E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Dealer Car Cover

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 05:50 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a Noah/Evolution4 Tan Cover bought from BMW and really like it. I have used covers for 20 years. Here's a few tips...get custom fit or you will regret it the first time the wind blows...ability to run a bungee or lock underneath the car and attach to grommets is a plus...the thicker the material the more likely it will repel hail dings...be prepared for cover dust, some times a lot, on your car after you remove the cover...wash cover regularly (on the car, just spray it off and let it dry) and shake it out often...get one with FRONT labeled on the front or you will spend a good deal of time unwinding it each time...pack it with the word FRONT visible so you know where to position the cover...put over the side mirrors first then the front and back...if you park at airports, they will need to see your license plate# OR you can write it on the back of the cover...you might NOT want BMW written on it as this advertises what's underneath. Hope this helps!!
Old 11-13-2007, 09:47 PM
Members

Originally Posted by hoganzdad' post='494008' date='Nov 14 2007, 10:50 AM
Have a Noah/Evolution4 Tan Cover bought from BMW and really like it. I have used covers for 20 years. Here's a few tips...get custom fit or you will regret it the first time the wind blows...ability to run a bungee or lock underneath the car and attach to grommets is a plus...the thicker the material the more likely it will repel hail dings...be prepared for cover dust, some times a lot, on your car after you remove the cover...wash cover regularly (on the car, just spray it off and let it dry) and shake it out often...get one with FRONT labeled on the front or you will spend a good deal of time unwinding it each time...pack it with the word FRONT visible so you know where to position the cover...put over the side mirrors first then the front and back...if you park at airports, they will need to see your license plate# OR you can write it on the back of the cover...you might NOT want BMW written on it as this advertises what's underneath. Hope this helps!!
Thanks for all the good advice, especially the part about washing the cover while it is on the car (never thought of that). Many years ago I had a car cover but was not sure what material it was made of, it was sort of a fabric type and I used it outdoors and I remember I had some clouding of the paint after the cover got wet and left to dry on the car when the sun was out. Do you have any problems with this, I guess it has to do with the material, whether it is breathable.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:57 AM
Members

One more tip...carry around a large plastic bag or a plastic bin in your trunk for when you have to remove the cover wet. Otherwise a large puddle in your trunk will result.