E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

dangers of DIY

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 08:40 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally bit the bullet and bought the Modmynav reverse camera. Thanks Kris (He is really great, supportive, and speedy with replies to questions).

I got everything back together and was cleaning up, when I noticed that my seats were not moving. I started to check around my car/console and noticed other thing were not working: seat heaters, DSC is inactive, PDC cannot be switched on/off with the button but works with reverse (manual transmission)--all these things (except the seats) seem to be linked to the bottom most dash panel (with the ashtray). Both wire harnesses were reattached when I put it back together. I was having a bitch of a time getting the radio back in and was putting some pressure on some wire bundles.

Otherwise the car works great. The reverse camera is working.

Anyone have nay clue? Could it just be a fuse(please say yes)? The fuse box is huge--is there an easy way to find the fuse? Is there another fuse box beside the on ein the trunk (isn't there another one behind the glove box?

Any help will be appreciated before I spend a bizzillion $$$ on a repair shop.

Mike
Old 07-05-2011, 08:45 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

I guess you didn't disconnect the battery when installing?

There's a fuse box in a glove box and another in a trunk; on the right side under the paneling. The battery is there too.
I have a fuse diagram in the "roof" of the trunk, in a tool box.

- Antti -

edit:
I found this, but not all fuses are here:

Check connections again, if they're ok, try disconnecting battery for an ½ hour or so and then reconnect. See if it helps any.

edit 2:
Another pic:
Old 07-05-2011, 08:56 AM
Members

Thanks--I did but about half way through and then had to hook it back up to program the interface for the camera. BTW, what is the best way to unhook the battery. I did the pos(+) terminal because it was easy.

Mike
Old 07-05-2011, 09:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Are you sure? I think (-) is the easier one and should be always the one which is disconnected.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:09 AM
Senior Members

Hey Mike. Wish I knew more and could help. I do have a service manual handy though if you feel like borrowing it. Good luck and hope you get this squared away.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:27 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

The car's computer might just need to go to sleep or shut down entirely and started back up again.

I remember I did a mod (forget which one it was) and afterward my steering wheel's electronic adjustment wouldn't work anymore. I freaked out a little bit but was too tired to deal with it at the time, half an hour later, after watching a comedy show for the lulz, I went out and checked on it again. And voila, it magically started working again.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 520d - 19" 172s- Remapped - LCI taillights V6 cables - LCI xenon headlights - Denison 500 with BTA1500 - led interior lights - OEM led number plate lights Planned mods: Folding mirrors - Modmynav kit - High gloss shadowline trim -

Pretty sure negative is the one that should be disconnected
Old 07-05-2011, 12:25 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: 09' E92 M3

Mike,

If you need to disconnect the battery, negative (-) is the one that you need to disconnect.

Did you get your problem fixed?

If you need any helps, please feel free to contact me.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

Don`t disconnect the positive terminal, it has an explosive charge on the cable to disconnect the battery in an emergency.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:02 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545i

haha, i litteraly just went through this the other day. same exact problem. i checked all the fuses and thought my unit was bad. the DTC, heated seat buttons control the function of both seat movement. check to make sure that the unit has 3 plugs plugged in. i only saw two when i had my car appart but when i took it back out, i saw one black plug stuck behind two cables and it was not plugged in. that was my problem, could be the same for you.

Quick Reply: dangers of DIY