E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

dangers of DIY

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 03:33 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EvolutionVIII
haha, i litteraly just went through this the other day. same exact problem. i checked all the fuses and thought my unit was bad. the DTC, heated seat buttons control the function of both seat movement. check to make sure that the unit has 3 plugs plugged in. i only saw two when i had my car appart but when i took it back out, i saw one black plug stuck behind two cables and it was not plugged in. that was my problem, could be the same for you.
As I e-mailed to Kris--I am dreading tearing apart that dash AGAIN. Is it possible to get the lower part of the dash apart without taking out the radio/computer--I cant remember if that middle unit with the radio will prohibit that. The lower part always seems like it is going to snap in half.

Mike
Old 07-05-2011, 07:33 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545i

Originally Posted by mwolfe
As I e-mailed to Kris--I am dreading tearing apart that dash AGAIN. Is it possible to get the lower part of the dash apart without taking out the radio/computer--I cant remember if that middle unit with the radio will prohibit that. The lower part always seems like it is going to snap in half.

Mike
No just pop off the top trim that runs across the dash with vents. Then there's two Phillips that hold the AC unit on top n then the rest pops out. I start from the top working left side and right side goin towards the bottom. I used a wide plastic matco panel tool remover.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i

Originally Posted by EvolutionVIII
No just pop off the top trim that runs across the dash with vents. Then there's two Phillips that hold the AC unit on top n then the rest pops out. I start from the top working left side and right side goin towards the bottom. I used a wide plastic matco panel tool remover.

I dont be to go off topic but this appears to be the best place to ask this question as opposed to creating a new topic.

Does this top trim click into place? The reason i ask is because today as i was getting into my car i noticed my top trim sticking out away from the dash. i included pics so you can see what i am referring to. My first thought was that there was some sort of glue holding it into place. after reading your post i am now curious if i were to just apply a lot of pressure to it, will it "pop back in" to whatever device was holding it? I was hesitant to pull it any further in order to get a good look underneath it. If it helps at my car is an 08 535i.
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails dangers of DIY-photo.jpg   dangers of DIY-photo1.jpg  
Old 07-13-2011, 11:17 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by epilithic
I dont be to go off topic but this appears to be the best place to ask this question as opposed to creating a new topic.

Does this top trim click into place? The reason i ask is because today as i was getting into my car i noticed my top trim sticking out away from the dash. i included pics so you can see what i am referring to. My first thought was that there was some sort of glue holding it into place. after reading your post i am now curious if i were to just apply a lot of pressure to it, will it "pop back in" to whatever device was holding it? I was hesitant to pull it any further in order to get a good look underneath it. If it helps at my car is an 08 535i.
Thanks.
Just push it back. The trim piece is hold on place only with some metal taps in rubber holes. They don't even click when pushed in. Just push.

- Antti -
Old 07-14-2011, 11:10 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Anzafin
Just push it back. The trim piece is hold on place only with some metal taps in rubber holes. They don't even click when pushed in. Just push.

- Antti -

Update*

After some reading i pulled off the dash trim completely to inspect the metal taps and rubber holes. The rubber piece was completely destroyed and looked as if someone tried to rip it out with a pair of pliers. This is quite strange because i have never taken the dash trim off until now. Anyhow i included some pictures of the rubber piece.
Attached Thumbnails dangers of DIY-dash-piece-2.jpg   dangers of DIY-dash-piece-1.jpg  
Old 07-14-2011, 11:25 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by epilithic
Update*

After some reading i pulled off the dash trim completely to inspect the metal taps and rubber holes. The rubber piece was completely destroyed and looked as if someone tried to rip it out with a pair of pliers. This is quite strange because i have never taken the dash trim off until now. Anyhow i included some pictures of the rubber piece.
I think you can get a new from the dealer.

- Antti -

ps. Nice camo! I'm wearing this:

Old 07-14-2011, 11:35 AM
Members

I will be taking apart my dash--AGAIN --to try to find the electical problem. I will update the results after the weekend. Wish me luck.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:43 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Anzafin
I think you can get a new from the dealer.

- Antti -

ps. Nice camo! I'm wearing this:

Ill have to review this post when i get home tonight, these DoD work computers are very selective in what images are displayed so i couldnt view the picture.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:43 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mwolfe
I will be taking apart my dash--AGAIN --to try to find the electical problem. I will update the results after the weekend. Wish me luck.
Good luck!
Old 08-03-2011, 04:22 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545i

What was the outcome ?

Quick Reply: dangers of DIY