E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Dinan

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008 | 05:48 PM
Senior Members

So after seeing the mods of some of the other members I figured I would jump in as well and make some upgrades. While I would like to go with the less expensive exterior mods, such as rims, kits, etc., I was wondering what type of performance numbers would I be getting if I saved the extra dough for Dinan's Performance Engine Software Upgrades?

http://www.dinancars.com/store/Engin...p-1-c-768.html

The two stages as well as the free flow exhaust are there and I really like the sounds of both of them. I know the stats, such as increase in horsepower and torque as they are provided on the site itself. But what about the actual performance? Does anyone actually have the upgrades and can tell me acceleration times and stuff like that? Or for those that don't have them, what have you heard?

I realize Dinan is pricey, but 1. many people seem to think their products are worth it and 2. the warranty provided after the work is done is also a little comforting. I just want to make sure that the 2 grand I spend on any of those parts is actually worth it.

I havea 535xi, btw.
Old 07-25-2008 | 05:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Dinan would be a good choice. PM member Pennetta as he's done the Dinan upgrades on his 535, however, yours is an Xi which I'd imagine would be a bit heavier so I don't think you can get quite the same performance numbers he has, if he has any.

Besides for the things you listed as positives about the Dinan upgrade, I also like the fact that their software is a true remap of the factory software and not a piggy back system.

Go for it and enjoy the added power!
Old 07-25-2008 | 06:51 PM
Senior Members

All right, well, I PM'd him and we'll see. I guess I just posted at the wrong time. Maybe tomorrow.
Old 07-25-2008 | 07:42 PM
Contributors

You might also want to try member BlackonBlackonBlack (Wendell) cause he also has the Dinan software, although his car is a 335 convertible. I've been in his car and that thing pulled pretty hard, granted I hadn't experience the car before the tune.

Also, forgot where you're from but also ping JetBlack (Chris), he's a member here but also a sales guy at Dinan in Morgan Hill. Very knowledgeable person and maybe he can work a deal for you.
Old 07-25-2008 | 08:07 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='632933' date='Jul 25 2008, 10:42 PM
You might also want to try member BlackonBlackonBlack (Wendell) cause he also has the Dinan software, although his car is a 335 convertible. I've been in his car and that thing pulled pretty hard, granted I hadn't experience the car before the tune.

Also, forgot where you're from but also ping JetBlack (Chris), he's a member here but also a sales guy at Dinan in Morgan Hill. Very knowledgeable person and maybe he can work a deal for you.

Morgan Hill......? I'm from Chicago.

My dealership does show up as a place for Dinan stuff to be sent to, I guess. I don't know what I do if I wanted to order (which I'm not). Buy it from Dinan, send to my dealer and just get it installed? Then there's the labor fee for that too. Guess I'm gonna need more than just 2 grand.
Old 07-25-2008 | 08:20 PM
Contributors

You'll need to go through your local Dinan dealer but just thought maybe Chris might be able to help with the pricing. Not sure if it's possible but worth a shot.
Old 07-26-2008 | 09:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

The Dinan stage 2 is what I have. The increase in performance is hugh but not much of an increase with the exhaust. I have not had the car timed before or after but seat of the pants is significant. I haven't had any problems and I just had it's first emission state inspection and it passed. Very pleased and would do it again.
Old 07-26-2008 | 09:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

Originally Posted by E60714' post='632890' date='Jul 25 2008, 09:48 PM
........While I would like to go with the less expensive exterior mods, such as rims, kits, etc., ............if I saved the extra dough for Dinan's Performance Engine Software Upgrades?
I realize Dinan is pricey,........ I just want to make sure that the 2 grand I spend on any of those parts is actually worth it.
You may have it a little backwards, the exterior mods may cost MORE than the software and will not transform the car the way 384hp & 421lbs/ft of torque will.
Old 07-26-2008 | 11:19 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='633109
You may have it a little backwards, the exterior mods may cost MORE than the software and will not transform the car the way 384hp & 421lbs/ft of torque will.

Ah ok. Well, I have yet to come across a site with parts for BMW. As weird as that sounds, I have searched Google for everything and have yet to come up with places other than Dinan, Alpina and just today, Hamann (sp.). Members on here are getting rims, but I don't know where from. AC Schnitzer? I was on their site but had no luck finding the different types of rims.
Old 07-26-2008 | 11:36 AM
Contributors

There are a lot of companies that make stuff for the E60. How about you give us an idea of what you want done and we can give you some brands/names/suggestions.

Quick Reply: Dinan