E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Definitive answer on XM integration?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 05:30 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 1985 325e (sold it in 1996) // 2001 Z3 2.5 / White / Blk Lthr / 5-spd (wife's) // 04 530i / Metallic Blk / Beige Lthr / 6-spd / Logic7 / 19" 166 Michelin Pilot Sp

If I understand all of the various, disparate messages on this board regarding XM install in a non-prewired & non-NAV-equipped 2004 530i with Logic7, the answer is that the only way to have satellite radio is to use the wireless XM antenna option. The wireless antenna then 'talks' to the BMW's sharkfin antenna (or whatever antenna it has), which then uses FM modulation (essentially any unused [static] frequency) to send the signal to the sound system. I have heard that, since the FCC has restricted the power of said wireless antennas, the satellite reception is via this method is spotty at best.

Are these conclusions correct?

I am severely disillusioned by this if so; I really like to have satellite radio, but apparently BMW decided that those with my config are totally SOL. Unless, of course, I'm willing to spend upwards of a grand or more for the dealer to install the necessary upgrades. (Interestingly, and counter to what I have read on these boards, my local BMW dealer [Autowerks in Minneapolis] told me that there was no way at all for them or anyone else to install satellite radio, as my VIN indicates that I do not have prewiring for it.)

My XM installer suggests that if I want to go with the wireless, he'd install it, but if it doesn't work well (he indicated that it works only 10% of the time), he'd take it back out minus the labor cost. I'm wondering if that would be worth a try.

Anyone with input please respond, especially anyone that uses the wireless option. What are your experiences with it? Thanks.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I think there have been some successful retrofits of the BMW Sirius unit on cars that were not pre-wired. Not sure if that's something you're looking for of if you're sold on XM and don't want Sirius.

Do a forum search here -- there's plenty of info out there...