E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Custom Mtech front splitter: anyone intrested

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 07:54 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the proces of making a custom Hamann M5 style splitter that fits the Mtech front bumper. As you can c in the picture Hamann is making a splitter for the M5 front bumper but has no plans (i emailed them) to make it for the Mtech front bumper. The mtech front bumper is not the same as the M5 bumper so i bought another Mtech front bumper so i could use that bumper to start fitting and designing the Hamann style front splitter.

If i finish this splitter is anybody intrested in one to? I can make a mold of it before painting and make some copys of it and sell them. The cost of my custom Hamann splitter is to high if i make only 1 copy. In making more i can devide the designing cost over more splitters. This is more intresting for me.
Attached Thumbnails Custom Mtech front splitter: anyone intrested-5.jpg   Custom Mtech front splitter: anyone intrested-9.jpg   Custom Mtech front splitter: anyone intrested-8.jpg   Custom Mtech front splitter: anyone intrested-gemod.jpg  
Old 01-11-2006, 08:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Melbourne Red X6M

I am interested! Let us know the price once you have one in mind.

David
Old 01-11-2006, 08:50 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bleudyno' post='222774' date='Jan 11 2006, 06:37 PM
I am interested! Let us know the price once you have one in mind.

David
Depends a bit on the work to replicate the splitter. I suppose if you take it out of the mold some work has to be done to it , to prep it for paint and spray. Depends on the work and the mold.

Time line:

A close friend of mine who is a profesional guy with fiberglass (he makes wide bodys and stuff) is making the splitter as we speak. He says he will finish it in 2 or 3 weeks time.

After that he will make a mold: dont know how long that will take

After that we replicate the splitter. When i have the first replica i will calculate the cost and put it up on ebay or something. THis way ebay can monitor the transaction. I have 75 perfekt feedbacks score 1OO% , this way people know i am not a gangsta or something. The feedback possibilety of ebay should also be very
helpfull to convince people of the qualety of the work.

I am now thinking about 4OO dollar + shipping but it depends on the euro/dollar and i did not calculate anything yet.

I am a very critical person. I am in the show scene with show cars and kinda well know worldwide. I cant afford a disaster or the risk of a bad splitter hurting my reputation So i will first be very strict about the design. I want a as close match as possibel to the Hamann design. The hamman splitter cost about 7OO euro here in Europe for M5. If i can get the cost to 4OO a piece it should sell ok i think. But not sure yet. Depends also on the number i can make. If i sell 2 or 2O , it makes a difference. I also have to design a good way of installing the splitter so it can be taken off the bumper again if people want to drive a long period without the splitter. So i wont design it as a piece to mold on the existing bumper. I want it tthat it can be taken off also.

The Haman splitter is not flat, its a complicated design with the 2 outer end curves, and the middle portion of the splitter is somewhat deeper and the curve of the middle portion of the splitter is more round then the 2 left /right pieces. I want to first replicate this complicated design before i start selling. I will then first paint my copy of the splitter , put in on my car and showing off the pics to show its a nice design.

Also the left right end pieces of the splitter have different heights and thickness. All that has to be perfekt and the fitting must be perfekt. If i succes i will sell it.

If other people are intrested but not sure just answer this topic, email notification should warn all intrested people if the time to sell them is there.

I wont rush things. I think i need 1 or 2 months starting now before i can sell the first pieces.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 M6: Silverstone Metallic... Fully loaded2005 DINAN5 (545i): Jet Black... Fully loaded1955 Chevy: Custom

I'm in... Let me know
Old 01-11-2006, 03:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 640D MSPORT GT

Originally Posted by freed0m' post='222970' date='Jan 11 2006, 11:40 PM
I'm in... Let me know
yes 1 for me if it fits stock bmw msport 535d front valence and is removable/detachable,looks great.
design a better back skirt for msport it looks unfinished MO
ai cant remember what hammann did on the back
could you supply finished in carbon black ready to fit?
great project
Old 01-11-2006, 10:44 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by radioham' post='222979
I'm in... Let me know
yes 1 for me if it fits stock bmw msport 535d front valence and is removable/detachable,looks great.
design a better back skirt for msport it looks unfinished MO
ai cant remember what hammann did on the back
could you supply finished in carbon black ready to fit?
great project
[/quote]

In the second stage of the projekt i have a deal to send the Mtech front bumper to a guy in hong kong who makes replicas for a living. He will design a Hartge splitter for it that looks different from the haman. In return i get 2 splitters, one of them being carbon. But that a long wait; another 4 months i think until that second projekt will be finished.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:58 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

I might be interested also. The Hartge splitter in the picture below looks great. I can't really tell the difference between the Hartge and the Hamann above but for some reason, I like the Hartge better. Maybe it's the color.

Anyone know how much the Hartge splitter costs?

Custom Mtech front splitter: anyone intrested-hartge_mtech_splitter.jpg
Old 01-16-2006, 10:02 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='225193' date='Jan 17 2006, 01:58 AM
I might be interested also. The Hartge splitter in the picture below looks great. I can't really tell the difference between the Hartge and the Hamann above but for some reason, I like the Hartge better. Maybe it's the color.

Anyone know how much the Hartge splitter costs?

Attachment 14398
The hartge splitter: the middle portion of the splitter is directly attached to the middle portion of the bumper.
The Hamann splitter: the middle portion is running straight leaving a gap under the middle portion of the bumper.

I will have a Hartge splitter to but i depend on another guy for that and it will take a couple of more months to make. I will have 2 hartge splitters: a fiberglass one and a carbon fiber one but i will keep one of those for myself so i dont know what one i am going to sell. But the hartge splitter will take 2 more months to make i think. If you subscribe to this topic i will keep you updated.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:54 AM
Senior Members

Update on my projekt
Attached Thumbnails Custom Mtech front splitter: anyone intrested-100_0003.jpg   Custom Mtech front splitter: anyone intrested-100_0005.jpg   Custom Mtech front splitter: anyone intrested-100_0008.jpg   Custom Mtech front splitter: anyone intrested-100_0022.jpg   Custom Mtech front splitter: anyone intrested-100_0023.jpg  

Custom Mtech front splitter: anyone intrested-100_0024.jpg   Custom Mtech front splitter: anyone intrested-100_0027.jpg   Custom Mtech front splitter: anyone intrested-100_0028.jpg  
Old 02-19-2006, 04:59 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pmmeke' post='242668' date='Feb 19 2006, 02:54 PM
Update on my projekt
Attached Thumbnails Custom Mtech front splitter: anyone intrested-100_0029.jpg   Custom Mtech front splitter: anyone intrested-100_0031.jpg   Custom Mtech front splitter: anyone intrested-100_0032.jpg   Custom Mtech front splitter: anyone intrested-100_0033.jpg   Custom Mtech front splitter: anyone intrested-100_0034.jpg  

Custom Mtech front splitter: anyone intrested-100_0035.jpg   Custom Mtech front splitter: anyone intrested-100_0036.jpg  

Quick Reply: Custom Mtech front splitter: anyone intrested