Canyon carving can be done with greater confidence; the car is seriously glued to the road with nary a hint of body roll as you execute corner after corner. Overall the car's character has been transformed into an E39 M5 in an E60 body (Steve Dinan's words). It wasn't a matter of money in my decision to go Dinan. It was their reputation of 25+ years of BMW engineering know-how and a supportive warranty that earned them my business.
I agree 100%. The only additional thing I would consider is adding a Sprint Booster. It really makes a difference in throttle response.
Old 03-10-2008 | 06:01 AM
Contributors

The April 2008 issue of Bimmer Magazine has a nice write up of a Dinan S1 545i and an S2-645Ci. This set-up has a high-flow intake and throttle body, free-flow exhaust and Stage 3 software. It also includes Dinan's Stage 1 suspension, with Koni shocks, Dinan coil springs, plus camber plates, and front and rear strut braces. They also added the big brake kit and Dinan wheels.

"The exhaust note is powerful and muscular without being intrusive or loud. To call the sound magical doesn't really do it justice. Unlike many cars that combine an automatic with a free-flow exhaust, the Dinan S1-545i sounds like the two parts are actually working together rather than merely revealing each other's presence in a blatantly obvious way. There is no drone, no burble - just a nice, sonorous hum that reminds the driver of the power underfoot."

"Even with the automatic, the Dinan S1-545i is the sweetest E60 short of an M5 we've ever driven. It may not have the power of an M5, but it does have comparable handling and braking, two factors that are probably more important when it comes to everyday driving enjoyment. Two thumbs up!"

Bimmer has disliked the E60 from the beginning ... so it's interesting to read such praise from them about the Dinan package.

Sounds appealing, doesn't it?
Old 03-10-2008 | 07:19 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Roleez' post='542212' date='Mar 10 2008, 12:37 AM
I agree. I have an E61 530xiT Dinan 5 with engine mods that I am COMPLETELY happy with. They only did full exhaust, throttle body and a small airbox/intake mod, but the engine is noticeably faster, better throttle response, and better gas mileage than stock.

Dinan is "safe", and on a 65,000 car, I like "safe" in terms of mods. I suggest you go with them for all your mods.

Oh yeah, Roleez, I still want to get some friggin Dinan wheels!
Old 03-10-2008 | 10:45 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport 6MT

Originally Posted by tachyon' post='542279' date='Mar 10 2008, 06:01 AM
The April 2008 issue of Bimmer Magazine has a nice write up of a Dinan S1 545i and an S2-645Ci.
I've personally driven both these cars before Dinan sold them off to the public. The 545 did have an auto, but despite how much I'd rather drive a stick shift, I'll give the S1-545 credit for blowing my mind. Power delivery was almost the same as my car. Shifts were buttery smooth and the car plants itself in corners just like my car would. The 645 (with SMG) on the other hand was on steroids. That car had the 3.45 differential + flywheel which literally transforms the car into a slingshot. The whole point is that with the right combo of Dinan mods, any BMW will take on a new attitude that will bring miles of smiles.

JetPeter, if you want your car to be really light off its feet, get the Dinan wheels! You'll lose about 35-40 lbs. of unsprung weight, and you'll REALLY feel it when accelerating!
Old 03-11-2008 | 05:47 AM
Members

Originally Posted by tachyon' post='542279' date='Mar 10 2008, 09:01 AM
The April 2008 issue of Bimmer Magazine has a nice write up of a Dinan S1 545i and an S2-645Ci. This set-up has a high-flow intake and throttle body, free-flow exhaust and Stage 3 software. It also includes Dinan's Stage 1 suspension, with Koni shocks, Dinan coil springs, plus camber plates, and front and rear strut braces. They also added the big brake kit and Dinan wheels.

"The exhaust note is powerful and muscular without being intrusive or loud. To call the sound magical doesn't really do it justice. Unlike many cars that combine an automatic with a free-flow exhaust, the Dinan S1-545i sounds like the two parts are actually working together rather than merely revealing each other's presence in a blatantly obvious way. There is no drone, no burble - just a nice, sonorous hum that reminds the driver of the power underfoot."

"Even with the automatic, the Dinan S1-545i is the sweetest E60 short of an M5 we've ever driven. It may not have the power of an M5, but it does have comparable handling and braking, two factors that are probably more important when it comes to everyday driving enjoyment. Two thumbs up!"

Bimmer has disliked the E60 from the beginning ... so it's interesting to read such praise from them about the Dinan package.

Sounds appealing, doesn't it?
That does sound appealing!

Tachyon, I see you are alos in Chicago. Can you let me know where you had your mods done?

Thanks!