E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Custom iPhone/iPhone 3G ashtray dock

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 05:50 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the BMW iPod adaptor in the glovebox. As most of you know, the iPhone 3G doesn't charge with it, at least not until a pass through charge adaptor comes out. I wanted my iPhone 3G in easy reach so I can listen to Pandora and Last FM and easily be able to touch the iPhone to skip to the next song or change stations. As a bonus, when and if the iPhone 3G GPS software comes out, I wanted to have the phone in clear sight of the sky so that I could use it for turn by turn GPS, since I unfortunately did not take Nav as a factory option. I also wanted to have an integrated charging solution, so I built my own custom dock for it.

Here it is. After many hours of center console disassembly, reassembly, and Bondo and paint work on the plastic insert the ashtray used to clip into, my custom iPhone 3G dock is complete. Underneath the center console wood trim is a Griffin Autopilot charger/aux output which is hardwired in to the cigarette lighter next to what was the ashtray. The end connector of the Autopilot is connected to the dock (obviously) and the aux output of the Autopilot is connected to the aux input in the glovebox. The Autopilot is powered by the cigarette lighter next to it.

To make the dock, I used an old dock insert I had laying around from the Logitech Pure-Fi Anywhere I have. I epoxy glued the connector to the dock insert and then Bondo'd it in to the ashtray holder.

So now I have my old iPod Photo 30gb hooked up in the glovebox for my iPod needs and my iPhone 3G hooked into the ashtray for my internet radio needs.

Good to go.

Custom iPhone/iPhone 3G ashtray dock-ashtrayclosed.jpg
Custom iPhone/iPhone 3G ashtray dock-dockopen.jpg
Custom iPhone/iPhone 3G ashtray dock-iphoneindock.jpg
Old 08-05-2008, 06:00 PM
Members

love it! should be a BMW option!

Originally Posted by acribb' post='640463' date='Aug 5 2008, 06:50 PM
I have the BMW iPod adaptor in the glovebox. As most of you know, the iPhone 3G doesn't charge with it, at least not until a pass through charge adaptor comes out. I wanted my iPhone 3G in easy reach so I can listen to Pandora and Last FM and easily be able to touch the iPhone to skip to the next song or change stations. As a bonus, when and if the iPhone 3G GPS software comes out, I wanted to have the phone in clear sight of the sky so that I could use it for turn by turn GPS, since I unfortunately did not take Nav as a factory option. I also wanted to have an integrated charging solution, so I built my own custom dock for it.

Here it is. After many hours of center console disassembly, reassembly, and Bondo and paint work on the plastic insert the ashtray used to clip into, my custom iPhone 3G dock is complete. Underneath the center console wood trim is a Griffin Autopilot charger/aux output which is hardwired in to the cigarette lighter next to what was the ashtray. The end connector of the Autopilot is connected to the dock (obviously) and the aux output of the Autopilot is connected to the aux input in the glovebox. The Autopilot is powered by the cigarette lighter next to it.

To make the dock, I used an old dock insert I had laying around from the Logitech Pure-Fi Anywhere I have. I epoxy glued the connector to the dock insert and then Bondo'd it in to the ashtray holder.

So now I have my old iPod Photo 30gb hooked up in the glovebox for my iPod needs and my iPhone 3G hooked into the ashtray for my internet radio needs.

Good to go.

Attachment 56211
Attachment 56212
Attachment 56213
Old 08-05-2008, 06:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E60 530i Color: Jet Black/Black Anthracite STEP | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 EXTERIOR: M-Tech Kit | M5 Mirrors, Trunk Finisher | Jet Black Kidney Surrounds | Madico Charcool Tint 54%, 35% LIGHTING: Euro-Headlights | Euro-LCI Tail Lights | AiB V3.0 | Solaris Invisi-bulbs | OEM LED Plate Lights PERFORMANCE: Porterfield R4-S Brake Pads | K&N Air Filter WHEELS & SUSPENSION: Work VS-XX 20x9, 20x10 | Toyo T1R 245/30/20, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 295/25/20 | KW V2 Coilovers | Rogue Engineering 15mm Spacers

Nice mod. Makes me want an iPhone.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Awesome!!! I wish my car had that dock.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:40 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: F10 535I
Model Year: 2016

Looks good.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by acribb' post='640463' date='Aug 5 2008, 09:50 PM

Good to go.

Attachment 56211
Attachment 56212
Attachment 56213

=======================================

That is the custom best set up for an iphone in a e60 yet!! (I wish I could do my Razr cell that way to sit in a custom dock and charge!! Could you build one for a Motorola Razr cell phone? If so how much would you charge to build it for me$$???)

Eddie Presley
Old 08-06-2008, 07:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535i, A/T & Paddle Shifters, AW, NB Leather, Sport, Premium, Nav, 6FL

COOL impressive work!
Old 08-06-2008, 07:23 AM
Members

that was pretty impressive. i have a small business of cell phone accesories and am looking out for retail stores, online stores would work to, does anyone have an idea about such stores?

thanks,
Sam

Old 08-06-2008, 07:23 AM
Senior Members

thats cool for iphone owners
Old 08-06-2008, 07:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Quite slick, nice work...I was thinking about something like this for my AT&T Tilt.

Quick Reply: Custom iPhone/iPhone 3G ashtray dock